Challenge#40:"So Green Is My Valley-2011"-Winner Chosen

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
aster
Tower of Babel

Challenge#40:"So Green Is My Valley-2011"-Winner Chosen

Unread post by aster »

Hello Everybody! :D

Welcome to our new challenge: Challenge #40:"So Green Is My Valley-2011"

Our new topic is one which proved very successful in the past years. (we had wonderful shots from our contributors that last time)

I believe that there's a good chance that our valleys are no less impressive this year. So, lets take a shot at that! :D

Valleys that are green with vegetation, extending away with lakes and livestock, farm buildings, small villages, flower beds, smooth hills,... anything you find to be interesting and resembles a green valley are welcome. :D

Good luck!

Yildiz

Specifications:
* The challenge ends on 19 June 2011
* The dimensions of the shots should not exceed 1024*1024 pixels
* The forum attachment software will allow for any size but it would be reasonable to think of any viewer with a slower connection or a mobile phone that allows a 3G or WiFi Internet connection and keep the size to moderate for instant-viewing.
* You may enter with as many photos as you like.

Thank you! : )
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge #40:"So Green Is My Valley-2011"

Unread post by Birma »

Oooow :D . Thinking caps on. I enjoyed the contribution to the last green valley challenge so I'm looking forward to see what we get this year.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge #40:"So Green Is My Valley-2011"

Unread post by aster »

Birma wrote:Oooow :D . Thinking caps on. I enjoyed the contribution to the last green valley challenge so I'm looking forward to see what we get this year.

So I am... :D

Yildiz
david antony
Viceroy

Re: Challenge #40:"So Green Is My Valley-2011"-ends June 19

Unread post by david antony »

I took this Monday this week on my trip to Edmonton, does this qualify Aster?
Taken a few mile from McBride BC. in the Robson Valley.

Taken with Minolta 28-75 1/500 sec f/8.0 ISO 200. 28.mm

Last edited by david antony on Mon May 30, 2011 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

david antony wrote:I took this Monday this week on my trip to Edmonton, does this qualify Aster?

Definitely! :D

Very nice photo, David Antony.

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful place....

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Beautiful shot DA :D
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

Why the 250 KB limit?
Can't get to my favorite valleys until July or maybe August.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Winston wrote:Why the 250 KB limit?
Hi Winston, : )

This limit was set by David Kilpatrick and applies to all photos that are to be uploaded to any of the Photo Club Alpha forum threads. My notification is merely to remind everyone so they don't experience 'impatience' and annoyance if their photos don't get through because of size rejections. ( The file upload sofware refuses to upload and displays a 'bigger than 250 KB' warning.)

Winston wrote:Can't get to my favorite valleys until July or maybe August.
Nothing to worry about! :D We can always arrange a "So Green Is My Valley-end of summer 2011" challenge as well. This one is for the end of Spring and beginning of Summer.

I promise you!

How about something hidden in your endless and resourcefull archives, for this time around? : ) Always welcome and will be good for inspiration.

Yildiz
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

I don't understand.
I don't believe I have ever posted an image that small and have never had a problem.
The photo above is 816 KB.
Winston Mitchell
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Winston wrote:I don't understand.
I don't believe I have ever posted an image that small and have never had a problem.
The photo above is 816 KB.

Hi Winston,

Thanks for the heads up. :)

The fact of the matter is there actually was a limitation at some point for all images that needed to be uploaded through the 'attacment process' on the forum site and any photo above 250 KB would prompt a warning saying 'your image can't exceed 250 KB'

I know because I encountered the warning many times in the past.
(no warnings at all this time though! I am sure I wasn't imagining things then because I had to go back and resize my photos more than once.... )

I have just run two tests of uploading through the forum software and strangely enough for me, both the photo below and one larger than 2 mb were uploaded without giving me any problems . This must be new because I remember other members who complained that in order to get the image size down to 250 KB they had to comprimise image quality and end up with highly compressed photos that missed the fine details the original-size photo contained. (those photos were not in challenge threads but in other free-style threads.)

* The problem seems to have been completely nonexistent for some of the photos though. ( I just checked the photos uploaded more than a year ago.)

And I remember that you once had difficulty uploading one of your photos not because of size but because of the dimesion limititation, then you discovered that a minor glitch caused the delay in the upload process.

Here's the link to the thread where you had the problem with not the file size but dimensions of the photo. ( well, not that it matters much now. :) )

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... 0&start=30

And the screencaptures are also attached.

I’ve fixed my original post. Thank you, Winston. :D

You should be around more!

Yildiz

ps: Now that this is solved also, Winston, will you upload one of your gorgeous images then? : )
ps2: I will remove this message later to keep the thread unclutterred.
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

That was a dimension issue, not a size issue.
There have always been restrictions on the dimensions of linked and uploaded images.
As far as I can remember, there has never been a restriction on the size of linked images.
Winston Mitchell
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Winston wrote:That was a dimension issue, not a size issue.
There have always been restrictions on the dimensions of linked and uploaded images.
As far as I can remember, there has never been a restriction on the size of linked images.

That's exactly what I said: "A dimension limitation issue not a size issue in your case".
But whatever you may remember about the limitations relating to size, I can personally testify to many times I had to downsize my photos to below or equal to 250 KB.

I hope this is settled and we can resume with the topic subject and proceed with the challenge.

Thanks.

Yildiz
paulmurphy
Grand Caliph

Unread post by paulmurphy »

Nice shot DA, here is one from my recent trip into Swaledale, its fairly green and is definitely a valley

Cheers

Paul
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Beautiful setting, so well captured Paul.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Paul, : )

Definitely gorgeous and an inspirational green valley classic.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz