Challenge 5: Seasonal Change - Submissions

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Challenge 5: Seasonal Change - Submissions

Unread post by Dusty »

Today marks the first day of Spring up north, but many of you are south or in the Tropics, so it's a different season for you. So, as suggested by forum member WestCoast, I hereby issue the Seasonal Change Challenge. My apologies for those of you closer to the International Date Line that get this a day late!

Anything that shows seasonal change in your area is acceptable, blooming flowers, falling leaves, a change from wet to dry season, whatever it takes to show the change.

Standard rules apply, and, since seasons change at different rates the further you get from the Equator, we'll let this one run till the middle of May. (May 15).

If David doesn't object, I'll take nominees for the top photos when it's over an post them in an opinion poll so that you all get to determine the winner.

Happy shooting,
Dusty
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Challenge 5: Seasonal Change

Unread post by 01af »

Okay, here's my entry ... umm, maybe not what you were having in mind :mrgreen:

My bottle of Bruichladdich 12 yo 2nd Edition is about to run out, and the replacement has just arrived today. If that's no seasonal change then what is!? And it's the beginning of Spring, too. Yeah.
(BTW, I'm having that dram right now as I am writing this.)

-- Olaf

Converted from ARW Raw with Adobe Camera Raw 5.3;
Clarity -10; Vibrance +20;
slightly increased saturation of oranges and yellows;
slightly increased luminance of aquamarins.
No local adjustments.
Downsized and sharpened for web in Photoshop CS4.
Mike
Oligarch

Unread post by Mike »

Spring is in the air, but it was still damn cold out there this morning. I love the lighting first thing in the morning this time of year; need to have a few cups of coffee before heading out there though. A couple of years ago I waited till bulbs were 75% off and planted 500 in the back yard. Looks cool when they all come up; but I like the promise of spring these sprouts make. This is also one of my first experiments with DxO. attachment=0]spring.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
spring.jpg
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Everybody will figure out which seasonal change...

A700+ SAL16105
EXIF embedded
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Very nice Doc. Those drops often find their way to the back of my neck ;^)
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi,

A portion of the seasonal change from the garden right after this morning's rain... :D Dusty, are we limited to 'one-photo-only' rule or can we upload multiple shots?

Thanks
Yildiz

Last edited by aster on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

Can I submit another photo? My first one---the two Bruichladdich single malt bottles---weren't meant as a serious entry but kinda joke. Actually it would fit the 6th challenge pretty well which however wasn't up yet when I submitted the image.

So here's another image, taken yesterday, which actually reflects a seasonal change here in my part of the world. It's a toad fence. It keeps the toads from crawling the tarmac where they would get crushed by the hundreds. Every year in March, when the toads are about to rise from their burrows where they hibernate, those toad fences get set up everywhere along the roads. So when you see those little green fences, you know winter is over ...

-- Olaf

Stack of six shots, to increase depth-of-field, plus a seventh frame
for the car, all assembled manually in Photoshop CS4.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Olaf,

That's a very interesting approach to Seasonal Change subject. :)
I also think that it is a good stock photo, since it's so common to use those barriers for toads in your area.

Yildiz
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

have a george V nickel there in your collection. 1925 ones should be worth about 100 bucks nowadays .. don't send them to england though.. they are really made of nickel and therfore banned in case you try to make earings out of them
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Olaf, :)

Wouldn't you like to participate in the 6th challenge on beverages with your nice photo above? ( or an other one you feel is fitting )

You're kindly invited to do so!

Yildiz
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Olaf and Yildiz, I'm going to stick to the one photo rule, as it's listed in David's original directions for this forum. I will, however, discount Olaf's first posting, so his second will be the one he's judged on. By sticking to the one photo rule, you get people to shoot more generally) so that they have better pics o choose from. You also get them to make that hard decision: Do I submit the less technically perfect shot of the stunning subject, or the technically perfect shot of the okay subject?

Dusty
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dusty wrote:Olaf and Yildiz, I'm going to stick to the one photo rule, as it's listed in David's original directions for this forum.
Thanks for clearing this Dusty.

Yildiz
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

I took a bunch of pictures at this waterfall (left corner of the frame). I though this might be interesting becasue the ice is interesting but it also shows how the ice if eroding away the casm every year by a little bit.

Last edited by Javelin on Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Thanks Javelin! These waterfall shots of yours really make me want to get out there.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --