Challenge 20: "Fall Colors" - Submissions

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
Ewannawe
Oligarch

Re: Challenge 20: "Fall Colors" - Submissions

Unread post by Ewannawe »

Out and about today, it was a horrible grey day leaving everything flat and not very promising. PP saved the day..

Last edited by Ewannawe on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reality is merely illusion, albeit a persistent one. ~ Albert Einstein
To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge. ~ Benjamin Disraeli
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi,

Fall colours of different delicacies...
Shot under the light of a setting Sun in Istanbul in front of a fruit vendor's exhibit of season's offerings, hence the dark background and I tried something different in post-production, like a little edginess.

Yildiz
Attachments
fall colours1.jpg
(709.16 KiB) Downloaded 1874 times
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Love it Yildiz! The colors look over saturated but it came out good! Sell it as a fruit market ad.

Dusty
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

:D Thanks Dusty,

Still trying to get used to the 'look' of it all myself...

Yildiz
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

One healthy shot Yildiz! I like it.

Lots of really good photos posted in this thread.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you David Antony! :D

Fall provides many fruits and nutritious edibles for us here. If I can find a more spectacular gathering of them that can fit into a wide angle I'll definitely shoot it but so far so good. :)

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi,

I'll risk my neck with the same scene-opposite-angle if only to share with you. :D

I like this one better...still with a hint of over-saturation though...and some wide-end distortions!

Disclaimer: Try not to hurt your eyes when looking.

Yildiz
Attachments
fall colours 3.jpg
(595.39 KiB) Downloaded 1842 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

This fall we saw the fall of a building that used to be part of a certain architectural era and was standing as a derelict volume in the heart of the city. It was rather sad seeing it brought down by those ruthless hydrolic tongs...

In a different understanding of the topic requirement, the colour of the 'fall' was orange for this building when it said goodbye.

Yildiz
Attachments
colour of 'fall'.jpg
(335.19 KiB) Downloaded 1827 times
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Here is a fall photograph taken last Sunday morning while I was out for a walk during a visit in the West Virginia city in which I was born and raised. Some of the fog in the valley had not yet burned off, so only part of the hills in the background were visible.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Fall-703976.jpg
(710.5 KiB) Downloaded 1812 times
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Here is another shot from last week.
Fall-703639.jpg
(736.76 KiB) Downloaded 1812 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi UrsaMajor,

What a gorgeous tree! You certainly live in an icredibly beautiful distirict.. :) And I definitely love the homage in the second shot. How graceful and we're all thankful to people who plant trees with the future generations in their thoughts.

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

aster wrote: What a gorgeous tree! You certainly live in an icredibly beautiful distirict.. :)
Actually, I have been living in California since I graduated from University many years ago. I took those photos last week while on a visit to the city in West Virginia where I was born, and where I lived until I was 21. (West Virginia is a couple of hundred Km from the East Coast of the US, so it is about 4000 Km from where I now live.) IMO, both California and West Virginia have beautiful scenery, but the colors in West Virginia during the Fall are different from anything I have seen in California, and I attempted to plan my trip to be in West Virginia during the changing of the seasons there. I was a little early, as my estimate when I left to return to California was that the peak colors would be about today or tomorrow.
aster wrote: And I definitely love the homage in the second shot. How graceful and we're all thankful to people who plant trees with the future generations in their thoughts.
I agree. In the early 1960s, the people in the city had an organized program to plant a variety of trees along the river to help beautify the area. The cost of the trees and the labor to plant them was paid for entirely with voluntary contributions.

There are now hundreds of grown trees along the river that provide green during the Summer and color during the Spring and Fall. (BTW, the tree in the first picture is just one in the front yard of the family that lives in the house, and is not part of the organized program I just described. A high percentage of the people in the city have trees and bushes in their yards that are colorful in the Spring and Fall.)

With best wishes,
- Tom -
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you very much for conveying the actual facts behind these beauties UrsaMajor. :)

It definitely was a selfless act of vision and consideration and now they have a great piece of land the new-comers can admire and enjoy.

May I make a little suggestion about photos such as these, with the hope that I do not offend you, as I know that these are brilliant photos?
When you get to these priceless towns, sights and valleys of grand trees, please try always to shoot in wider angles or with panoramas in mind, because they'd yield excellent results. Just a tiny suggestion though, don't mean to interfere with your preferences. :)

Thanks once again,
Yildiz
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

UrsaMajor wrote:Here is a fall photograph taken last Sunday morning ...
Absolutely gorgeous!
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Ewannawe- I really enjoyed your pictures. The contrast of the grey skies and fall colors is very beautiful. I kept being drawn to no. 3.. I'm not 100% sure why. Perhaps it is a part of fall that isn't frequently photographed. That, and it is a nice composition..
Aster.. That is a wonderfully "liberal" interpretation of the challenge. I always enjoy reading your 'stories behind the photo'. I would look at the fruit more, but I am hungry and it is making me more so!
There are some wonderful entries here!
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!