Challenge 21: “Bend That Light!” - Winner Chosen

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
aster
Tower of Babel

Challenge 21: “Bend That Light!” - Winner Chosen

Unread post by aster »

Welcome to our new challenge everyone! :)

For our new challenge , we’re asked to bend the light to our will in the limits that our lenses, cameras and tripods would permit.

We can use sophisticated tools to enhance the final scene but can also use the simplest approach that we think is sufficient for your end-result.

We must also see at least a ghostly backdrop of the actual scene you worked your skills on to understand your photograph..

Here are three simple samples that I have created as the mood took me from the Bosphorus, Istanbul.

I hope you enjoy going creative and being a light painter that will open our visions to new dimensions of geometry, chaos or liberated styles.

Enjoy!
Thanks

Yildiz

Specifications:

*Last day for submissions 29 November 2009
*You can submit as many photos as you like or enter a favourite one of yours
*Please adhere to forum rules for image sizes
runwaystyle1.jpg
(620.9 KiB) Downloaded 2566 times
rotation 1.jpg
(760.39 KiB) Downloaded 2566 times
linear cascades 1.jpg
(855.66 KiB) Downloaded 2566 times
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Challenge 21: “Bend That Light!” - Submissions

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

A couple
DSC00185.JPG
DSC00185.JPG (303.92 KiB) Viewed 5132 times
DSC00182.JPG
DSC00182.JPG (242.28 KiB) Viewed 5132 times
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Well, I guess I'll follow Lonnie's lead with an automotive inspired entry. Taken by holding my camera with the Sigma 10-20 out of the sunroof. ISO 800, 18mm, f13, 1/1.3 sec about 75 mph. Right side cropped for composition (no lights there). John
Attachments
commute resize.jpg
(587.63 KiB) Downloaded 2516 times
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Here is my "accident" - I call it Bora Bora :mrgreen: Depending on your phantasy, you might also see the silhouette/decolleté of a young women :lol:

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

All entries are nice! :)

Bossel your entry also reminded me of scripture that we know as calligraphy, of a secret language...

Sorry, I couldn't figure out the ladies part yet...still searching the frame for the likeness. :)

Yildiz
Ewannawe
Oligarch

Unread post by Ewannawe »

We had some impromptu fireworks tonight, I was both firework lighter and photographer - it was not well organised. I was shooting handheld with shutter priority so really wasn't expecting much - more an experiment than anything.. most have already been deleted but I thought I'd share these three with you that came out surprisingly sharp considering conditions.

{edit: Hmm, on reflection these are not eligible as I have not 'bent' the light, merely photographed it in the process or arcing about. I'll see if I can't set up something else tonight and get something more appropriate.)
Last edited by Ewannawe on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reality is merely illusion, albeit a persistent one. ~ Albert Einstein
To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge. ~ Benjamin Disraeli
harveyzone
Oligarch

Unread post by harveyzone »

--
Tom
Juanito200
Viceroy

Here is some sunlight 'bent' by the aperture blades of my 100-300apo. I call it 'Solar System'. I was wearing welding goggles so I could look through the viewfinder. ISO 100, 100mm, f32 1/400. Increased saturation, contrast and fiddled with DRO. BTW if you ever want to know exactly how much dust is on your sensor, take a picture like this!!!
Attachments
flare solar system edit resize.jpg
(290.07 KiB) Downloaded 2470 times
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Ewannawe,

:D I'm happy that no accidents happenned while you fired those fireworks. They appear to be pretty close to you...

All you had to do was play the little indian boy and run around the fireworks to create some light trails! :D

Would love to see your new contributions as well, if you get round to it.

Thanks,
Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Harveyzone,

:D That's a spooky tunnel and a great effect. I still am trying to figure out how you achieved the effect.

Thanks,
Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi John, :D

Technically correct...so we understand that we can also use the dust on our sensors and lenses to bend the light in random starry patterns.

Something that hasn't occurred to me. That's thinking outside the box! : "No tripod nearby? Just collect some dust by changing the lens in the wind and voila, you're ready to bend some light." :D

Thanks,
Yildiz
Juanito200
Viceroy

I'll stick to more traditional methods. It took me 20 minutes to 'shop out all the little dots!
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

Actual photos when trying to hand-hold a long lens for a number of seconds....
Neither shot has anything but a bit of a cleanup.
This with a Minolta 7Hi. 8 secs at 200mm. It's a picture of the full moon over San Francisco bay......

And this with a Minolta a2. 6 secs at 28mm but I'd had a drink or two... It's the lights around the exit from the hotel we were staying in one Christmas.

Just goes to show, I don't throw much away..... :( :( :(
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Since I am feeling lazy and don't feel like searching for something else and since this photo wasn't deemed to be appropriate for one of the other challenges I will repost it here. :) I used a slow shutter speed for these Christmas lights in Tokyo along with some intentional jiggling of the camera:

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

I heard the judges whispering:

"Bakubo, finally turned the right bend and parked his Christmas lights in the right challenge. We must put more forum traffic lights around so our participants wouldn't get lost on the many roads leading to the challenges and park in the wrong spaces!"

And I told them it was because he was on the many roads of Japan and sometimes that can be a bit like "all roads lead to the same photo" kind of confusion. :D

The judges would like to see this photo in the 'phrase + photo story' challenges also please! :)

Thanks Bakubo. Good contribution!

Yildiz