Challenge 2: Long Shadows - Open to Submissions

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge 2: Long Shadows

Unread post by bakubo »

stevecim, is that a eucalyptus tree? There are tons of them in California. Wikipedia says this:

"In the 1850s Eucalyptus trees were introduced to California by Australians travelling to California during the California Gold Rush. Much of California has a similar climate to parts of Australia. By the early 1900s thousands of acres of eucalypts were planted with the encouragement of the state government. It was hoped that they would provide a renewable source of timber for construction and furniture making."
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Forgive me as I'm posting this shot made with a Nikon (either FM2 or F3) with UD-Nikkor 20/3.5
This was shot in Yerevan, April 1992. The crowd was gathered at Lenin's square (now Republic square) just before dismantling Lenin's statue.

A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

Dr. Harout wrote:The crowd was gathered at Lenin's square ...
Wow! I think it's gonna be hard to beat this one!

Umm ... what do you think about cropping away the statue's pedestal's shadow? Maybe that would make the image even stronger ... just wondering ...

-- Olaf
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Double wow! Doc, that is such a great picture. There can not be many "shadows" cast as long as Lenin's.

That gets an A+, gold medal, 5* from me. Any more picture from the event (I guess they'd have to go on a different post)?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

01af wrote:
Dr. Harout wrote:The crowd was gathered at Lenin's square ...
Wow! I think it's gonna be hard to beat this one!

Umm ... what do you think about cropping away the statue's pedestal's shadow? Maybe that would make the image even stronger ... just wondering ...

-- Olaf
Of course, under the enlarger Doc could have let the paper flop off the edge of an easel, so the shadow got longer, and burned it in to compensate for the loss of light - and no-one would ever claim 'manipulation!' because you can't tell easily if the paper has been tilted.

Digitally, he could remove some of the dead space in the middle of the shot, and extend Lenin's shadow closer to the crowd, making it longer. It would be a fake picture, but would it be a lie?

David
Dr. Harout

You mean something like this?
Sorry for a second post.
lenin02.jpg

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dr. Harout wrote:You mean something like this?
Impressive! Editorially so. Distinguishes itself from other 'long shadow' themed photos in its own path as a historical threshold for a nation.
This thread is a good example for the power a single theme can regenerate everytime with different persons' look at life around them to tell different stories that are close to the human heart and existence and become meaningful.

Yildiz
MFS
Heirophant

Unread post by MFS »

Great shadow cast shot Doctor. One with a historical Value. Hard too beat, if not impossible. Like the original better than the adjusted. By taking away the space in the middle you removed "the distance" between a leader and his people. In the original this distance is emphasized by the collosal shadow, the space in the centre and the tiny size from the nations people.
John.

Sony A700 - KMD7D + Grip - HS5600 D and some Minolta Lenses
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Doc, cool and historic photo!
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

bakubo wrote: is that a eucalyptus tree?
Yep, We have a few in Australia :) mainly used for floor boards, in my house I have Sydney Blue Gum floor boards, Also used a for fence Posts.
there are a few munfactures that use it for tables, chairs. There should be more. It's great timber, heavy has lead, strong has steel and a hugh range of colours
Hawk
Oligarch

Unread post by Hawk »

Doc, your pic is great. Reminds me of removing Lenin statue in Krakow and how people tried to blow it up with explosives few times.

Anyway, below is my attempt for this challenge. PP: +10 on saturation, small USM, crop. Camera settings: original exif included, feel free to check :)

Last edited by Hawk on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Doc, I love it!

I was in Moscow in the fall of '92, and have a picture of me sitting on Lenin's lap on the statue in the Kremlin. Since I was only there for a few days, I didn't have a chance to get to the Lenin/Stalin statue graveyard in the park. I sure would have liked to go home w/ a piece of Lenin's nose!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Just a tree in the back yard.
Longshadow2w.jpg
1/80, F8, kit lens at 18mm, ISO 400

pulled down the highlights slightly and cropped it in Photoscape.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

But I can still see your shoulders! You need a bigger tree :-)

David
Dr. Harout

David Kilpatrick wrote:But I can still see your shoulders! You need a bigger tree :-)

David
Are you sure about the shoulders? :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist :oops:

Flickr