C.D.C. Challenge 1: "Portraiture" - Submissions

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: C.D.C. Challenge 1: "Portraiture"

Unread post by aster »

pakodominguez wrote:Is the Dimage 7Hi a "Compact" or a "point and shoot"?
;-)

I took this picture at dusk, somewhere in the middle of Mauritania while we were waiting for the tide to leave us drive trought the beach.

Regards.
PS: how many pics can we post?
Hi Pako, :D

That's vey lovely Marutanian woman's photo.

To clarify any possible confusion, compacts and point&shoot cameras are all allowed. Any non-(d)slr camera including cameras on cell phones are all eligible for the 'Compact Digital Camera' challenges.

And to clarify further about the cameras, you can even enter a photo taken with a camera made out of a match box or a simple material which is your very-own-creative design. As long as it can take photos and is non-(d)slr, all is good and acceptable.
If you're a creative one, go for it! :D

Enjoy!

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Javelin; Dr. Harout; Mike; and all,

Lovely subjects and good portraits! Good to see some humour prevailing in the frames besides angelic captures and under-water-bubble-man shots... :)

Well done,

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I'm really enjoying this challenge, such a great mixture of people shots, and I guess the CDC excels at being there at the right moment. Here are a couple from my CDC collection.

A recent one with my Sony T500 (I bought it for the HD video :D). Late afternoon in the garden, a bit of backlighting with sun through the trees. For something the size of a pack of cards, I'm very pleased with the camera.

One from the dawn (for me) of digital photography. December 22nd 2001, on the Isle of Mull Ferry (brrrr!), with my wife thinking "Other people fly to the sun for Christmas!". My first digital, a Sony (what else :D) P100 (or maybe P1?), 3 mega pixel, and it seemed like a miracle. Paid for itself in <1 year (no development costs) although I was restricted to recording the pictures on to VCR tapes to show around the family at that time.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

A great Mother and Daughter moment, Birma!

Lovely photo. That little lady looks gorgeous already... :D

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I took this picture with the 7Hi at the primary school at Albreda, The Gambia.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Pako, that is a great shot. I feel very sad about Dick Bryant's retirement, much too early death, and the loss of what we had in Minolta Mirror. Fifteen years ago, this would have been the photo which would have tipped me into sending your name to Dick as a potential Mirror interview. Today I have no connection to anyone with the same rôle. I even think that if I was to suggest someone to you-know-who at Minolta UK, it could have the reverse effect - screw their chances up.

You've been keeping your Bakubo-style world travels under wraps, be good to see more.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David,

Thank you for your kind words. Doing events is a wonderful training for shooting everything else.

This ("travel photography" or so...) is what I do when I can finance a trip. I have lots of negatives and slides waiting for been re-scanning... I did a photobook with pictures from a traditional celebration in Paucartambo (Cuzco, Peru) I took in 1993 (I reproduced the slides with the 50mm Macro on the A700) and my friends asked me why I was hiding this pictures for that long -I just don't have time for scann neg/slides!

I want to improve a way to reproduce/duplicate slides with bellows and/or macro lens and the A850 will be a perfect camera for that -scann in high rez take just too long.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Pako,

The school kids are very nice. The skin colour and the uniforms' blue make for interesting and striking combinations in the scene and the light is coming from a good angle adding to the overall appearance.

:)

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Ewannawe wrote: So start looking through your old files (or shoot it tomorrow) and find something interesting, cute or quirky that you can show us all as an example of portraiture captured on anything BUT an SLR.
Here is a photo that I took with my Dimage A2 right after I purchased it in 2004. It is of my younger granddaughter enjoying some ice cream at the "31 Flavors" store near our home.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

04041461s.jpg
(98.66 KiB) Downloaded 1580 times