Sony Microphone ECM-ALST1 working or not?

All the funky stuff which turns your 550 gramme DSLR into a 5 kilo bag...
alphaomega
Viceroy

Sony Microphone ECM-ALST1 working or not?

Unread post by alphaomega »

Made some video recordings last weekend using (and forgetting to use) my ECM-ALST1.
Barely any sound using the mic. but fine without. Changed the battery this morning and an indoor test of music indicated that the mic. was no better or worse than using the camera alone.
I noticed that switching on the mic. there was a brief flash of the orange light above. I noticed that before changing the battery as well.
Now, here is the question: Should the light be on permanently when the mic. is switched on or is it functioning properly by just giving away the initial single flash? Unfortunately I have lost the instructions. My question is predicated on the mic. not being any better than the "built in" mic. in the camera in my test. Why spend £100+ on a mic. if it is no better than the camera mic?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Sony Microphone ECM-ALST1 working or not?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Try that mic in a high sound level gig and you'll know the difference. The auto gain makes the onboard sound a little crisper, the mic is a little warmer, but the volume is the same until you get to 'clipping' levels - then, the bigger capsule of the mic performs better. The battery light should just flash as you switch on, it should not stay lit.

David
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: Sony Microphone ECM-ALST1 working or not?

Unread post by alphaomega »

Thanks for the clarification David. Sounds like my problem was limited to a battery failure caused by my forgetfulness - not switching off after use.