Photo Challenge #30: "Over and Under"

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Photo Challenge #30: "Over and Under"

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

The prompt for this challenge, "Over and Under," is open for interpretation. Entrants can interpret the prompt however they please, as many times as they please, and with any subject matter, but with these requirements:
  • Entries must be received by June 30, 2010.
  • Entries must be new photographs taken for this challenge specifically.
  • An explanation of how the image addresses the prompt must be plausible but unnecessary.
Violations will be disqualified and/or manipulated with a lolcat meme generator. Ten finalists will be chosen based on the clarity with which the prompt is addressed, and a winner from among these will be chosen by popular vote. Happy shooting!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Photo Challenge #30: "Over and Under"

Unread post by aster »

Sounds like an interesting idea, Kevin. :D

Good way to kick-start with one nice challenge... Thanks.

Better get to working on the idea guys, including yourself Kevin. Everyone's invited.

Yildiz
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

The first one is a over/under (girl/dolphin) but also a front/back shot! The second one is a truly, strictly vertical over/under.

Shot just 2 days before the challenge, I hope I won't be disqualified (actually I should get a bonus for being the first contributor :mrgreen: )
abbe.jpg
abbe.jpg (169.01 KiB) Viewed 4894 times
abbe2.jpg
abbe2.jpg (117.74 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

KevinBarrett wrote:Ten finalists will be chosen...
Seems I am on the short list till now :mrgreen:
KevinBarrett

bossel wrote:Seems I am on the short list till now :mrgreen:
Well, unfortunately for this challenge, a more straight-forward one was created almost simultaneously. They're both good, but I think this one requires more abstract thinking.

Thank you for your contributions. They're very brilliant and sharp!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hmm... I would enter with this photo had it not been taken just a day before the challenge was announced; it reflects one of the interpretation concepts of 'over and under' for me. :)

I know it disqualifies and I'm not complaining at all. Only wanted to share... :D

Yildiz
SignallingLampDetail 1.jpg
(181.89 KiB) Downloaded 2565 times
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Nice, classic - oldish atmosphere! Though it's in-front-of/behind rather than over/under (or I don't understand the pic) 8)
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bossel wrote:Nice, classic - oldish atmosphere! Though it's in-front-of/behind rather than over/under (or I don't understand the pic) 8)
Hi Bossel,

The over part: The mast and the sail are actually way over this signal lamp which is only 50cm above the deck surface in reality. With the reflection of the sails and the mast caught on the projector's glass, we see them crammed into 2d dimension but the brain perceives and transfers the info as it really is in reality: the sails are way over ahead and the eyes are turned to the under. The reflection serves the idea not curb it.

Something like that. :)

Yildiz
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Great and beautiful shot Yildiz, imho, if you change it to sepia it would be wonderful.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Well, I'm not shooting right now despite fantastic weather - I am stuck inside 12 hours a day processing the results from Antalya, April 2010 - it is amazing how 2 weeks of photography can involve even more than 2 weeks of pp.

But, I have been looking for an entry which could be created from one of the shots, and found one - there is a very small amount of careful retouching to remove a visible part of the tree trunk just under the tea-sellers chin.

Tea tree man:
teatreeman-web.jpg
teatreeman-web.jpg (604.5 KiB) Viewed 4833 times
The picture was also carefully cropped left and right to remove other objects which detracted from the effect.

David
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Excellent example making me smile. But hey, you were photographing the girls, no? :lol:
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dr. Harout wrote:Great and beautiful shot Yildiz, imho, if you change it to sepia it would be wonderful.
Thanks Dr. Harout.
I agree, a little aging of the sepia would make a difference for the better.

Yildiz
KevinBarrett

Aster, pretty as your picture is, I'm just not getting the Over-and-Under-ness of it. BTW, I like it's colors---it would lose something if you changed it to sepia.

David, that shot is very amusing, and exactly the kind of play on the theme I was hoping to find. I must ask, had you planned to get the man with a tree-do or was it a happy accident?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

KevinBarrett wrote:Aster, pretty as your picture is, I'm just not getting the Over-and-Under-ness of it.
Only my eyes and perception can see it. :D :D It was made for my eyes only....

Yildiz
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

KevinBarrett wrote:Aster, pretty as your picture is, I'm just not getting the Over-and-Under-ness of it. BTW, I like it's colors---it would lose something if you changed it to sepia.

David, that shot is very amusing, and exactly the kind of play on the theme I was hoping to find. I must ask, had you planned to get the man with a tree-do or was it a happy accident?
I didn't plan the odd effect of depth of field/bokeh, or the exact timing. I was after a conventional shot with maybe him serving/selling cay to one of the seated people (waiting for a tram). That he happened to be exactly the right height from my perspective was an accident, the timing was to place him between the two groups and exactly under the tree, but I didn't plan the way it looks. That just jumped out when reviewing the pix.

David