Challenge 6: “My Favourite Beverages and Flavours”-Concluded

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Challenge 6: “My Favourite Beverages and Flavours”

Unread post by sury »

A belated posting, it is OK I hope. This was taken with HVL-58 inside a fruit bowl and the spirit of (from) Gods atop
the glass fruit bowl. After spending entire Christmas with A900, I opened A700 a week before and getting used to
it. (I got both 900 and 700 as a Christmas present, probably for a foreseeable future too. :) ).
As for flavor, it has not been opened yet.

With best regards,
Sury

Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Last Call to Willing Participants! :D

Ladies and gentlemen,

This particular challenge shall be concluded by April 20th 2009, Monday. 20th is the last day to make any last-moment submissions, so, if you wish to share your beloved drinks we'd love to see them in form and function.

Thanks everyone who submitted very interesting, colourful, striking photos that bear their own tales inside them!

:D Winners and commentary will be announced around April 22nd-23rd.

Happy drinking and eating!

Yildiz
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

Ooooh ... only one day left! For weeks now, I'm having an image in my mind but I seem unable to make it materialize. Here's the best I was able to come up with today; it's not quite what I wanted---maybe I need more studio equipment ... :mrgreen:

The stuff in the glass is The Glenlivet Non-Chill-Filtered Single Malt "Nadurra" 16yo Natural Cask Strength 57.7 % ABV. It's the strongest whisky I have, and I wanted to visualize the oily viscosity of the high-alcohol spirit ... which however didn't work out as well as I hoped for. Still I think I got a fairly nice shot anyway---some of the reflections almost look like flames. (By the way, it's surprising how this single malt, despite its strength, can take only a very small amount of water, or the flavour will fall apart. This is not going to become one of my favourites.)

Cropped to approx. APS-C format so the 35-mm-equivalent
focal length is 150 mm-e, in order to concentrate on the
flame-shaped reflections.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I'm with West coast. nothing like an ice cold glass of milk!

(hold the straw though)

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

:D Thank you everyone!

One more club challenge is closed to entries and I just wished to in form you that the judges are in the house so you can hear the rsults tomorrow at the latest.

See you all!

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dear Participants of Challenge 6; :D

You should stand proud and satisfied for taking your target beverage and flavour and making an honorable product of it through the tunnel of light in your lenses that ultimately not only hit the cameras’sensors but our biological ones also.

We had 9 participants with 10 entries:

David Antony (2 entries), Aster (Yildiz)), David Kilpatrick, Prjohn, Bakubo, Sury, WestCoast, Olaf and Javelin respectively.

Photographer determines the story the subject will tell to the spectators.

Approaches to subjects varied. Some brought the brand and label to attention while others chose to draw attention to qualities of the content by avoiding labels yet engaging the subtle symbols.

You guessed right. Every single participant is a winner in this particular challenge! Because each photo could also be categorized for yet another challenge; alcoholic drinks in bottle or otherwise; beverage presentation as a product; advertisement; leisure time drinks; coffee; ..etc.

Here are the comments on each entry in order of submissions:

*David Antony & Glenfiddich (first photo)

While David Antony generously submitted two photos for the same product, the first one which shows subject in his own home environment makes for a better approach. The wooden surroundings in the second photo is too much and drowns the beautiful craft and texture of the original wood casing of Glenfiddich.
Why this approach is good?
We see that the person who drinks this spirit takes pride in his home and his choice of beverage. He verifies that by displaying the brand name proudly and boldly. The reflective surface of the table accentuates the vertical elements and the content in the crystal glass. The background may seem a little too crowded but this photo could easily be used by an advertisement that aims ‘a man who loves to lead a distictive home life’.
Therefore, David Antony, please make sure you let your work be seen by an agent in advertisement...

*Aster & coffee + chocolate

We know and can see how much you love black foamy coffee and bitter chocolate together, so, please make it to your kitchen and get some exactly like the one you see in the photo.
Yes, yes, you should go and find yourself a good product advertisement agecy too!

*David Kilpatrick & his New Minolta MU-G

A tabletop full of a man’s daily tools of interest and drink of choice with much of his personality there. One glance to the photo and we know that this particular man is either a hobbist or a professional who prefers a mild herbal tea while he’s working. It has a strong hint that ‘some profesional photographers prefer this or that tea’ during busy hours.. . and that chipping on the mug’s brim says that he takes his valuables seriously and is a keeper. Yet an other advertisement achievement that targets genuine professionals.
David Kilpatrick, please make sure you visit a good advertisement agency!  (the cheecky me!)

*Prjohn & coffee scene

Ground coffee, coffee seeds and a mug of fressh coffee encircled with green garden plants...This scene is hardly practical in real life conditions, as noone would bring a serving of coffee with the seeds in company but in fact it never was intended for real life either. It’s about the ‘idea’ of drinking a cup of fresh coffee...’refreshment’ being the key word to apply and the lush green leaves enhance the idea.
The photo scene was intended as advertisement design and serves the idea.
Prjohn, don’t forget to visit your local agency!

*Bakubo & his crawfish

Tricky! They may be lying there in your plate for your consumption but they are tricky to eat.  Looking rosey, crisp and fresh. The restaurant owner could use this photo for their menu but with a little improved lighting.
Bakubo was on the road and travelling when this photo was taken so he’ll have to visit his agency when he arrives back at his town.

*Sury & MURRAY &McDAVID

One of the approaches that aim at showing pride in the brand they drink. The backlit bottle is well-described by using the refracted light through the walls of the bottle which also light each letter on the labels unmistakably clear. While the bluish glow at the bottom of the bottle suggest the drink is served cold, the golden glow from top to the middle section suggests otherwise; that you’ll feel its warmth inside when you attempt to drink it.
This is one of those photos that can make a page of advertisement in a magazine....
You know what to do Sury. Call that agent!

*WestCoast & Milk Bar

A very serene, devised approach to each element in the photo. Graphically very stout while blending with each angle that ‘s included in the scene. Colour selection only serves to its more serene and well-thought graphics by bringing them forth while keeping the undesirable clatter out of sight.
The selected glass with the logo against the translucent white of milk and the bend to the straw against the dark background...all very classy. The scene is so cool and complete that one gets the feel that that glass of milk will make you just as stout after drinking.
You know what to do by now...yes, that agent!

*Olaf & Nadurra

No labels, no environmental contributions except a natural light source to give you any clue which brand you may be encountering in this approach. The subtle symbols will lead the viewer to the idea that they are actually looking at a Nadurra bottle. This subtle-clue approach relies on human’s subconscious to identify what they are seeing which actually is one of the smartest approaches, because the human mind is intrigued and will either ask an other person or will run a research on what he/she had seen and once learned, this piece of information will be engraved into the grey cells of the brain, to always relate this curvelinear bottle shape to Nadurra.

The seemingly-artistic, blazing refractions and reflections of the spirit is almost a symbollic illustration of how it will blaze the throat once swallowed down.
If you haven’t already called your agent, please do so!

*Javelin & Glass of Milk

Actions speak much louder than words! An energy bowl! Almost see what all that calcium is going to do to your bones and have you boiling up with energy? Yes, this photo has life and is promising life to everyone.
The message is conveyed within seconds!
Drink up that milk and make sure your agent knows your talent!

Thanks everyone,

Yildiz
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Yildiz,
I think you are the winner of all for those interpretations. I am simply blown away at your interpretation comments and when I look back at each of the photos, all I can think is how come I never saw it that way. It was a learning experience.
Thank you for offering a dimension that I did not perceive due to my lacking that artistry.

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

WestCoast wrote:Thanks for the kind words Yildiz… but I was really hoping for a Ferrari. :D
Hmm, I'm not sure that I was being merely kind, WestCoast. :D That's a 'fine' photo which makes smart use of angles and the phenomenon of light. Many incorporating angles...no wonder you want an aerodynamic design landbird like a Ferrari that makes smart use of angles! :D

But Ferrari isn't doing any good for the past two seasons at Formula One, in fact Red Bull is winning over everyone...So, can I persuade you for an other automobile brand instead? :D :D

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

sury wrote:Yildiz,
I think you are the winner of all for those interpretations. I am simply blown away at your interpretation comments and when I look back at each of the photos, all I can think is how come I never saw it that way. It was a learning experience.
Thank you for offering a dimension that I did not perceive due to my lacking that artistry.

With best regards,
Sury
Hello Sury,

Why, thank you indeed! :D
Usually the photographer is too busy about presenting the product with best possible means, they act intuitively to the point of not realizing that they actually know what to do. Your photo approach, uses light indirectly by letting it pass through the liquid inside. This brings on that golden warm glow as though it was scortching hot while giving a 3d outline of the bottle. Can one say that this is not a good approach? No.

Congratulations! Looking forward to your entries in other challenges... :D

Yildiz
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

WestCoast wrote:Thanks for the kind words Yildiz… but I was really hoping for a Ferrari. :D
Well, the selection committee tried to send you one, but customs wouldn't let it through. Something about too high a declared value for a gift. Since we had to pay for the return shipping, we had to sell it at a loss to cover the expense. Sorry! :P

Dusty
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Docks? Eyes on the horizon, West Coast?
Sounds like photo material to me. Any taken? And care to share?

And, ok, let's wait for the European laps for Ferrari to show some warming to the races... :D

Yildiz