Challenge #37: "That Solitary Tree" - Winner Chosen

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Re: Challenge #37: "That Solitary Tree" - ends 03 March

Unread post by InTheSky »

I'm feeling this three is thinking about something :

And I can call that one, the poor little baby tree :

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Here are a couple of pictures of a dead tree near to where I live that I regulary pass by. It is not completely solitary, but I think it looks isolated as all of the other trees are still very much alive!
I especially like that first one. You have found your calling, lots of great tree photos!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Juanito200 wrote:Here is but my humble entry, from last year at a local park.
Nice photo! Great sky.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Buddhist monk resting against a tree in the hilltribe area of northern Thailand

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I like the background in that one Henry - it sets the tree in context.

I have looked at it for some minutes but I can't see the monk :shock: . I have this sort of suspicion that this is a 'Grasshopper' moment and I am not looking at the picture correctly or something :lol: .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Continued great shots.
Thanks for the compliments Birma and Henry. That shot is one of my favorites from last year.
Birma- your shot with the frosted stubble is fantastic.
Frank- I like the one with the tree just sticking above the snow. Very solitary indeed.
Henry- Finally, after looking for a while at the photo, I realize that the 'monk' is the green to the right of the tree! Very cool!!
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Henry, wonderful spotting!

Such a peaceful green soul he is! :D It's like a real giant human monk sat there and finally became 'one' with nature through an intensive awakening of the inner truth during his last meditation.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

aster wrote:Henry, wonderful spotting!

Such a peaceful green soul he is! :D It's like a real giant human monk sat there and finally became 'one' with nature through an intensive awakening of the inner truth during his last meditation.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Ah :oops:

Thanks to John and Yildiz I have taken the first steps on the road to enlightenment.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Birma wrote:Really like that last huge African tree Pako - interesting to see some African trees.
I was thinking about the school built under that huge tree... and I recall some readings on history of religions (my fvorite author is Mircea Elidae) and the tree as a Hierophany and the "Axis Mundi" (REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_mundi). Then, you have Cameron's Avatar who rescued the (that) tree as a symbol of the link between earth and heaven/elders/paradigm.
:-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

n
pakodominguez wrote:
Birma wrote:Really like that last huge African tree Pako - interesting to see some African trees.
I was thinking about the school built under that huge tree... and I recall some readings on history of religions (my fvorite author is Mircea Elidae) and the tree as a Hierophany and the "Axis Mundi" (REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_mundi). Then, you have Cameron's Avatar who rescued the (that) tree as a symbol of the link between earth and heaven/elders/paradigm.
A fine analogy and one I find to be credible.

But I remember that in the Avatar movie the Home tree and the sacred life tree were destroyed by the humans because of Jake.

He changed later though. :) Not without many precious losses that were important...

Yildiz
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

aster wrote:n
pakodominguez wrote:
I was thinking about the school built under that huge tree... and I recall some readings on history of religions (my favorite author is Mircea Elidae) and the tree as a Hierophany and the "Axis Mundi" (REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_mundi). Then, you have Cameron's Avatar who rescued the (that) tree as a symbol of the link between earth and heaven/elders/paradigm.
A fine analogy and one I find to be credible.
hey, we are talking science here!
;-)
aster wrote: But I remember that in the Avatar movie the Home tree and the sacred life tree were destroyed by the humans because of Jake.

He changed later though. :) Not without many precious losses that were important...

Yildiz
Well, Avatar is a modern-western movie that borrows (steal...) images from the old times: myths. The Axis Mundi is an ancient (and not geographical related) myth, that exist today, in diverse manifestations, in several parts of the world. In the Central Andes (Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia) it will be a specific mountain: the Apu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apu_%28god%29), in Africa it will mostly be a tree (even in places were Muslim religion took over the local belief) and in NYC it can be the Sky scrappers!

I think Cameron took that image in order to recreate the Ecologist discourse behind his movie. Remember that he already did it with Alien! in a darker world...

Trees and mountains are nicer...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Absolute science, I know. :D

I know what you mean and find the subject intiguing. I'll start with the links you provided and take a look at how many different religions and creeds draw their rituals and life structuring from it.

Thanks,

Yildiz
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

pakodominguez wrote:I think Cameron took that image in order to recreate the Ecologist discourse behind his movie. Remember that he already did it with Alien! in a darker world...
FWIW, Cameron appears to have taken the plot for "Alien" from one of the short stories in "Voyage of the Space Beagle" by A. E. Van Vogt, which was published about 1939-40. The specific story was "Ixtl", which had a plot so much like "Alien" in so many ways that I have read that van Vogt successfully filed a legal suit for payment.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Here is an image that will never win any prizes for being pretty, but I think that it does meet the Challenge definition. This was an experimental shot that I took at the end of December on the top of South Mountain, near Phoenix Arizona. I noticed this almost-dead tree with the stark outlines of cell-phone towers behind it, and decided to attempt to capture a bit of "Gothic horror" feel in the scene.

It was just after sunset, so everything was in shadow and I put a flash at ground level looking up at the tree in an attempt to get cliche lighting of the tree with the towers silhouetted against the sky behind it. The result did not really come out as well as I had hoped, but I consider it a good learning experience and I have no regret about attempting to capture the image I had visualized.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

KM 7D, Sony 18-250mm lens at 18mm
ISO 200, f:5.6, 1/80 second
Attachments
South Mountain Gothic.jpg
(217.17 KiB) Downloaded 2968 times
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Hi Tom,

Although technically the shot didn't came out the way you planned, the story it tells did in my opinion.

Mark