Challenge 10: Old MacDonald had a farm..- Winner Chosen

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Challenge 10: Old MacDonald had a farm..ee..aa..oo!

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Beautiful shot, Murph. I think the goat just came back from the hairdresser. :lol:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hello Paul, :D

Very nice. This goat really sets the mood of this 'farm' challenge ...aristocracy and all!

Thanks for the interesting contribution and I'll save any further comment for the end of the challenge. :D

Yildiz
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

Some horses on a farm near my place, the estate I live in used to be owned by a famous hourse trainer/racer family, so I'm tolded :)

Cheers, Stephen
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

thats a neat looking tree too! must be a nice property
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

The horses are nice, the goat is simply great!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Stephen, :D

As Thomas said they indeed are very nice horses. Well-groomed, healthy hide with sheen with spectacular tails and very strong legs. They must be a vision to see when they start to gallop across the grass land.

Thanks for sharing

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I'm glad there are still some days left for farm-inspired inspiration. I like Bossel's cows very much, but Murph's goat has me coming back again and again for another look. Great shot.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
caporip
Grand Caliph

Unread post by caporip »

Highland cattle grazing grazing at Hothfield Common A900 with 70-400ssm

Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you....
My Flickr site:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rb56/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Entrance to farm & friendly greeter

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Very nice one as the gate-keeper David Antony. :D

Our farm will be dominated by the goats' administration as it would appear! What fun! :D

And very nice highland cattle caporip. Glad you kept your distance just in case. :D

Keep them coming everyone. We're still short on chickens, bees, birds, sheep, turtles, friendly bugs, farm houses, dogs, cats, more ducks, pigs, and what-nots...and what nots... :)

Yildiz
berlin steve
Acolyte

Unread post by berlin steve »

...and on that farm he had some endangered Northern European reptiles
ee-eye ee-eye oh...

These pictures are taken from my tiny 200 square meter garden in Berlin, Germany. The "common lizard" is one of around 5 or 6 that we see daily that live on the south side of house. The males are more colourful, and the females just dull brown. They are relatively brave and only run off if we get too close or make sudden movements. This one's tailless brother can be found on the flickr link with some other pics from my garden wildlife.

I only ever saw 4 snakes in the wild. One was on heathland in Aldershot, England around 14 years ago who I almost ran over when out on my mountain bike. The second was around 30 cm long seen 3 months ago in my garden, and disappeared before I could grab my camera. This morning I saw and photographed a 40 cm grass snake who disappeared just as soon as I'd fired up the Alpha. I had to google it to be sure it wasn't dangerous before I allowed my son to play out in the garden again. This afternoon he started screaming when this fellow (approx 110cm) wouldn't let him up the steps back to the house. I grabbed the camera, and he stayed around for 3 or 4 more minutes before leaving the scene. I managed to pull a few nice shots with my beercan (see Flickr link) before he went on his way.

Both common lizard and grass snakes are protected species in northern Europe, so I guess I'm privileged to have these as uninvited garden"pets". Personally I don't mind the lizards who feed on garden pests, but the snakes are not really my cup of tea. Don't think the fish or frogs in the pond are too keen on the grass snakes either, seeing as they are basically the favoured menu...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/berlin_steve/

Both shots taken on Minolta 70-210 Beercan on Alpha 300
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Nice wild 'pets' to have in one's garden Berlin Steve. You and your son certainly don't have half-boring leisure time in that environment and welcome to the forum. :D

I especially liked the headshot of the grass snake at the Flickr site; the phosphoric grey-blue-green skin is beautiful.

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Last Call To Willing Participants! :D

Hi all,

Challenge 10 will close its farm gates for photo submissions on 20 June 2009, leaving us with 3 days in total to shoot some lovely 'buddies'.

So,if you wish to share your intriguing animals, we'd be happy to have them among us. :D

Have fun,

Yildiz
berlin steve
Acolyte

Unread post by berlin steve »

Taken on Sony 300 with Beercan in Wildgehege Berlin Spandau.

The wild boar were safely behind a fence for these shots, but I had a run in with a truely wild male while riding my bike in the Grunewald forest in Berlin just a few weeks ago. Scared me half to death, and they can be really dangerous if they turn on you. Last year a forester was killed in a wild boar attack outside of Berlin, and his colleague was seriously injured. If they charge you those tusks are like razorblades and they can outrun pretty much any person.

and a family of boar foraging

and in the same place a young stag giving me eyeball...

more on http://www.flickr.com/photos/berlin_steve/
harveyzone
Oligarch

Unread post by harveyzone »

And to make up the numbers, some more pigs and sheep...

--
Tom