Challenge 3: Through The Eye of A Needle - Submissions

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge 3: Through The Eye of A Needle

Unread post by bakubo »

Dr. Harout wrote:Excellent Henry. I like very much this style of photos. Probably wouldn't be that great in color.
Thanks, Doc. I have met so many wonderful people while traveling over the years. I wish I had been shooting digital in that village, it was 1998, because the children there would have had me taking photos for hours. :) They wanted me to take lots of photos, but with film I had to be cognizant of how much film I had left and how much traveling left to do. My recollection is that it started with the single girl in the photo below, then the other girls came when they saw me taking her photo and then before I knew it kids from all over the village came running up and wanting me to take their photo. :)

The original is color film, but I converted to B&W. Here is another taken at the same time that I left in color:

We spent 3 days and 2 nights in a little boat on the Mekong River going to Luang Prabang and stopped each night at villages to spend the night. At this place I was having fun playing with several children and taking some photos. :) Here are a couple more of some of the other children:

Last edited by bakubo on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Wonderful set. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Another well done to Bakubo!!!
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Good job, Henry. It's telling about our culture that these kids in little villages can be happy with practically nothing, and most kids in our world aren't happy because they don't have everything!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dusty wrote:Good job, Henry. It's telling about our culture that these kids in little villages can be happy with practically nothing, and most kids in our world aren't happy because they don't have everything!

Dusty
Very nice set bakubo! :D

I agree with Dusty that children with little means provided for them become more socially creative and learn to have the most fun with a witty state of mind and turn out stronger at a very early age.

The three little sisters and the three boys are truely cute. :) And they make the expression 'through the eye of a needle' happen with the life they lead.

Yildiz
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yes, the children and people in general usually seem quite happy. With movies, television, internet, and other communications media more and more people in the less developed world these days are acutely aware of the differences in their lifestyle compared to the lifestyle of most people in the more developed world. You know the old saying Ignorance is Bliss? Even many people there are no longer satisfied to live their lives without a bunch of possessions and always trying to get more. When I was a kid we had so much less than kids these days and were quite happy to go outside and play. Of course, even then my parents would say that we had so much more than they did growing up in the Great Depression. :) Sort of reminds me of the Neil Young song Days That Used To Be. :)

Here the Tortoise Pagoda in the middle of Hoan Kiem Lake, Hanoi, Vietnam is framed by the branches of a tree:

I guess this photo could fit into the tree thread too. :)
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Tarifa, Spain. Winter 2003
Dimage 7Hi ISO 100; 1/250 @ f8
It was, of curse, windy...
;-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

pakodominguez wrote:Tarifa, Spain. Winter 2003, Dimage 7Hi ISO 100; 1/250 @ f8
It was, of curse, windy...;-)

Very nice pakodomingez, :)

One good example to the concept of the challenge.
By giving us a strong hint of the vastness beyond as ocean and the horizon through the only and smallest opening in the whole of the photo, your photo interprets the soul of the expression 'through the eye of a needle' very successfully.

Congratulations! :D
I hope we see more different samples... from anyone and everyone.

Yildiz
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Thank you Yildiz for your kind words
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Wonderful, Pako! I like this interpretation.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --