Challenge 9: Delete or Keep (to keep it seems!)- Submissions

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Challenge 9: Delete or Keep (to keep it seems!)- Submissions

Unread post by bonneville »

Well, after two weeks the challenge went unchallenged so I thought it should be removed to now discover a small flurry of interest after all :oops:

So if I can remember what I said the first time around........ the idea is to post a picture that you would have consigned to the delete key for failures in exposure, composition, framing, focus or whatever, BUT there is something about it that made you keep it.

For starters I posted this; a photo I grabbed last year as the only flying Vulcan in the world passed directly over my cottage en route to an airshow, with the bomb doors open. I have caught some foliage in the shot and cut off the wing tips but hey, when do you get to see this in your own back garden :roll:

Thanks for the encouragement Tom, Birma and Yildiz. And for Javelin's first reply.
Last edited by bonneville on Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Challenge 9: Delete or Keep

Unread post by Javelin »

Man.. what do you have to do to the government to make them bomb your house!?
harveyzone
Oligarch

Re: Challenge 9: Delete or Keep (removed by author)

Unread post by harveyzone »

bonneville wrote:After two weeks - challenge unchallenged - removed by author
D'oh! I liked the idea of this one. I think you should re-instate it as a long term challenge.
Here is one I took as a 'test' shot, but liked and kept...

--
Tom
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I agree with Tom - I think this challenge is a good idea, but a slow burner :D . I loved that picture of the Vulcan with the bomb bay doors open.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Brian, :)

You shouldn't have removed your photo as I was still looking into my archives to meet the requirement of this challenge. Your photo sample is quite the unique catch and one hard to get. So I assumed we had to search for the hardest-to-come-by photo captures. I don't have any planes flying on top of me, they rather follow a route that has a different angle and direction before preparing for landing.

If any photo will do, then I'll try to upload a couple. :D

Please put your bomber plane right where it belongs.

Yildiz
Winston
Grand Caliph

Re: Challenge 9: Delete or Keep (to keep it seems!)

Unread post by Winston »

This is the sixth image made with my first digital camera. The first five were tossed.

Newt, September 20, 2003 (click for larger)
HP PhotoSmart 945: 1/250s f/3.1 at 52.2mm iso200
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
bonneville
Grand Caliph

aster wrote:Hi Brian, :)

Nice to see your photo back!
Thanks Yildiz.

LOL when I first looked at your picture I thought I was also looking at a large commercial roof sign in the foreground and was about to comment on the coincidence the building name had with your ID name.

:oops:
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Winston wrote:This is the sixth image made with my first digital camera. Newt,
Hi Winston

Both my cats look like that on the occasions I get in late from a social event. Only difference is the grass isn't too sharp either :mrgreen:

Brian
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

It was one those spur of the moment shots, out of focus but I liked the situation captured. These are
wild monkeys near St. Michael's cave, Gibraltar and as we were walking towards our car, saw this one
jump on the car. I would have deleted but decided to keep it.

With best regards,
Sury

Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bonneville wrote: Thanks Yildiz.

LOL when I first looked at your picture I thought I was also looking at a large commercial roof sign in the foreground and was about to comment on the coincidence the building name had with your ID name.

:oops:
Hi Brian,

:D Not as a commercial sign maybe but I would of liked to change the district's name to 'Aster' for a change, at least for a change of mood! Nobody can say that I didn't have my share of contributions to the overall value of the area. :D :D I shop for groceries here, I reside here and I'm showing great amount of patience and dignity when I have to pass under all those giant flags overhead when I'm walking about and I even congratulated some of the Besiktas Club members. You can say that I contributed with a good heart and a healthy attitude.

And I expect the same in return from them when my Galatasaray wins the cups and the giant flag with the lion on it is hanging down some high building and no less! We are the brave-hearted lions( or lionesses )...taaa..taaa!

Yildiz

ps. I only recently started to insert a copyright line to my photos due to some guy I never heard of, displaying tens of my photos of an other architectural landmark in an other forum about Istanbul, as though they were his own. Seeing my photos used without my consent was really disturbing as he doesn't even bother to mention where he got them from though there can only be one source.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

This is one where I am not sure if it's a good one or not. Well, photographically its probably a catastrophe but the dog was sooo cute!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2134/219 ... 1390_o.jpg
bonneville
Grand Caliph

bossel wrote:This is one where I am not sure if it's a good one or not.
I think it is a good one bossel.
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

Hi All
I have a try at this challenge

The first shot was when I was trying to catch a candid of my son, but it spotted me.

The next one is one my wife took, it's out of focus but I like it :) Don't know why , maybe becuase it's one of the few times both the little trouble makers are beening quite and peaceful :)

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

I like the first photo where he spotted you Stephen. :)

They indeed appear very innocent in the second one.

Yildiz