Challenge 12: "Enjoy The Fresh Air!"- Winner Chosen

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Winners Announcement: Challenge 12/ Enjoy the Fresh Air!

Unread post by aster »

For the category “ Depth of Scene; Volumetric Perspective; Mountainous Heights; Islands; Fresh Air”

Our winner is David Antony with Mt. Robson, 12.972’, as seen from Yellowhead, HWY.

Volumes speak. And volumes speak volumes in this photo. A motorway running into disappearance between two tree-clad hillsides relates the sense of distance, that Mt. Robson is still a long way away. But Mt. Robson, by being positioned so in a giant ‘V’ of pines looks all the more strikingly contrasty with its ice-covered white peaks and horizontally layered bare, crude rock surfaces. One can trace the horizontal layers of rock formation thanks to accumulated snow; so evenly distributed and precise that you’d think they were drawn there with a giant ruler.

And that’s a nice white bold statue of a mountain goat...promising what we’ll find ahead...just as we drive past or as we attempt to a climb on the heels of the Mount Robson.

Thank you for your participation David Antony!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the same category, an other winner, volumes dance in front of our eyes, softly bending around a tranquil, tree-lined lake with its pit-stopping cyclists, is presented by Ossie.

Congratulations Ossie! :D

Anyone interested in sports that require no combustion engines will be drawn to the idea of spending volumes of quality-time here.

It’s Lake Wakipitu, South Island, New Zealand on the road to Glenorchy. Better start booking for that journey because there are volumes of freshness to photograph and to breath.

Thank you for your participation Ossie.

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

aster wrote:For the Category “Bodies in action”

For the same category, we have yet an other winner who is no less capable of running long distances and be a bundle of pink-clad pioneer to an ever-extending sandy horizon! Matilda, she who can see eye-to-eye and compete with her big-brother peers in the forum is the embodiment of freshness: moving in the freshness of consistent baby steps.

We celebrate her fresh start on life and congratulate her father Birma for bringing her transition through life to our forum.

Thank you for your participation Matilda and we hope your father will tell you one day in the future just how many contests in photography you won. Hugs...
I hope you don't mind me interupting the flow to say thank you Yildiz :D Matilda and I are very honoured to have been picked amongst the other august photoraphs. Matilda has this picture on her wall and is now extra proud that it has had such recognition. :D
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Oh, not at all! We're only more happy when members interact, interfere, intervene with any thread there is in the challenges here. It's an honour and a joyful exchange...:D Boundaries and limitations are out of the scene!

Thank YOU for being a productive photographer of enhanting scenes from your trips and for sharing your sweet model with us. Its so refreshing!

I hope it continues in the future. We've become colour-and-island-addicted with your photos. :D

Thank you Matilda and Birma,

Yildiz
Ewannawe
Oligarch

Unread post by Ewannawe »

Well I'm both shocked and thrilled. Thankyou very much.
Reality is merely illusion, albeit a persistent one. ~ Albert Einstein
To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge. ~ Benjamin Disraeli
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

Why isn't this announced in the original thread?
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Winston wrote:Why isn't this announced in the original thread?
Hi Winston,

I thought I did. Here's a quote from my last post in the original thread:
Hello,

The winners of Challenge 12 are specified and are being announced in an other topic in this forum.

Please visit the link below to follow the winners by category.

Thanks,
Yildiz

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =45&t=3188
But if you're asking the reason for not continuing from that thread and instead opening a new announcement thread, that partly is due to Cogito saying there better be two threads: one for the challenge and an other for the announcement / voting of the winners.

I may combine the threads later in the day today.

I hope I understood your question right.

Thanks,
Yildiz
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

The latter was my question. I don't see what splitting the thread accomplishes except doubling the forum thread count and making things harder to find.
Last edited by Winston on Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Winston wrote:The latter was my question. I don't see what splitting the thread accompliches except doubling tha forum thread count and making things harder to find.
Thanks for clarifying Winston,

As you nicely put, in my usual way of challenges splitting accomplishes almost nothing. :D
I'll bring them together.

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge 12: "Enjoy The Fresh Air!"

Unread post by aster »

Hi Winston,

I think I succeeded in merging the threads as you asked. :D

I hope it looks and feels and reads better now.

Yildiz