Challenge #39:“Curvelinear; Angular ; Linear”- Winner Chosen

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Challenge #39:“Curvelinear; Angular ; Linear”- ends May

Unread post by gio67 »

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Amazing entries, Gio67 and Bruce...

I was planning on shooting architectural structures also but found some live species on my way home that sort of fitted the requirements.

The three consulting snails are weighing a piece of catfood that was put there to feed the street cats.

I increased the contrast to emphasize the shell's curvelinear structure...for better or worse. : )

Shot with Samsung GT-S8500 for not having the Alpha with me.

Yildiz
ConsultingSnails 7.jpg
(228.36 KiB) Downloaded 3133 times
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

nice street party Yildiz, great contrast
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

gio67 wrote:nice street party Yildiz, great contrast
:) Thank you, Gio67.

Very kind of you...

Ylldiz
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

I call it Nerves.

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Mark, : )

You call it 'nerves' and it would be true but I still wonder how those birght yellow parallel lines might have come to be? A type of green plant sickness or the sunlight coming through an other subject? : )

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
mvanrheenen

Hi Yildiz,

Fortunately, this plant is doing just fine and hasn't contacted any diseases in it's 5 year existence :-)

It's actually a close-up of a Strelitzia leaf. The plant resides on the ledge by a large windows in our living room. We use horizontal blinds on that window. Because the sun was strong that day, we closed them. The horizontal stripes is the sunlight coming through the blinds and cast on the leaves :-) It made this perfect scene of patterns that instantly caught my eye everytime I entered the room. Finally, I descided to pick up my camera and record it. This is how it ended up. It's a crop of the whole leaf with actually no further processing.

I had a hard time understanding the rules of this contest, so I hope it applies.

Thank you for the interest :-)

Mark
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Mark, : )

Thank you very much for the explanation. I thought that it might be the blinds but the space between was so precisely equal that I had some doubts that lingered...

Regarding the context of the challenge, you have nothing fear because your photo falls within the expected. In fact, any creative approach is already welcome! :D

The theme of the challenge is about finding angles, linear or curvelinear aspects in a more closeup sense of everyday subjects / objects that we usually pass by taking their existance for granted.
It's only an artist's eye that can see what others may never once turn a head for. : ))

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
mvanrheenen

Hi Yildiz,

Thank you for elaborating on the purpose and intent of this challenge. I'm glad my picture complies :-)

Mark
aa los banos
Oligarch

Unread post by aa los banos »

hopefully this fits, tasteful curves :D

.....it's all about timing"
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

aa los banos wrote:hopefully this fits, tasteful curves :D
Hi aa los Banos, : )

You are not bad at all at shooting nude body parts with a taste indeed, aa los Banos...and portraits I should say. The B&W eye closeup and the portrait in the 'Fun shoot' thread are also good products for this type of work. You know where to draw the line when exhibiting in a public forum as well. : )Though I have no personal reserves when nude art is exhibited, I think you created a good sample that won't offend any viewer with the required open mind. : )

(i.e. some viewers from different creeds, religion or more reserved origins may still find this type of work rather offensive in a public forum but there's not much that can be done to shield them in this age, I suppose. They just have to be prepared to a degree.)

The photo falls into the category of curvelinear as far as I'm concerned. : ) So, keep shooting! And if anything else catches your eye, don't be reluctant to share with us during the challenge.

Yildiz
mvanrheenen

Nice entry aa los banos and, if I might add, for more then only esthetic value :-D

Sorry, couldn't resist that last comment :-)
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

aa los banos
Oligarch

Unread post by aa los banos »

thanks aster and mvanrheenen! thanks also for accepting it as an art nude image, this was from a workshop we had with our cam club here....showing the curves of the human body with rim lighting technique :D
.....it's all about timing"
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi aa los Banos, :)

You're welcome. It's a good shot. : )

Hi Gio67,

: ) A good find of curvelinear elments. When one starts looking around the chances of finding something that relates to the the topic of the challenge and this is a different approach.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz

Yildiz