Challenge 16:“Rain Crafts, Terrain Drafts”- Winners Chosen

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Challenge 16: “Rain Crafts, Terrain Drafts”

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Yes, very beautiful, Thomas.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Elisha
Initiate

Unread post by Elisha »

aster wrote::D I can only agree with the above views, excellent photographers for this kind of challenge...

Elisha, I can be wrong due to my not knowing the area but the horizon where the sky meets the water seems to be tilted...or is this a river where there are suprising curves which can add different angular aspects to the frame?

But the place and the texture on that piece of enduring rock is beautiful! :)

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz

Thanks. It was shot on a moving boat and I tried my best to straighten the Old Man of the Island as he is called so that probably messed up the natural horizon instead.
Sony Alpha a700 + Sony VG-C70AM Vertical Grip
Minolta AF: 28-135mm F4-4.5 | 50mm F1.4
Sony 70-300mm G SSM
Sigma EF-530 DG Super

flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you Elisha,

Now I understand better. No wonder it's called The Oldman of the Island! :D

Yildiz
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Horseshoe Bend, Arizona

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Amazing frames Winston, Bakubo, Bossel... :)

It's amazing that water, on Earth or in the sky has the incredible artistic touch.

Yildiz
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

This is one i'd forgoten I had posted before and fits here.

The Mud is called terra cotta and they make bricks. the pattern was formed by glaciers then covered with topsoil and forest. when the farmers cleared the forst the rain and weather exposed this underneath.

pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Challenge 16: “Rain Crafts, Terrain Drafts” -Submissions

Unread post by pakodominguez »

A700 + Lensbaby G3 (Control Freak)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
prjohn
Acolyte

Unread post by prjohn »

In Balance

The world is your playground, why don't you play?

Sony A500, Sony 16-105mm, Minolta 70-210mm f4, Tair 300mm f4.5, Pentacon 50mm f1.8. Carl Zeiss jena 135mm f3.5.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Nice one, Pako!

Dusty
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge 16: “Rain Crafts, Terrain Drafts” Judging Phase

Unread post by aster »

Judging In Progress

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your contributions.

Your submissions are incredible, as you all probably already know! :D

Now, lets leave it to the judges to do their task that'll be one of the hardest yet...

And as for you, you have all the time in the world to go and shoot something wonderful, and enjoy photography. :)

Yildiz
Winston
Grand Caliph

Re: Challenge 16:“Rain Crafts, Terrain Drafts”- In Judging Phase

Unread post by Winston »

Haven't been around much lately and must have missed something. Who are the judges?
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Welcome to the results announcement of one of our most successful challenges, Challenge 16: “Rain Crafts; Terrain
Drafts”.

General overlook:

Photography is a wonderful, irreplacable art form in telling of the true story of a selected subject by the photographer. He/she can bend the truth by narrowing the perception or dwell on a magnitude factor to give a more whole story by bringing together a mosaic of details.

This challenge pretty much comprises entries doing exactly that. Each photo bears significant characteristics of a phenomenon that surrounds ‘sand’ as it slowly emerged through an era of glaciers, shaped by rain and dyed by bleeding of iron oxide and other dye-producing elements or a phenomenon that only can be achieved through the deflection of light.

If anything, this challenge has been very enlightening and educational on the geological history of intricate rock formations, particularly of those located in North America.

Thank you all very much! :D

The selection criteria :

* A sense of understanding and approach for the particularities of the subject.
* A good sense of composition.
* A will for innovative approach.
* Good post-processing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The winner of the challenge is Winston with his photo of “Big Spring Canyon”.

The judges also renamed this photo as “On-looking Postmen Of the Canyon” and “Diving Boards” for bearing resemblances to round human faces wearing vintage postman’s hats watching over the canyon and delivering the canyon’s timeless silent tale...

The photo is of a naturally-formed trail of metamorphosed sedimentary rocks that harmonize with the colour of the sky while outlining the ‘Postmen’. The overcast appearence of the sky provides the advantage of good light that produces good details on the vegetation and rock formations. It allows for the identification of the diferent types of rocks, be them the granite, sedimentary rocks or the iron-oxide-dyed sandstones.

It has no highly-contrasting or saturated processing but has a distinctive mildness that suits the nature of that particular environment’s aesthetic.

Thank you for your participation Winston. :D

Congratulations!

Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

My thanks to the "judges".
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Well done Winston. I really like the "feel" of your picture - as Yildiz says, there is a quality to the contrast etc. which has a crystal clear, looking through an open window feel about it.

I am intrigued by the Postman's hat :? I'm not sure I can remember UK postmen in hats. Did they used to have a sort of peaked affair, a bit like an old fashioned bus conductor, or train guard? Yildiz, you will have to post a picture of a Turkish Postman now 8)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Birma wrote:I am intrigued by the Postman's hat :? I'm not sure I can remember UK postmen in hats. Did they used to have a sort of peaked affair, a bit like an old fashioned bus conductor, or train guard? Yildiz, you will have to post a picture of a Turkish Postman now 8)
:D
Hi Birma,

What you worry about may and probably will be my very own problem in an attempt at shooting a vintage Turkish postman's hat! The modern costume provides a baseball-hat-like piece which is not much help in the winter. :) Have to visit a museum to see one of the vintage ones that resemble what the police are wearing on the street in the U.S.A. They used to be cute... I remember my days when I used to call to those postmen with those vintage hats from the garden(they were replaced only a few years ago to my dismay which makes them look awkard) "Uncle postman, anything in the mail bag for us?" and they would smile and call back "the day will come!"

Tweetting days, they were of mine. Nowadays, no such sweet relations can be established and most of my mail comes by e-mail bacause I'm registered with them as a 'tree protector'. I reduced my paper-print consumption as a receiver and sender considerably.

If I find a hat that looks like those vintage ones, I'll try to photograph it for sure. :D Don't count the seconds or hold your breath though, please.

Yildiz