Challenge 17: The Liberal :) - Winner Chosen

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
aster
Tower of Babel

Challenge 17: The Liberal :) - Winner Chosen

Unread post by aster »

Driven by a 'liberal' feeling I'd like to announce a new challenge. :D

"The Liberal"

After reading Juanito200's reply that he was embracing the more liberal approach to Challenge 16 and being a route-defying person myself who encourages the liberal outlook, I believe that we should provide the space and the challenge for these 'liberal' photographers who see and approach things differently.

The concept: Anything or any situation you thought was a liberal act, either in public by others or by yourself as the photographer; i.e. taking a photo in an unaccusttommed way like hanging upside down a tree branch or..???.

Enjoy and good luck everyone!

Yildiz

Specifications:
* Last date for submissions is 20 October 2009, Tuesday.
* You are welcome to enter with as many images as you like.
* Image size should comply with the forum rules.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge 17: The Liberal :)

Unread post by bakubo »

It isn't so clear what you are wanting in this challenge, but I think it is pretty safe to say that these people in the Vancouver Gay Pride Parade tend to be rather liberal. :)

Last edited by bakubo on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bakubo wrote:It isn't so clear what you are wanting in this challenge, but I think it is pretty safe to say that these people in the Vancouver Gay Pride tend to be rather liberal. :)
No, it isn't clear Bakubo. :D That's because liberals aren't clear. They are there to change things, to start things by changing the old trail and going a different way. Who knows what a liberal really is until we see acts or actions we are not accustomed to and suddenly recognize them.

Your photos fit the concept, as far as I can see.... :D

Thanks for the 'carnavalesque' starter.

Yildiz
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Wonderful colors Henry. Can't get more liberal than this :^) Great shots.
"I love a Parade"
Not too far from your front door I would think? I had an apt on Burnaby St, in the 90s
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

On viewing this rather interesting post (great idea, "Liberal", must dig out a pic of J Thorpe or P Ashdown) I noted a banner at the top saying Forum rules - 1 image only and no follow-ups.

Since when? I thought we were allowed 3. Clearly Henry thinks so as well. Is this a server issue, David? If so, quite understand.
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

I thought so too artington. However Aster is very Liberal.
Here is a reply I received from her.

Hello David Antony,

Actually, you are allowed to participate with as many photos as you like. The starter of the challenge is also the rule maker or breaker; and as the starter of this challenge I made sure that everyone could post as many as they like in my first post. If you wish to improve this photo in any form; you can either delete this photo and upload your new one in its place or continue creating new posts with new images.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

:D
Yep, I said that!

Yildiz-the Liberal
david antony wrote:I thought so too artington. However Aster is very Liberal.
Here is a reply I received from her.

Hello David Antony,

Actually, you are allowed to participate with as many photos as you like. The starter of the challenge is also the rule maker or breaker; and as the starter of this challenge I made sure that everyone could post as many as they like in my first post. If you wish to improve this photo in any form; you can either delete this photo and upload your new one in its place or continue creating new posts with new images.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I used a liberal shutter speed for these Christmas lights in Tokyo along with some intentional jiggling of the camera:

Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Henry, that's a very beautiful "abstract" shot. How interesting those blue lights came out. I think I should try that. :idea:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge 17: The Liberal :) - Winner Chosen

Unread post by aster »

Hi everyone, :)

" 4/4=1 Photographer "

We had four entries by our one and only Henry / Bakubo and I think that we're pretty safe in announcing him the winner, if there are no ghost images hiding their whereabouts from the judges' eyes in this challenge, that is! :D

Bakubo congratulations and thank you for participating! :)

Now, this really is a 'liberal' result: One of its kind.

Yildiz
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I protest!! I think Henry should have won!!

um.. what? .. oh...

congrats Henry... which picture won though ?
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dear Javelin; :D

The judges took into account your protest and had one new gathering and they say:

"Who better are liberals than the 'long-masculine-legged-cute-swimsuit-ladies' that have 'marriage' written all over them in the name of love, parading down your motorway instead of the sandy beaches ? "

The second is ruled out for being a festival costume on a woman. It's a familiar sight we're accostummed to seeing during carnavals.

The third is ruled out for lack of composition. The writing on the canvas on the 'Vancouver Men's Chorus' trailer can't be read altough while it is a verse from a song released in 1965 by The Supremes' "Stop ! In the Name of Love! ".

The fourth photo, 'liberal shutter speed' was ruled out because it also needs a written explanation from the photographer to understand the relation to the challenge concept. It's a beautiful abstract of lights though...

Thanks
Yildiz
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

aster wrote:The second is ruled out for being a festival costume on a woman. It's a familiar sight we're accostummed to seeing during carnavals.
Are you sure that person is a woman? Or, at least are you sure the person was born a woman? I am not sure. :)
aster wrote: The fourth photo, 'liberal shutter speed' was ruled out because it also needs a written explanation from the photographer to understand the relation to the challenge concept. It's a beautiful abstract of lights though...
The phrase "liberal shutter speed" was the explanation! :)
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hey Bakubo! :D

Good to hear from you!

No, of course I didn't think the person in the second photo was a 'woman' but the photo is limited to upper body and the excessive make-up, facial bone structure and the breasts don't give much hint of the full story like in the first... it could easily be a photo taken at the Rio Carnaval where similar outfits are very popular among female dancers also.

So, the photo needs your phrase input there as well. Like: " Yildiz, don't forget to tell your judges that there's a gender in question in the making of this photo! :) "

Maybe we should have 'Phrase+Photo story' challenges ...hmm, I like the idea.

Thanks Bakubo. You made the challenge colourful, fun and very easy to judge... :D

Yildiz