A Challenge Gallery Required ?

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
aster
Tower of Babel

A Challenge Gallery Required ?

Unread post by aster »

Hello dear members, :D

I wish to run an idea by you before I mention this to David Kilpatrick;

Since there have been a substantial number of challenges in the run we also had some good photos that highly deserved their places in the results.

Do you think we should start a new section or a thread that only will display the winners one after the other while linking to the original challenge threads?
I think it could make a good compilation of images and an opportunity to address the photographers' recognition in a sort of organized setting.

I'd like to hear what you think please, :)

Thanks in advance,

Yildiz
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: A Challenge Gallery Required ?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

It wouldn't have to be a huge production. As a moderator you could unlock and lock a thread within this forum to place winning photographs on the pedestal. To smooth the appearance, and keep it as if a gallery, format it like so:

Put the name of each challenge in the subject line of each post, and imbed the link to the thread in the photo by nesting the img and url links.

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=2981][img]http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5707/5davidantony2.jpg[/img][/url]
Below the image, the photographer's name linked to his profile.

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1587]david antony[/url]
Finished, it would look like this:
Enjoy The Fresh Air! wrote:Image

david antony
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thanks Kevin, that's exactly what I had in mind.

Your input is invaluable and as I was trying to get people's opinion on what they'd feel about a gallery for the challenge images, I gather you're one to be positive on this. :)

I'll go for it.

Yildiz
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

aster wrote: Do you think we should start a new section or a thread that only will display the winners one after the other while linking to the original challenge threads?
I think it could make a good compilation of images and an opportunity to address the photographers' recognition in a sort of organized setting.

I'd like to hear what you think please, :)
Yildiz
Firstly I don't think you should ever use content in new contexts without permission so this usage should be clear in the posting setting up a challenge.
Secondly any images aggregated into a new posting should be posted in the same form. For example if the orignal image was an external link the new posting should still be the same external link and not a new copy of the image.

Personally I'm not bothered who wins, it is more interesting to see the entries and how people interpret some of the themes.

Harvey
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

harvey wrote: Firstly I don't think you should ever use content in new contexts without permission so this usage should be clear in the posting setting up a challenge.
Hi Harvey,

That's why I started this thread in part but I think this can be one of the participation rules that the participant may be asked to agree. Otherwise, naturally the photo will not be used in the gallery or with a purpose that exceeds reference intentions.
harvey wrote:
Secondly any images aggregated into a new posting should be posted in the same form. For example if the orignal image was an external link the new posting should still be the same external link and not a new copy of the image.
Creating a new external link; this I did with Bakubo's photos in the last challenge with - I hope - his permission, because I did PM him to show what I was planning on doing. He gave me his opinion on the presentation and I moved on from there.
Some strange things can happen though, like the images Lonnie Utah submitted. I could view the photos in the forum with no apparent problems, so I downloaded them to a folder pertaining to the challenge with the rest of the submitted images to view them on the same page as a whole. Lonnie Utah's JPGs didn' show as thumbnails nor did they open in Photoshop or other viewing programs for some reason. So I went back and screengrabbed his photos to view. There's nothing wrong with my computer and it only happened with his images repeatedly.
There can be some complications that are not forseen. I did externally link David Antony's and Ossie's photos after I straightened the horizon in Ossie's photo and cleaned the haze with some adjustments. This required a new upload and yes, it may have offended Ossie, which I hope he'll forgive me because I didn't have enough time to contact him privately to ask his permission. I'll seek a way to delete it from the external link if possible if this truely bothers Ossie.
There was a similar approach for David Antony's file.
I personally don't approve touching other photogaphers' photos but I knew the potential in them and just for once adjusted some minor settings. It is time-consuming and better be performed by the photographer but I hope for this once this attempt will not hurt them or cause unsettling feelings among us.

I rather think everything should be done by the photographer but those individual photos had potential and I thoought it would be my lazziness if I didn't do something.....I know how it may appear to the viewer though: conceited and presumptious perhaps.

I appoligize inadvance David Antony and Ossie, if I offended you in any way for the actions I speak of above.

Thanks for the input Harvey,
Yldiz
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

If the members want, I can set up and pay for (it costs very little) a pBase account for Photoclubalpha challenges, with a single password and username which will be given (by Aster, or by me) to participants. I would suggest using the site's Coppermine system if it was not so unreilable and limited.

David
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

David Kilpatrick wrote: If the members want, I can set up and pay for (it costs very little) a pBase account for Photoclubalpha challenges, with a single password and username which will be given (by Aster, or by me) to participants. I would suggest using the site's Coppermine system if it was not so unreilable and limited.
David
Pbase is no paragon of reliability either. Also, their image resizer is terrible. I'm looking for an alternative.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi,

This may come as irrelevant at the moment for this topic but I wished to share with the members what can happen sometimes while in the preparation stage of the presentation in an attempt to complement my previous post.

As you can see, all photo files from the 'Enjoy the Fresh Air' challenge are laid out as thumbnails and some files like Bakubo's can be seen as framed compilations which we later decided with Bakubo as which one will enter the presentation/announcement.

Due to some unsorted reason Lonnie Utah's file would not open even after the three-different-download attempts of mine while others showed instantly.

I still do not know the reason.

Just wanted to share this ... :) But it has a work-around by using screen capturing.

Thanks,

Yildiz
Attachments
Thumbnails-Lonnie Utah's jpg.jpg
Some files of Lonnie Utah not opening
(185.52 KiB) Downloaded 1609 times