Watercolour Look

dewarp
Oligarch

Watercolour Look

Unread post by dewarp »

Since we seem to be under new management, I decided to submit one of my "watercolour" images.

regards - Peter
Attachments
Eastern Cape Scene.jpg
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Watercolour Look

Unread post by Javelin »

i really like that shot and the style. can you elaborate on how it was done? what did it look like beforehand?
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

It's beautiful! The rendering is very convincing, looks like a Vernon Nye!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

I like it has well and I second Javelin's request, please show before shot and "how it was done"
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

stevecim wrote:I like it has well and I second Javelin's request, please show before shot and "how it was done"
Thirded :D
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Agreed. That's a commercially viable result as far as local art shop, greeting card etc selling goes. Most digital effects are not, because the potential buyer just looks at the shot and dismisses it as a digital effect. This watercolour effect on a good art paper would look pretty convincing.

David
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ossie »

What a lovely image. I also would like to know how you have achieved the effect.

I have played around with the watercolour and water paper filters in CS3 and really like the effects you can achieve but have not even got close to what you have achieved. I hope you won't mind me posting a couple of my attempts (C & C appreciated). IMHO viewing the image on screen does not give the full impact of the effect. I have printed them on Permajet Artist paper and the texture of the paper adds enormously to the end result.

Have you printed your image and on what media?
Il_Velo_Verde.jpg
Lonely Gondolier.jpg
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

The “original photo” is actually a combination of three photos - the foreground, the central building/trees/mountains, and the dramatic sky. I attach a copy for information.

The watercolour look is achieved by through the use of Photoshop’s Art History Brush. For more information on my method see:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachm ... 1244438115

I get my printing done by a local print shop. The cheapies that I use for club nights are produced on a photocopier, which give me lots of colour consistency problems. For more serious jobs they use an Epson 7800 and non-gloss watercolour paper. I do not know the paper specification, but the results look fantastic.

Regards - Peter
Attachments
Eastern Cape Scene 0.jpg
dewarp
Oligarch

To DK

Unread post by dewarp »

Hi David

I would be obliged if you would delete my posts in this particular thread.

Thanking you - Peter
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I realise Don's flooding your thread with loads of completely irrelevant images unconnected with the original watercolour technique makes a mockery of the subject. I've already recieved two PM complaints about this, including one pointing out that the three image limit is there for a reason and just making multiple three image posts in order to bully other forum members and to try to drown their contributions in noise is NOT in the spirit of the forum.

However, if we delete your posts, all we are left with is Don's old repeats. Therefore I will delete Don's posts instead at this stage.

David
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

Well - its been 18 months now without any further activity in this Effects and Art Techniques Forum. So I thought that is about time that I add another image, to possibly pique the interest of the artsy photographers out there.

This is entitled "Last House on Main Street".

regards - Peter
Last House on Main Street.jpg
(175.61 KiB) Downloaded 5354 times
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Really does go all the way. Great effect. Would look good on the right art paper print out.

David
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

I agree, although I find the stringy treebranches a bit distracting, as if they didn't belong. Just my 2 cents.

Mark
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Wow Peter :shock: - what a great way to restart this thread! I really like that picture. I'm not sure I would have seen that as coming from a photograph at all. Can you share some at least of how you did it?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Birma wrote:Wow Peter :shock: - what a great way to restart this thread! I really like that picture. I'm not sure I would have seen that as coming from a photograph at all. Can you share some at least of how you did it?
I was going to ask the same thing.
Or is it +1 :roll:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr