Challenge 7: “Right Around That Corner!” - Winner Chosen

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Challenge 7: “Right Around That Corner!”

Unread post by Javelin »

The only diference with the "traditional 'vertical' corner " and this is .. gravity
aster wrote:Breaking news!

Last moment developing news item:

The 'corner' of the corner challenge is being challenged by our more liberal wing challengers! We are challenged to reinvent our traditional 'vertical' corner and repose it on the horizontal axis. Now, the question is "shall we give in and be cornered or resist and be deprived of new approaches to corner theory?! Most challenging!!"

(Breaking news announcement over)

Yildiz
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Yildiz,
You seem to have "cornered" the market on the usage of the word "corner". :lol:
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I just took a different angle on it, is that all right?

*should have included a smiley to set off the puns*
Last edited by KevinBarrett on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

This is some 1974 soul. :)

I hope this corner squeaks by as being on topic.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

sury wrote:Yildiz,
You seem to have "cornered" the market on the usage of the word "corner". :lol:
I promise I won't patent it to my name, I'm not selfish. Please use the word like it was your very own. :D

(of course I'm joking, you know that don't you? :D )

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

KevinBarrett wrote:I just took a different angle on it, is that all right?
*Hi Kevin,

I was joking and I thought you saw that I was merely joking when I read your previous message where you explained about your entry photo. :)
Your photo 'does' indeed have a corner, which is a round reflective surface and one of the sign arrows show the direction of a property but we don't see the glimpse of the propety itself which the corner hides partially.

I appreciate this alternative approach because it is a good thinking exercise for us, the viewers too, but the entries Sury and WestCoast submitted are more in the lane of this particular challenge.

Still, please don't remove it. :D

*Hi 01af,

Your entry is a good, intriguing photo as well. It also has different approach and we do actually see the glimpse of the landmark that's situated behind the grass. I hope you also knew that I was merely joking in my message that comes right after your entry.

Thanks

*Hi Bakubo

I'm sure you have photos that are more in line with this challenge in those archives of yours. :D
This photo is of a corner, and I actually understand where you're going from here, but the challenge requires a complete scene with a corner + what lies behind it; a shrine, a chapel, a landmark, a significant land or water object/vehicle...and the like.

Please see the entries by WestCoast and Sury, which are more in line with the requirements of this challenge. Don't remove your photo though. But I've seen your derelict buildings series, so I 'think' you have something more appropriate in that endless archive of yours! :D

Thanks all,
Yildiz
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Here is my bend. Quite recent (last weekend), San Remo, Italy:
DSC00974.jpg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

KevinBarrett wrote:*should have included a smiley to set off the puns*
:D I'll try to remember that for future posts. Sometimes I forget that this is a forum that uses publishing to make each emotion or pun clear.

Sorry about this Kevin, didn't mean to sound so literal.

Thanks

A very nice contribution bossel! Interesting narrow streets you've been to... :D

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

There's some philosophy in there Javelin...and a metaphor for life. :)

Yildiz
Javelin wrote:The only diference with the "traditional 'vertical' corner " and this is .. gravity
aster wrote:Breaking news!

Last moment developing news item:

The 'corner' of the corner challenge is being challenged by our more liberal wing challengers! We are challenged to reinvent our traditional 'vertical' corner and repose it on the horizontal axis. Now, the question is "shall we give in and be cornered or resist and be deprived of new approaches to corner theory?! Most challenging!!"

(Breaking news announcement over)

Yildiz
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ossie »

My first attempt at a challenge. I hope it fits the bill. Taken in Burano, Venice. A100 16-80mm cz

Ossie
Attachments
Around the corner.jpg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Ossie wrote:My first attempt at a challenge. I hope it fits the bill. Taken in Burano, Venice. A100 16-80mm cz

Ossie
Welcome to the challenges Ossie! :D You're always welcome to submit as many photos as you like.

Yildiz
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Harbour Park Ladner B.C.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Shot taken in December 2006 in Rhonda, a small town in Southern Spain. A100 + SAL18-200.

With best regards,
Sury

Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

A700, 85/1.4 G (D)
Attachments
2009-04-30_0159.jpg
2009-05-02_0174.jpg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Pero Negros, Portugal. Around the corner (and through the gateway) lies a building that is now a school, but in 1810 was the HQ for the Duke of Wellington in the defence of the Lines of Torres Vedras during the Third Invasion of Portugal.

A100 with Tamron 17-50/2.8 at 24mm, F11.0, 1/200 sec, ISO100. Slight straighten and crop with some level manipulation in PE7.

Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.