Challenge 2: Long Shadows - Open to Submissions

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Challenge 2: Long Shadows - Open to Submissions

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Something simpler, just ideal for days when the sun never appears :-( But anything from a candle upwards can cast a shadow.

David
paulmurphy
Grand Caliph

Re: Challenge 2: Long Shadows

Unread post by paulmurphy »

I'll go first on this one, self portrait this morning.

Murph

ps now added the camera data (forgot about that)

A700, KM 17-35mm @ 17mm, Aperture priority, ISO 200, F20, Shutter speed 1/10. Converted from cRAW in CS3, spent some time removing dog footprints from sand as my dogs chose to run across image at last minute
Last edited by paulmurphy on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

You certainly have flare - or is that just the perspective on your trousers? :D

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Tora-san's hometown of Shibamata, Japan:

Do you know who Tora-san is? :) He is the main character in the Otoko wa tsurai yo (男はつらいよ, "It's Tough Being a Man") series of Japanese movies:

http://metropolis.co.jp/biginjapanarchi ... paninc.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otoko_wa_Tsurai_yo

If you want a bit of the flavor of Tora-san you can see this clip from one of his movies (with English subtitles):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5khaU1iBYFg

Data: Canon DRebel/300D + Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, 28mm, 1/200, f13, ISO 100
Last edited by bakubo on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Honorable Bakubo-san, me likey very much.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Very nice contributions everyone! :D

A photographer's dilemma of a nightmare or a blessing is the self-shadows that extend well beyond the photoframe and bakubo's black&white misty, out-of-a-movie photo has a story hidden within.

This thread could become very productive with photos and discussions. :D

Yildiz
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Thanks, Dusty!

Yildiz, I had a few other long shadow photos to choose from, but I liked the Tora-san connection of the Shibamata photo so selected it. By the way, the three people near the center seen in silhouette from the back are my friends Kino-san (husband), Kino-san (wife), and Karasawa-san. :)

I hope other people will participate and post some photos too!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you bakubo, :)

It's interesting to see what people have in their archives drawers and you had some interesting encounters with people of diferent origins.

And I'm so glad I took the time out of my life and commented on some worthy works of worthy people and not let them pass by. Now is the time to appreciate, tomorrow may just be too late to let them know how worthy they really were! Life is too fragile to wait.

Yildiz
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The sun came out today, before the gale force winds and rain returned, and I took my usual route across the kirkyard to take the post and get a newspaper. I always carry a camera, and remembered the long shadows challenge, so on the way back I hunted around for some kind of subject using the shadows of the tombstones. Most shots were not possible, fantastic shadows but no way of hiding the sun or shielding the lens to get them. This was about the best in the end, though not the most interesting part of the the graveyard:

Alpha 900, 28-105mm RS at 35mm, ISO 200, -0.7 exp, 1/200th at f/6.3, A - standard raw processing, no adjustments, ACR 5.2.

While looking for shots, I found another much better image, which I'll post in the Best Shots forum. No shadows, just a better subject by a long way!

David
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

Sonolta wrote:IMHO these threads *should* be for challenge photos and exif/pp information only! Exceptions could be made for the discussion of certain techniques and procedures used. Some users think these challenge threads are their own personal praise forums! This current format effectively means that participating on these threads is really no different than participating on any other non-challenge PA threads and that's a real bummer.

-Sonolta
Perhaps you should learn how to read the forum rules, particularly the part that says: "Discussion welcome".
MFS
Heirophant

Unread post by MFS »

My tribute in this long shadow challenge. Some Ice skaters in the afternoon.

PP in LR, gave it the standard Lightroom preset Cold Tone. Tweaked some matters in the curves section like extra darks to enhance the shadows and silhouets from the girls against the bright sky on the right. Furtheron normal PP like some clarity. In CS3 noise reduction (Imagenomic) because the sky pointed showed some noise after treatment. Croped it into a postcard-ish size, and framed it. Exif can be found below the pic. Used lens: Minolta 17-35/3.5

Date/Time 10-Jan-2009 14:26:40
Model DSLR-A700
Flash Used No
Focal Length 35 mm
Exposure Time 1/250 sec
Aperture f/11
ISO Equivalent 100
Exposure Bias -1
John.

Sony A700 - KMD7D + Grip - HS5600 D and some Minolta Lenses
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

John, your photo reminds me of this article I read a few days ago:

Canal ice helps Dutch rediscover national identity

http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/01/16/ ... katers.php

Have you had a chance to rediscover your Dutch national identity yet? :)
MFS
Heirophant

Unread post by MFS »

Hahaha, thats a funny article. All the stereotype aspects of the Dutch are mentioned. not all of course but some, like tulips and cheese (that is what tourists like to hear or read about hahaha). But it's true Henry, it took 12 years since we had a serious frost periode. It was awesome and a lot went skating allright. Roades got jammed from extensivly heavy traffic. It was great, and yes we love to skate. Hans Brinker never existed btw. It''s a story. Just like it is a story he put his finger in the levie (levy?) or is it dike afterall (I know dike means something else too) . Made some great shots just before going to work. Two days, no three day's in a row. :D
John.

Sony A700 - KMD7D + Grip - HS5600 D and some Minolta Lenses
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

XPan, exposure unrecorded.
Ah! Paris...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

Here is my post, I have 2 shots I like, but can't decide which one to use. So I checked with the Minister of Arts.
The one posted here is the one I liked best. :)
a350 sigma 18-50, 24mm 1/400 f9.0 iso100, processed with DXO only adjustment was to drop color temp to 6039K