Video tripod not costing the earth. Any suggestions?

All the funky stuff which turns your 550 gramme DSLR into a 5 kilo bag...
alphaomega
Viceroy

Video tripod not costing the earth. Any suggestions?

Unread post by alphaomega »

I am beginning to get interested in doing some video and bought a cheap tripod with a fluid head. No good as not steady although had ball and socket movement.
Any suggestions to realise my impossible dream of a steady video tripod with a fluid head accepting Alpha/NEX screw not costing more than say £100 and not needing a crane for movement. Preferably only one adjustment for up/down and side to side movements (i.e. ball and socket rather than two separate levers). Must be able to purchase in UK.
As my request is probably impossible to fulfil I will accept the nearest approximation with thanks, but not into hundreds of pounds of costs. This is just for fun.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Video tripod not costing the earth. Any suggestions?

Unread post by artington »

You get what you pay for. The lower the price the poorer the stability. I fear that unless there is a deal on you will not be able to get a sensible combination for less than around £250-300. Forget £100 - you will only get junk at that price.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I agree you get what you pay for..to a point that is. I disagree you have to spend £250-£300 to get a "good" tripod
There is a world of difference between a ultra cheapo Hama Star for £10..and at the £100 odd mark. Or around there.

I'm just pulling out a few reasonable choices at or near that budget.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slik-504QF-Vide ... 9&sr=1-372

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VANGUARD-Alta-2 ... 2&sr=1-381

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Velbon-V20109-S ... 7&sr=1-453

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-MK294 ... 0&sr=1-464

Loads of models and makers worth looking at some of those esp the first one which has a video head.
I'd call a £10 tripod junk (but for someone it might do the job) but at 10x that you should be able to get something pretty good.
Pirate
Oligarch

Unread post by Pirate »

TBH, you can't go wrong with the RedSnapper range. If you want an affordable CF option, search for 'HorusBennu' on evilBay. You get what you pay for, and the RS range is excellent. You would pay a lot more for similar quality, so don't let the price fool you.

I have this combo. They were giving a discount to TalkPhotography members, so if you are one, ping them an email and check if they're still running the offer.
Headcell
Initiate

Unread post by Headcell »

In the local video club, we all used Velbon. Not that we recevied a group discount, or incestuously decided we must all have Velbons... independently, we came to the same conclusion that Velbon offered rigidity, sturdiness, fluidity of head movement, and portability at the best price point.

I purchased mine from eBay for about £30, an absolute bargain.

Slik also have a good reputation, but I've never used one, and I've not used anything other than a monopod from Manfrotto.

Stay away from cheap tripods like Hama - for video work they just don't give the fluid motion required for pans and tilts. For stills, they are adequate. My velbon is used for photographic work, too. Can't fault it.
bfitzgerald

Velbon do a budget range that includes a few models that are meant for video users. The CX range it's called in Europe quite a few models from smaller ones up to more meaty tripods. They are most def a cut above the Hama and ultra cheapie ones you find on ebay/amazon etc, they are not awesome but quite reasonable for the outlay.

On the other hand the Sherpa range is a step up in quality and really quite good for the asking price not dirt cheap, but really not expensive either. The few I used were good and likely to please most, budget for a bag if you need that (CX range includes it, sherpa I think it's an extra no big deal not a high cost)

Slik are quite good I have used a few tripods and I have a monopod from them.

Something like this looks decent enough for a modest outlay it's aimed at video shooters, can take quite a decent weight and has a fluid head too. I've not used one but I've been very pleased with Velbon with the tripods I've used and owned over the years.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... 3_WAY.html
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I bought a Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 carbon tripod from Adorama which pleases me much.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

I've had a Slik U212 that I've used since the late '80's or early 90's that I've been very happy with for stills, and I have also used for my old full size S-VHS recorder many many years ago. But it was just really shooting static scenes there - speakers at conferences - so I can't say how it would be for vids.

They do make video specific models.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Dr. Harout wrote:I bought a Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 carbon tripod from Adorama which pleases me much.
well, that is twice the price the OP want to pay... :-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Harout

pakodominguez wrote:
Dr. Harout wrote:I bought a Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 carbon tripod from Adorama which pleases me much.
well, that is twice the price the OP want to pay... :-)
Yes, but we're not that wealthy to buy cheap products :wink:

Flickr
Dr. Harout

BTW Pako, I just purchased section cup/spikes for the said tripod, again from Adorama. May I ask you why don't they ship to Armenia? In fact they don't ship to any other country but the US, but why?

Flickr
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Dr. Harout wrote:BTW Pako, I just purchased section cup/spikes for the said tripod, again from Adorama. May I ask you why don't they ship to Armenia? In fact they don't ship to any other country but the US, but why?
I believe Adorama do ship to many countries (probably not Armenia) and I know about issues with customs and returns -I've seen boxes full of equipment back in a poor state because some client refuse to pay custom taxes -all at Adorama's expenses, because insurance doesn't pay for everything.
Once I used AdoramaPix shipping department for sending personal documents to Peru (in order to avoid the line at the Post Office) it got stuck at the Peruvian customs for 5 weeks... at least it didn't get lost, right? Well, some customers just refuse to pay (and they get their money back from their credit card) and the items get back to NYC in poor conditions...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald

I picked up a Velbon PH-157Q head for not a lot on Amazon, pan/tilt affair and whilst I'm not into video much the head is surprisingly smooth in motion and well made.
I would say worth a punt for a low cost option (it's actually quite chunky/decent weight) just add the legs of your choice. I think it's the standard head that comes with the Sherpa range so might be worth a look at that range.

Nothing fancy mind no levels but cork top to the QR plate and smooths around nicely.