Challenge #37: "That Solitary Tree" - Winner Chosen

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
aster
Tower of Babel

Challenge #37: "That Solitary Tree" - Winner Chosen

Unread post by aster »

Hello everyone! :D

Welcome to our new challenge: Challenge #37: "That Solitary Tree"

Our mission is to find "That Solitary Tree" that makes our photos priceless and everlasting.

Be it winter, summer, spring or autumn, there are those trees that stop us in our tracks single-handedly, to take that single shot. So, please share with us... : ))

Looking forward to all your shots!

Yildiz

Specifications:
* The challenge will end on 03 March 2011.
* You can enter with as many photos as you like.
* Please give a name to your photo.
* Feel free to go as creative as you like or to stick with the classical look. : )

Good luck!
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

On South Mountain

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Here is an image I shot about 5 weeks ago, during a holiday visit to Phoenix, Arizona. It was taken from South Mountain, looking out over The Valley Of The Sun and the Phoenix metropolitan area, shortly before sunset. (If you have ever been to Phoenix in the summer, you will have no doubt as to why the area is called "The Valley Of The Sun".) :wink:

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Attachments
On South Mountain-6642.jpg
(204.92 KiB) Downloaded 4808 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge #37: "That Solitary Tree" - Submissions

Unread post by aster »

Indeed a glowing golden light, Tom. :D

A 'heart-brightening' start from you... : )

It must be a wonderfull feeling to stretch one's legs while sittting or lying on that bench and watching the extending valley beneath as it reflects the mood of the sky.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

This is my entry: 'Unlucky no. 7'

In the southern part of Portugal, cork is a very important export product. Due to the unique climate where sweet water, salt, hot air and a moist climate meet, the Cork Oak flourishes. Once every 9 years the bark of the Cork Oak fully regrows itself and local farmers harvest the bark. To keep track of which tree was harvested and when, all trees are numbered with the year when the bark was harvested.

Although it was half October already, the whole north side of mount Foia near Monchique was blooming with flowers and lush green trees. Except for this one Cork Oak. It was the only Cork Oak tree we've found along the whole road which ran down the north side of the mountain. And although it stood in a lively forest among much green, stripped from it's bark, tagged like it was an number and without any of it's species nearby it was alone... solitary...

Last edited by mvanrheenen on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Monkey Pod tree in Hawaii

KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Benbrook Morning

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Stopped me in my tracks alright! I was on a bike ride one morning when I saw this. I used a DSC-TX7 in Backlight HDR mode (due to bright sky), vignetting added in PP.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
caporip
Grand Caliph

Unread post by caporip »

Oak in the mist

A900 + 24-70 zeiss

Exposure 0.013 sec (1/80)
Aperture f/6.3
Focal Length 35 mm
ISO Speed 200
Exposure Bias 0/10 EV
Flash Flash did not fire

Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you....
My Flickr site:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rb56/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

One tree at the bay of Phaselis, Antalya - two photographs, the entry shot is the wide angle, the other shot is to show the situation. From the shore, shooting with the 70-300mm G at 130mm, I could see this tree and the rocks, and I could also see where the sun was coming from - so I made my way to the rocks and shot from the other side of the tree using the 12-24mm Sigma at 12mm.
Attachments
phaselis12.jpg
phaselis12.jpg (201.65 KiB) Viewed 8052 times
phaselis11.jpg
phaselis11.jpg (403.16 KiB) Viewed 8052 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

I have remark that these trees are awesome each in their own right.

You made some good choices everyone! :D

Don't hesitate to upload more than one photo as we proceed in time. Phtographers have a special eye for solitary trees indeed!

Thanks all!

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge #37: "That Solitary Tree" - ends 03 March

Unread post by Birma »

All of the images here are really great. What a very good subject Yildiz :D . Trees have such interesting shapes. I think we must all be drawn to them as subjects especially when isolated and able to show off their form.

The first one here is from January 2009. A frosty dawn in a field of stuble near Pershore in Worcestershire.
Frosty Dawn Tree by Birm, on Flickr

Secondly a more recent picture of a late summer / early autumn apple tree.
Apple Tree by Birm, on Flickr

Both taken with the A100.
Last edited by Birma on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
caporip
Grand Caliph

Unread post by caporip »

Sheep hoping lightning won't strike twice.

Camera Sony DSLR-A900
Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture f/5
Focal Length 100 mm
ISO Speed 200
Exposure Bias 0/10 EV
Flash Flash did not fire

Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you....
My Flickr site:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rb56/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Birma wrote:All of the images here are really great. What a very good subject Yildiz . Trees have such interesting shapes. I think we must all be drawn to them as subjects especially when isolated and able to show off their form.

:D Thank you, Birma.

Indeed they present themselves as good photography subjects and your quest for some yielded very impressive ones.

----------------------------------

Caporip, that's a nice one for thinking right out of the box for going for a burnt, dead tree but no less impressive or 'lifeless' a sculpture that shines in the middle of where it once lived just like what surrounds it now. :)

There's a lot to learn from the perception of a photographer; each one looks at life with such different dynamic reasons! : ) And it just shows in the photos...

Yildiz
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:The first one here is from January 2009. A frosty dawn in a field of stuble near Pershore in Worcestershire.
This one is really nice!
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

bakubo wrote:
Birma wrote:The first one here is from January 2009. A frosty dawn in a field of stuble near Pershore in Worcestershire.
This one is really nice!
Thank you Henry - much appriacted :D . This was a shot I revisited as I thought that my PP skills had improved since I originally took and processed the shot. That, and having a new version of Elements 8) . It is sometimes nice to be able to go back and improve on your work - the wonders of RAW files and improving PP software.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I took this pictures during a tea break in the Sahara desert, in between Zouerat and Bir Moghrein, Mauritania. This tree doesn't looks solitary, because you can see a couple of other trees in the back...

But you'll understand better this tree "solitude" after seen this photograph I took 10 minutes after:
Last edited by pakodominguez on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;