Challenge 4: Stir Crazy! - Concluded

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
prjohn
Acolyte

Re: Challenge 4: Stir Crazy!

Unread post by prjohn »

Thanks David. The Pentacon 50mm lens has a manual/auto switch allowing full control of aperture. Although different models of same lens may not have this function. Here is a link to another image taken with same lens:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_DCpaduzGwWI/SZbcY ... 6Glass.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm finding this lens very sharp and the colours it produces are very good all for a couple of pounds on ebay. Considering the cost of other fast 50mm lenses this is money well spent.

On ebay today the above lens is going for £37.99 with 2 hours to go.
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

DSC02763.jpg
...and God said: "As the rainbow in the sky shows I will never again visit a flood upon the entire world, so too shall the rainbow on thy living room carpet show that I shall not visit an unending winter upon the world!"

(My apologies if anybody finds me irreverent).
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Wonderful still-life, prjohn! I liked the complex and unchecked reflections in the glass. It gives a lot of class and depth to the subject.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

In hommage to Barry's B&W, here is my Stir Crazy entry. My 11 month old daugther is now highly mobile and has to be put in "stir" for everyone's safety :D .

Tam 17-50/2.8 @30mm, ISO800, F3.2, 1/250.
B&W, Exposure +1/3 and Contrast +1 in camera. Camera jpg cropped and rotated slightly, then resized and USM for web, all in Elements.

Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Birma, that's a very very very lovely shot. She's so cute. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Birma,

Lovely baby, especially with that sweet, smooth curve to her cheek. She probably has an unresistable smile but this is a nice shot of her.
But don't you think that it's a bit early to make her start reading 'What and how to feed a horse to make him/her strong' manual? :D
(just kidding)

Yildiz
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Beautiful baby, Birma. It's hard to beat kids under 5 for subjects. When they're your own it's just impossible!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
wave_wizard
Initiate

Unread post by wave_wizard »

We have been stir crazy for other reasons...the heat! Set a few new records this summer with Temps above 45 C. Anyway saw this beam of light focus on our display cabinet, I thought it had an old museum feel to it. Camera settings were..1/8 sec @ f9, focal length-105mm, iso-1000, hand held- A700 /kit lens- regards Steve
Attachments
Fossil-Cabinet.jpg
What you see depends on what you're looking for.
Dusty

It's no Madonna.....

Unread post by Dusty »

Well, it's the end of the month, and I still haven't got around to posting my own entry, so here it is. While trying to find interesting fabrics of knick-knacks to shoot, I grabbed a chocolate chip cookie and saw an interesting face. It's no Madonna, but it's a pretty good likeness of Uncle Fred!
fred2s.JPG
This will also serve as last call to post, I'll decide the winner in a few days.

Dusty
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Well, I thought it looked fairly like Madonna. Possibly a little more attractive?

David
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Well, I thought it looked fairly like Madonna. Possibly a little more attractive?

David
Wrong Madonna! I forget (or try to) that there's an singer/exhibitionist by that name. I was, of course, referring to how everyone always seems to come up with a likeness of the Virgin Mary in their taco, a flower, whatever. I'd really like to know what some of the people who find them were smoking! :P

But you're right, as usual, Uncle Fred does look better than her!

Dusty
wave_wizard
Initiate

Unread post by wave_wizard »

You could always sell it on ebay. :wink:
What you see depends on what you're looking for.
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

wave_wizard wrote:You could always sell it on ebay. :wink:
Doh! Too late, I was hungry!

Dusty
Dusty

And the winner is.....

Unread post by Dusty »

Okay, after careful judging of the submissions, I declare Yildiz (Aster) the winner of the challenge.

I choose her photo because it brought together so many elements, the symmetry of the circles, the various colors and textures represented, all just make it work.

Yildiz, you can now mix up a another batch and eat them calorie free. I've already said the magic mumble-jumble that removes all calories for you!

There were quite a few good food shots, and if I had to choose a second place it would be Rogprov's pepper.

A tip of the hat to DK for best interpretation of the title. The cat epitomizes Stir Crazy.

Dusty
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Congratulations everyone and a 'thank you' to the respectable judge for his humbling choice and immaculate thoughts on my next calorie-free meal!

:D I appreciate that.

Yildiz