Challenge 16:“Rain Crafts, Terrain Drafts”- Winners Chosen

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge 16:“Rain Crafts, Terrain Drafts”- In Judging Phase

Unread post by aster »

“Kalligraphia”

Kalli= Beauty Graphia= Writing (Greek)

If God created human beings with intelligence and digits to express beauty in the art of writing and drawing, then God worked in the mysterious grandeur of elaborate ways to implement His own writing in sand and stone dissipating His patience over millions of years of Earth’s time...

That’s how Bakubo’s Black&White photo tells the story of nature’s wonder in a likeness to beautiful penmanship drawn with thick tar on white parchments by sage artists of ancient times.

The photo is delivered from the heart of the wave-like surfaces from a good angle that soaks light from the openings and expose the tiny details in sandstone maze.

Thank you for participating Bakubo. :)

Congratulations!

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

“The Salutation of the Youngest – in an innovative style”

Youngest of the rock formations having formed some 87 millions ago, The Half Dome stands amongst the tallest peaks and salutes its surrounding predeccessors in The Yosemite Park.

The Half Dome can be very deceptive to a first-time viewer with its clean vertical wall that faces the valley and may give the impression that it lost the other part of its dome to a landslide or avalanche. But, on the contrary, it was born that way through a period of glacial activities.

Intact with this shape since its birth, Pako with his innovative approach creates the illusion of a ‘thrust’ from the bosom of the Earth by using a lensbaby, thus suggesting the dramatic look of a speedy activity: When looking we either feel like we’re in an airborne vessel speeding by or witnessing the birth of the rock over again.

It’s a creative decision, Pako and thanks for participating!

Congratulations! :D

The Half Dome-Yosemite Park
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

“Proof of Nature’s own high-performance optics in the act of catching light - Rainbow as a Fish-eye”
( which creates distinctive chromatic abberrations and spectral fringing too! :D )

The dramatic cluster of clouds giving the impression of arraying away from the double rainbows, the judges preferred to see this image as a piece of abstract art than a phenomenon of light and water drops which would require the admission of law of physics into this story.

In fact, not-out-disrespect but due to the very slim apearance of the barely-distinguishable cityscape at the bottom, the jugdes liked the idea of cropping the buildings out of sight better; hence the wonderful abstract art is isolated in full grandeur.

Thank you for taking us to an other masterpiece the rain genourously provides Bossel - Thomas , rain truely crafts ...and, ehm, while the raindrop becomes the drafter instead of terrain in this case.

Congratulations! And thank you for participating... :D

We apologise if you hate us for cropping the photo but we hope you will forgive us! :D

Judges’ prefferred cropped version.
5 bossel arcciel-1.jpg
(52.92 KiB) Downloaded 2033 times
Bossel's original 'Arcciel'
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

“Micro Replication”

A tiny replication of the realiity behind the gigantic rock formations that intrigue the human eye and soul finds its way into our lives with Prjohn’s photo concept. Light passing through the tiny sparkling quartz and other coloured rock particles create a visually vivid sea of colours while one invisible ‘drag force’ keeps a spectacular pebble atop a mount of sand thus creating coloured ripples around it.

The photo would be most spectacular at a bigger size or at 100% for the best viewing of its tiny, moist quartz elements that provide a playful light scene.

Thank you for participating and congratulations on your good photo entry! :)

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

“Blue Skies, Terra Cotta Layers- Wikipedia-worthy threesome”

Three very different terrain samples; one rising high above its surroundings as a stand-alone pillar; the other carved into the depths of rocky formations; and an other that forms the undulating terrain topsoil with the warmly-coloured woods around it.

All three wonders share similar qualities of good colour and compositions while having resulted from completely different glacial and water movements.

These three would make good photos for encyclopaedic information on rock formations that also are rich in iron-oxide.

Javelin; John; Bakubo;

Thank you for your enriching entries and congratulations! :D

Bakubo’s Horseshoe Bend, Arizona

Juanito’s Lighthouse, Palo Duro Canyon, Arizona

Javelin’s Terra Cotta
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

“Perseverance”

A stand-alone rock with many legends attached to it stands the test of time and the elements.
Being the extension of the continental rocks that form the coastline it would have been great to see more of the continental section to the left in a comprising panoramo which also is a little larger to enable better viewing of the many tiny details like the waves and the ripples and effects of the prevailing wind force on the clothing of the people.

Thank you for your participation WestCoast and congratulations! :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

And with this last comment this challenge hereby has been concluded for better or worse.

Looking forward to seeing you in other challenges! :D

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge 16:“Rain Crafts, Terrain Drafts”- Winners Chosen

Unread post by Birma »

Another great challenge with very interesting pictures. Thanks to Yildiz for her regular top-job evaluation, and thanks to all to the contributors for sharing their pictures :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

When the photos are top-job, it is but only a pleasing part of my life... :D

It was the judges' pleasure !

Thank you Birma, :)

Yildiz
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

aster wrote:...Judges’ prefferred cropped version...
Who are them judges, ackshully? It's probably in one of the posts but I am a bit busy these days :roll:

I like the uncropped version more :mrgreen: It's like the rainbow spans protectively over the town, like a shelter against any more rain. But ask three photographers, get 4 different answers :lol:

Thanks for having organized all this!

btw my vote would have gone to Henry or Javelin!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bossel wrote:
aster wrote:...Judges’ prefferred cropped version...
Who are them judges, ackshully? It's probably in one of the posts but I am a bit busy these days

I like the uncropped version more :mrgreen: It's like the rainbow spans protectively over the town, like a shelter against any more rain. But ask three photographers, get 4 different answers :lol:

Thanks for having organized all this!

btw my vote would have gone to Henry or Javelin!
Ackshully, zhe judges would be: I; Me; Myself :D ...and I never named zhees judges in the forum only answered in Private Messages, so you can relax and stop holding that breath for any longer! (kidding)

Well, every town needs a colourful festival hat now and again, don't they, be it protectively or entertainingly? :)

Bossel, when you have some time to spare you should start a challenge yourself. Judging phase really can be instrumental in understanding the approaches of the photographers and the photos themselves. I definitely learned a lot and believe me the simplest-looking photo can be difficult to cast away ...

"In Rainbows We Trust" should be your and your town's motto! :D

Zhee judges salute you and bid a good night to you and your 'Safecity' citizens....

Thanks

Yildiz
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

this was a great challenge I liked all the entries and was glad I had something to contribute.