Challenge 7: “Right Around That Corner!” - Winner Chosen

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
aster
Tower of Babel

Challenge 7: “Right Around That Corner!” - Winner Chosen

Unread post by aster »

Or “ waiting round the bend...”

Hello everyone, :D

Let's go for an other challenge!

Listening to a classic song of Frank Sinatra, one verse from the lyrics of ‘Moonriver’ lingers; .. “Waiting round the bend...my Huckleberry friend...”

For this challenge we’ll be shooting corners and bends in our town that lead to a beautiful scenery, an architectural landmark, a river, a cathedral, or any other location you choose.

Imagine a tourist coming up to you and asking you to describe how he can go to ‘that historic townhall building’ and you say ‘you see that old man that plays the violin at that corner? Just turn right and you’ll see it appear before you, you can’t miss it!’

We’re required to compose both the corner and the glimpse of the scene in one frame. For example: we need to see the florist woman standing in the corner of a building and that glimpse of the beautiful bell tower whose church building we’d fully see if we turned around the corner.

I’m sure there are some very typical corners where you live and visit, so how about showing them off!

This can basically be an architectural context but if there are situations which can apply with other ideas , you’re welcome to submit that as well.

Good luck selecting your corner and what awaits round it.

Challenge 7 will be terminated by May 20th, 2009, Wednesday.

Yildiz
Last edited by aster on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Challenge 7: “Right Around That Corner!”

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

An interesting and very specific challenge, Yildiz. Might we submit more liberal interpretations of the original prompt?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

KevinBarrett wrote:An interesting and very specific challenge, Yildiz. Might we submit more liberal interpretations of the original prompt?
Yep, interpret away! :D You can be inventive, creative and different as you like and we'd like to see it.

Yildiz
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

great shot. I get the amusing feeling that the ship is pursuing the people on the footpath
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I hear the Jaws theme music straight away when I see this one!

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

WestCoast, I recognize that! That is a cruise ship heading out to sea in the Burrard Inlet after passing Prospect Point and sailing under the Lions Gate Bridge. People are walking on the Stanley Park seawall in Vancouver. :)
Last edited by bakubo on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinBarrett

David Kilpatrick wrote:I hear the Jaws theme music straight away when I see this one!

David
Get out of the water!

Nice shot, Westcoast! It's very imposing, as DK, hinted. I'm sure the view is nice from that boat, though.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Nice one Westcoast. It definitely fits the theme.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

This one was taken in January from a friend's sailboat approaching Golden Gate Bridge from Sausalito. This is small projection around which is the iconic Golden Gate Bridge.
I hope this one fits the challenge concept.

With best regards,
Sury

Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Congratulations!

Now we have two perfectly-fitting entries already. :) Very good ones, WestCoast and Sury.

Love to see other situations, on water, on land and on air also, don't hesitate to go creative. :)

Yildiz
KevinBarrett

And here's my more liberal interpretation...

Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

Does this qualify as a 'corner' too?

Composite of two shots taken in rapid succession; one focused on the spike,
the other focused on the grass chine. Some vignetting added. Mid-tone contrast
and saturation boost using high-pass filter in soft-light blend mode.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Breaking news!

Last moment developing news item:

The 'corner' of the corner challenge is being challenged by our more liberal wing challengers! We are challenged to reinvent our traditional 'vertical' corner and repose it on the horizontal axis. Now, the question is "shall we give in and be cornered or resist and be deprived of new approaches to corner theory?! Most challenging!!"

(Breaking news announcement over)

:D
I think we can come close to being modest liberals ourdelves and welcome the entries. Dare I say it but it is good to see that the cotributors are challenging personalities...

Please continue uploading and remember that you can each submit more than one entry.

Yildiz
KevinBarrett

What do you mean, "challenging personalities?" And my picture has a real corner, too! It's right there, and it's being a-rounded by that reflection! :lol:
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

KevinBarrett wrote:What do you mean, "challenging personalities?" And my picture has a real corner, too! It's right there, and it's being a-rounded by that reflection! :lol:
Hmm...You are a participating in a challenge, where you challenge the concept of of the good, old corner? Then you're a personality that challenges the challenge, my dear sir!

En guard at dawn and choose your lenses for the honour of the 'corner as we know it, sir'!

:D

Looking forward to see all ideas with no restrictions..

Yildiz