Challenge 22: "Portraiture"- (D)SLRs only - In Judging Phase

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Challenge 22: "Portraiture"- (D)SLRs only - Submissions

Unread post by pakodominguez »

The father of the bride.
A700 and 100mm f2.8 Soft Focus @ f4
Metz 58 AF-1 bounced to the ceiling.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Rose:

Johnc
Initiate

Unread post by Johnc »

Chinese Cormorant Fisherman.
Taken during a recent trip to China, at a town/village called Yangshuo - on the Li River, downstream from Gulin.
Undoubtedly the most beautiful part of the country we visited, and the photo that made my day,week and trip.
Attachments
DSC01852_800.jpg
(292.56 KiB) Downloaded 1856 times
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

Arun Gaur
Heirophant

Unread post by Arun Gaur »

Some of my friends at the Photoclub have prompted me to submit this image for the Challenge.

As mentioned elsewhere I came across this benign spirit of mountains at Thandear, around 20-30 kilometers farther to Narkanda. Narkanda is at 2700 meters. We went a little down from Narkanda. So possibly the height was around 2500 meters. I with Akash (Now he is in 9th class and helps me in changing my lenses, unfolding and folding of the tripod and many other emergent matters that crop up) started from Panchkula on scooter at 5 a.m. during the summer holidays of May and reached this place at 5 p.m. As I thought I would get accommodation at Thanedar for the night-halt, we proceeded very leisurely in the late evening sun. The posted photo is one of those leisurely shoot-outs. After that in spite of our best efforts, we could not get accommodation there and had to proceed down on the steep unmetalled road in the gathering darkness and with a puncture in the extra wheel. It is one of the steepest descents in the area. I had to rely on breaks heavily and when changing tyre on the way because of the puncture I found the metal in the tyre was so hot that I could not touch it. I poured water to make it cool and steam came out. Due to the heat, even the breaks failed to work on the way. Only when we rested for sometime breaks started working again. I had to be extra careful here because the kid was with me.

I relate all this just to give the idea that sometimes the shots that we like are not taken easily. One cannot simply know by just looking at an image the extent of difficulties that a photographer faced before, after and during the take of that shot.

However, we safely succeeded in reaching Rampur at 9 p.m. Rampur is at 900 meters.

Camera Alpha 350
Lens: 70-210F4
F number F7.1
ISO 100
Shutter Speed 1/250

I hope you enjoy it.
Regards,

Arun Gaur

http://tripolia-indianlandscapeimages.com

Johnc
Initiate

Unread post by Johnc »

Can always rely on Colin.
Attachments
DSC05774_800.jpg
(268.78 KiB) Downloaded 1805 times
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Wonderful portrait John. It's a shot with a positive aura. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Johnc
Initiate

Unread post by Johnc »

Thank you. When I saw him walking towards us carry his 'goodies' I just had to reach for the camera and get one in quickly - very lucky it came out well. Wonderful man with a happy and jovial demeanor.
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge 22: "Portraiture"- (D)SLRs only - In Judging Phase

Unread post by aster »

Hello everyone, :D

Ladies and Gentlemen,

We're very happy to announce that this challenge is now in judging phase...

Thank you all very much for your participation and sharing your lighting skills.

Yildiz