Challenge 4: Stir Crazy! - Concluded

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Challenge 4: Stir Crazy!

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

OK, here is my winter experience - sitting on the edge of the bed this morning, looking out of the window with cat Elmo. The bedroom is as old as it looks, and can be rather cold (we have no loft insulation as the ceiling is 'coombed' - a 24 x 16ft structure like a medieval coffered ceiling, made 200 years ago of lathe and plaster, weighing several tons and sagging in the middle, and quite impossible for anyone to crawl over safely). Most people would think we are very odd to live in a house with no attempt to redecorate or recarpet rooms maybe 50-60 years since they were last touched.

The big trees are in our garden, and the two closest to the house really need to come down, they shade the entire area. But they look great in winter.

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yildiz, sounds good!

David, I can understand the allure of living in an old house and leaving it much as it was decades ago. Certainly must make you sometimes wonder about past occupants' conversations, activities, and lives in the rooms. Any ghosts? :)

Looking at the view out your window reminds me very much of a view out the window of a 300 year old o-tera (Buddhist temple) turned into a minshuku (Japanese style bed and breakfast) in a little town called Togakushi in the Japanese Alps. I went there 2 years in a row in January 1991 and 1992 for ski trips with Japanese friends. I took a photo out the window early one morning after the sun came up and I discovered that it had snowed a lot during the night. There was a magical scene out my window!

edit: I removed the image and instead created a new thread. I am sorry to have placed the image in this thread. I was just reminded of that scene when I saw David's photo.

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=1932

I realize that this is a challenge thread so only one photo post per person so you can delete this image if you want. Personally, I prefer the types of threads where we can let them flow whichever way nature takes them. :)
Last edited by bakubo on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

David Kilpatrick wrote:... The bedroom is as old as it looks, and can be rather cold (we have no loft insulation as the ceiling is 'coombed' - a 24 x 16ft structure like a medieval coffered ceiling, made 200 years ago of lathe and plaster, weighing several tons and sagging in the middle, and quite impossible for anyone to crawl over safely).

That begs the question: Is it safe for you to be there?

The big trees are in our garden, and the two closest to the house really need to come down, they shade the entire area. But they look great in winter.

David
Have Chainsaw, will travel..... Maybe it would be cheaper to hire a local. I actually financed 1/2 my Holy Land trip by taking down a rather large tree for some friends. It's a former profession, and hard to forget, or, once friends know it, get away from!

Dusty

PS Great photo, Elmo definitely looks like he's going stir crazy!
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

David Kilpatrick wrote: The big trees are in our garden, and the two closest to the house really need to come down, they shade the entire area. But they look great in winter.

David
I like the photo and the view out the window but I vote for the trees to live a happy and long life....

Please David ?

Yildiz
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Leylandii are meant to have a life of about 20 years, not 40. They keep growing until they become dangerous in Scotland. One about 60 years old in the centre of our garden, before we sold some of the land, starting shedding large branches and smashed my greenhouse. They are not forest trees, they are a hedging tree from an alien climate and can easily grow one metre per year in the wet, warm climate of lowland Scotland. People are now advised against planting them. They can not be pruned or trimmed either. It will cost me about £300 to have them removed, but this time I will keep the wood for fuel.

David
rogprov
Oligarch

Unread post by rogprov »

.... just before my wife chopped it into a salad :)

Roger
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Yum! Very nicely done...why is this quickly becoming a food thread?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

KevinBarrett wrote:Yum! Very nicely done...why is this quickly becoming a food thread?

Because it's more rewarding to go and open the refrigerator's door than go hunting for dust balls under beds and start sneezing perhaps ? :D :D

You know, the rule of the thumb is that you get a bite of every delicacy you photographed after the session! ... and who could object?

Yildiz
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Grounds at City Hall today.
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

david antony wrote:Grounds at City Hall today.
Sorry, David, but it's outside the bounds of the Challenge. It's supposed to get us to shoot something inside the house, since some of us are going stir crazy waiting for the weather to break. (We actually just had 4 great, above average temp days!) Making us all shoot inside levels the playing field a bit since some of the lads and lassies here live in the tropics!

DK's shot works because it's something inside - the cat - that's looking outside. It also gives a very good interpretation of the Challenge title, even though that wasn't a part of the Challenge.

Otherwise, I like the shot!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Sorry Dusty I will remove it.

david a
caporip
Grand Caliph

Unread post by caporip »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Leylandii are meant to have a life of about 20 years, not 40. They keep growing until they become dangerous in Scotland. One about 60 years old in the centre of our garden, before we sold some of the land, starting shedding large branches and smashed my greenhouse. They are not forest trees, they are a hedging tree from an alien climate and can easily grow one metre per year in the wet, warm climate of lowland Scotland. People are now advised against planting them. They can not be pruned or trimmed either. It will cost me about £300 to have them removed, but this time I will keep the wood for fuel.

David
i have to say i hate the damn things. as a wildlife enthusiast they have no redeeming features as far as I am concerned.

Btw David that ceiling sounds a bit worrying.............
Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you....
My Flickr site:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rb56/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Very nice, Roger. Beautiful color and nice lighting.
prjohn
Acolyte

Unread post by prjohn »

Sony A300 Pentacon elecrica 50mm f1.8, iso100 1/8th @ f8, natural light through window.
Last edited by prjohn on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world is your playground, why don't you play?

Sony A500, Sony 16-105mm, Minolta 70-210mm f4, Tair 300mm f4.5, Pentacon 50mm f1.8. Carl Zeiss jena 135mm f3.5.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Welcome on board! Very attractive still life, great colour especially. How does the Pentacon electric lens stop down, just by an adaptor pressing the pin in, or is there a stop-down switch on this model? They seem to go fairly cheaply.

David