New forum

David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

New forum

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Following requests from members for Don to help with that elusive 'pop' he achieves in pix and others find lacking (they just get the snap and the crackle), I've created this forum with Don as mod.

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: New forum

Unread post by bakubo »

I'm glad to have this new forum. Just a bit of post-processing can make all the difference with DSLR images so it is an important skill for everyone to learn. Even if you shoot jpeg post-processing can transform your photos. The basics aren't difficult.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

First of all I think this is an excellent idea and I look forward to further discussion in this area, and learning some of the techniques.

Slightly off topic, but on the discussion of further forums and areas of interest, are we going to see a Non-alpha mount DSLR forum (or one especially for D5000s if Don gets one as well as David :D )? I realise that the overall site is about the alpha mount, but I think a lot of people shoot with other brands as well, and there is much discussion of all of the alternatives to the alpha line up already. For example, if Don had shot some awesome shots on his D5000 I would still like to see them and discuss them here.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Birma, don't forget that it's about post processing and art technique. So I don't think camera matters.
I'm sure this will be quite interesting and, of course, very important for too many of us, beginning with me.
So cheers to Don and wishing him patience and sturdy nerves. :mrgreen:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Following requests from members for Don to help with that elusive 'pop' he achieves in pix and others find lacking (they just get the snap and the crackle), I've created this forum with Don as mod.
Oh no! :(

Has this really been necessary? This sub-forum is completely superfluous, as it adds nothing to what we already have with 'Digital Workflow and PP.' And adding 'Sonolta' to the list of moderators automatically removes him from my Foes list so I am forced to see all his tattle again ...

-- Olaf
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

deleted, no longer relevent.
Last edited by Javelin on Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

I have to agree with Olaf. The post-processing of photographs can be handled under Digital Workflow and PP.

The subject of Art Techniques is something else again. I am very much into this sort of thing and I know that the average photographer does not consider this aspect of imaging as being "honestly" related to photography. I might be wrong, but I would expect that Don typifies this attitude.

Persons interested in the artsy side of photography are better advised to stick with DPR's Retouching Forum and similar niche groups. You will also find that digital manipulation of photographic images is well received in traditional generalist art circles.

regards - Peter
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I have changed the forum name, it was not intended for normal PP like noise reduction, but for special effects and image treatments. Don has done a lot of this in the past, not so much now as far as I know.

David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Did I ever mention the name "impressionist"?
Go, impressionist Don, go, go, go... :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Sonolta wrote: Image
Looks like a screen shot from the new movie "2012"
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Don has used global moderator permissions to remove posts and threads which disagreed - not 'hated' in his words - with some of his approaches to individual members, or to the balanced and friendly moderation of this site. I have therefore removed Don's global priveleges. I have not censored these forums, as owner, though I may have expressed opinions; I do not need to have anyone else censoring posts, or expressing derogatory opinions about ANYONE using this website.

All I ask of forum users is that they treat all others here as if they were friends - treat them as well as they would treat a member of their own family, or a co-worker, or a neighbour. That does not mean you can't debate, argue, express opinions, disagree etc. The last thing we need is a forum where everyone is so polite they never say what they mean. But we also do not need abuse, invective, anger, contempt, dismissal or any kind of personal attacks.

David