Challenge 13: “Feel The Rhythm, Hear the Sound”- Concluded

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Re: Challenge 13: “Feel The Rythm, Hear the Sound”

Unread post by Ossie »

And now for something different…………….but I hope within the theme of the challenge.

Rarotonga, Cook Islands. Sadly no beautiful blue skies or azure blue seas on this trip.

Yildiz, Great to have you back.
Attachments
Rhythm_02.jpg
A100. SAL 70-300 kit lens
(390.58 KiB) Downloaded 2111 times
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Ossie wrote:And now for something different…………….but I hope within the theme of the challenge.

Rarotonga, Cook Islands. Sadly no beautiful blue skies or azure blue seas on this trip.

You could've posted that shot in "The fresh air" challenge too. Nice shot.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hello Ossie, :D

It's wonderful to see you on board too. Welcome! :D

As Dr. Harout put it nicely, your image qualifies for more than one of the challenges that are running at the moment. But of course, we respect your submission choice. :)

I love watching these contests live and always admired the synchronic rythm of the rowers. Good to see rythm in an other theme and that's one lively water surface with a restless appearance. It must have been windy.

Thanks for sharing and coming aboard Ossie!

Yildiz

Ossie wrote:And now for something different…………….but I hope within the theme of the challenge.

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

aster wrote:Very nice Bakubo, :)

I suppose that drum is made of brass and rather loud. I can almost feel the resonance around the space...
Actually, the big drum is made of wood and, yes, it is loud. By the way, here is some info about Meiji-jingu:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiji_Shrine

I can't count the number of times I have been there since 1985. It is located near Harajuku in Tokyo and although in the middle of the city the shrine complex is in the middle of a beautiful forest.
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

Both shot with film with my Minolta XM.

Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Ah, so the drum is a wooden piece! That's interesting. I was misled by the temple drums and bells I saw earlier at temples. They use a lot of cast metallic instruments...

You certainly are a lover of the Far Eastern life and traditions. Lots of history with them. :D

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Yildiz

bakubo wrote:
aster wrote:Very nice Bakubo, :)

I suppose that drum is made of brass and rather loud. I can almost feel the resonance around the space...
Actually, the big drum is made of wood and, yes, it is loud. By the way, here is some info about Meiji-jingu:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiji_Shrine

I can't count the number of times I have been there since 1985. It is located near Harajuku in Tokyo and although in the middle of the city the shrine complex is in the middle of a beautiful forest.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Cogito;

Beautiful shots with film! It feels so good seeing film photos at such a digitally competitive era. :D

The second photo, in the shade of a cherry tree with the hypnotic moves of the 'dancing' drummers as they keep up to their rytmic beats in the distance, almost made me spring up with the mood as well. Lovely spring tradition! :)

Thanks,

Yildiz
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

aster wrote: ..... It feels so good seeing film photos at such a digitally competitive era. :D
Yildiz, Thanks! The bar scene was in England - about 1990. The other was in San Francisco about 1990. Both before we had any type od digital camera. So it's a case of trawling through those negatives that I've scanned and am a bit pleased with....
Sorry about the glare from the pub window - I could probably do better PP.
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

Here's another from the last week-end (the other I posted to Challenge #12). The nasal sound of those natural horns is truely intriguing.

No significant post-processing besides some minor adjustments of white-balance,
tone, and contrast. Slightly cropped. Resized and sharpened for web.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Now a real challenge for Olaf - a group of Bergsangers marching in costume with Thuringer waldzithern (Hamburger waldzithern accepted as a substitute - I play Hamburger waldzither, never seen a Thuringer instrument at a decent price!).

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Video works?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSh_Qot3M5k
it's Minolta related because I shoot this a couple of years ago with my Dimage A2, in the C train going back home in Brooklyn at 3AM...
Yeah, another reason for asking Sony for a v-dSRL
:-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

La Habana, about 10 years ago, with the XPan
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Olaf;

Nice composition and definitely interesting instruments... :)

Pako;

No videos for now I'm afraid, Pako! Maybe when there's a good number of hi-definition, video-capable-DSLR owners around we may get to that phase. I'm certain that it would be yet an other exciting experience for everyone as there'll also be good lenses around providing many artisitic ventures! :D

We'll have to abide by stills and that's a nice photo of local sounds... :)

Thanks

Yildiz
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

aster wrote: Feeling the rhythm and hearing the sound...Music and dance definitely come to mind first in literal sense and though they definitely make the grade, we’re not to be limited to them. We are welcome to visual rhythms in nature and abstract that almost have a musical quality that only through ‘seeing’ can we hear in our minds.
For me there is definitely an associated memory of rhythm and sound in this picture. It is a photo of my daughter competing in the annual Newport to Catalina Island race in California, which has a distance of 45-50 km over the ocean. I took this image 8 years and 1 day ago, using a Minolta X-570 film camera. I scanned the negative in 1991 on a Polaroid 4000 scanner and made an 8"x10" (20cmx25cm) framed print of it, in addition to using the image in the screen saver on my computer.
01090803.jpg
(258.53 KiB) Downloaded 2017 times
With best wishes,
- Tom -[/color]
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Wow, an archives' photo that's stood the test of time Tom! :D

The ladies are giving it everthing they've got in there, wonderful moments that every girl should have to remember with pride. It really is a sport of rythm and harmony to conclude in an efficient timing and effort.

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz