Voting Procedure for the Challenges

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Voting Procedure for the Challenges

Unread post by Dusty »

Yildiz, you deserve this. Looking at the photo challenges, out of the 17 so far, they have been initiated by:
Aster, Queen of the Photo Challenge - 10
David Kilpatrick - 2
Dusty (me) - 2
Bonneville - 1
Kevin Barrett - 1
Lonnie Utah - 1

You have single-handedly kept this a viable and much visited section of the Forums.

Congrats,
Dusty

Note to DK, I suggest the above as Aster's new title of rank.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Javelin, Dusty and Dr. Harout and everyone, :D

Thank you all very much for thoughtful insight on this matter and for the kind support you so openly put out...

Kevin;

Thanks for clarifying the poll feature's limitations. I'm still working on how to exercise the voting with the collaboration of the forum members.

What occurred to me today was that any outsider who was willing enough to jeopardize the natural and true running of the poll can just as easily register to the forum temporarly and make changes in a certain way he/she favours.
If we wish every forum member to be able to vote, the best way may just be the most transparent method: simply naming their selections. I'd hate to see soome of the best works comprimised due to ill-intentioned new comers.

I'll work on this some more... and hopefully we'll have our winners and runner-ups.

Thanks
Yildiz
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Yildiz, if you feel it limits anything I will change the name back but of course leave you as moderator - the choice is your. However, your challenges have been fun and the way you've 'run' them has made them work better. You always have something positive to say about each picture and that helps.

I do hope you are not flooded, I have seen some of the pictures. Maybe the rain will wash away some of those illegal building developments you don't like seeing spring up round you!

David
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi David,

I never wish to interfere with the way you make changes to the board. It has a way of running its course.
I got used to the idea after seeing it there for the whole of a day now. It's how others perceive it that mattered more because I won't be changing in any way.

I decided to see it like this:
Aster means star or star-shaped and since we're looking for the ultimate stars of the challenges and name them the winners, anybody can be a star and an Aster. So anyone who has a will to be the star/winner of that challenge can be just at home there as any other thread in the forums.

Let's have some stars/champs/winners in the challenges. :D

Thank you for the thought, and no, we're not flooded at my location. Maybe, just maybe, the severe rain can be a lesson and those confiscating the ever-free land pieces can be removed forvever. They endanger their lives, families and cause a major problem of slum-like pollution in the nice ditricts of the cities.

Thanks

Yildiz

ps. Had the name been 'Yildiz's Photo Challenge', I'd request a change because nobody would correlate it to its universal counterpart.
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

Hi Yildiz and congratultions on becoming a moderator of the forum (very well deserved - although didn't the last person to be granted that status go totally beserke :lol: )
Dr. Harout wrote:May I humbly suggest that Yildiz (as the idea proposer) should pick 5-7 pictures from the whole bunch and leave the rest for the poll.
But the first step, she might consult with some members, e.g. forward just 3 shots to 3 members to pick the best, and then another 3 for other 3 members and so forth, till you have 5-7 shots remained.
I like Harout's suggestion.

Oh BTW, you seem to be about to crack the 1000 posts milestone so even more plaudits to you Image
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Another suggestion.

Unread post by Cogito »

But first, congratulations, Yildiz, on your deserved recognotion.
I quite like the way the Dyxum challenges are resolved. A judge selects a number of images for the final and then anyone who is a member of the forum can vote. # points for one image and ! point for another image - neither image being their own.
Maybe we can increase Yildiz's burden by accepting her selections as those for the final and then let the voting begin?
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you Cogito, you're very kind! :D

Hello everbody; :D

Here's what I came up with over last night, which partly resembles everything everyone suggested before. I wish to give this procedure a try and if we don't like it or some undesirable things occur we can go back to my old way of the judging... which is fun also. :)

Voting Procedure Trial No: 1

1/.... I will select the most qualified photos from the whole of the submissions; for sharpness+colours or monochrone+composition+subject suitability for the challenge+originality+postproduction etc.
2/.... I will divide the selected bunch into groups of 2 or 3 or 4 depending on the total sum of the images.
3/.... I will 'private message' these group of images out to members. Every member will receive a bunch that's other than his/hers.
4/.... I will ask the members to give points for the images in an order of:

*Best in the bunch of three: 5
*Second best in the bunch of three: 3
*Third best in the bunch of three: 1

Important: Members' selections will not in any form be disclosed by myself. It'll be strictly confidential on my part.

5/.... I will have a chart ready where I'll add these points and find which images are to be polled. Around 5-10 photos/Images will be selected.
6/.... Members will vote in a certain period of time.
7/.... Winners will be announced at the end of that period.

Would you agree with this, because I'll start this right away without further delay. :D

Thanks,
Yildiz
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Will you PM only those that have images posted in the respective thread?
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Javelin,

No, I will PM all members that are active in the forum in daily basis, whether they participated or not is not an issue at all. a good eye and love of photography is all that's required. :D

For example: You're definitely on my list of 'members to be Pmed. I hope that's fine with you because I trust you judgement and I've seen the quality of your photos when you share them with us. :)

So everyone, don't be surprised if you get messages from me requiring your selection I hope to take very little of your time.

Thanks,

Yildiz
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Totally agree with Yildiz.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dusty