Challenge#40:"So Green Is My Valley-2011"-Winner Chosen

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge #40:"So Green Is My Valley-2011"-ends June 19

Unread post by aster »

aster wrote:
Winston wrote:That was a dimension issue, not a size issue.
There have always been restrictions on the dimensions of linked and uploaded images.
As far as I can remember, there has never been a restriction on the size of linked images.

That's exactly what I said: "A dimension limitation issue not a size issue in your case".
But whatever you may remember about the limitations relating to size, I can personally testify to many times I had to downsize my photos to below or equal to 250 KB.
Hi,

Just to share what I experience when I try to upload photos bigger than 250 KiB to Free Style forum threads other than challenge threads, using the forum's Image-upload feature.

! Important: The challenge threads are completely exempted from any limitations of size to maintain quality.

In the "Give It Your Best Shot Forum" I get a warning as can be seen in the attachment. This warning always comes up when a file is even slightly bigger than 250 KB.

Apparently, the 250 KB limit does not apply to photos/images that are linked from an external website / gallery but applies to any photo that's uploaded directly by the PCA upload feature.

Yildiz

ps. I'll delete this message eventually. Merely posted this to enlighten a matter that probably was not a familiar issue for some members.

Here's what I got today, as I was trying to attach a 330 KB photo through the website's upload feature. Weather In Your Vicinity thread ...just a few minutes ago.
Maximum-250 KiB.jpg
(167.15 KiB) Downloaded 3010 times
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The size limit for files stored on this server is there to help keep us within limits and avoid high costs as the site grows/gets older.

David
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

a scottish valley, "Glencoe" and it's 40 shades of green

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Lovely shot, Gio67. : )

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Last two days! :D

At this rate I may have to call the existing entries 'The Two Grand Champs' already, since they are both such wonderful shots and announce the challenge's ending. : )

So, if you have anything .... you know what to do. :)

Yildiz
-----Nod-----
Heirophant

Unread post by -----Nod----- »

View from the Rock of Cashel, Ireland.

-----Nod-----
Heirophant

View from Powerscourt Estate, Ireland

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Lovely pictures of the valleys so far. I had many thoughts about this topic, but none came to fruition, so here are a couple from the archive.

Glen Slapin by Birm, on Flickr
On the Isle of Skye, during a brief visit in 2007. Soem early morning clouds over the Red Cuillins.
A100 + 18-70 kit lens.

Glen Achateny by Birm, on Flickr
Scotland again. Ardnamurchan this time, looking across the sea to the Isles of Eigg and Rum beyond.
Sony DSC-V1 (hope a non-alpha is allowed :oops: .)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

A parting shot - this was a snap from a recent trip investigating potential locations, but it is green, and a valley :D .

Teme Valley 2 by Birm, on Flickr
A beautiful valley in Worcestershire - very small roads, very big and expensive houses :shock: .
A700 + Tamron 60/2
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Great shots from Ireland, Scotland & one Teme Valley. Gio67, Nod & Birma
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

another in scotland

aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge #40:"So Green Is My Valley-2011"-In Voting Pro

Unread post by aster »

Time to vote! :D

Here's the link where you can find the Poll to select your most favourite of the submissions.

Poll-Challenge #40-So Green Is My Valley

Thank you all for the great entries! : )

Yildiz
-----Nod-----
Heirophant

When I try to submit my vote, it tells me that the choice is invalid. ???
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

alongusername4sure wrote:When I try to submit my vote, it tells me that the choice is invalid. ???
Hi Nod,

There seems to be two votes already cast in the poll. The other two voters probably had no problem. My modiration is limited in the forum premises, maybe admin David Kilpatrick knows the solution to your problem.

Thanks for notifying me on this. : )

Yildiz
-----Nod-----
Heirophant

Thanks for the quick response, I tried 2 times I wonder if those are my votes and they did take? Although it usually tells you that you've already voted and won't let you vote twice.