Release of Sony NEX5 and 3 cameras 11 May 2010

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: Release of Sony NEX5 and 3 cameras 11 May 2010

Unread post by alphaomega »

I am convinced that Sony will deliver this year the two Alpha DSLRs shown as mock-ups. They would not suffer the humiliation of not delivering as promised. I also believe they are committed in the longer term to the Alpha line of DSLRs. To what extent they will cater for semi pro and pro shooters is another matter. Notwithstanding the criticism from some, at least my Sony A350 and A700 are delivering the quality I require and I have just opened the box of my new A550 and within minutes it was up and running without me looking at the instruction book. I have "trained" myself up to using Aperture priority again as I did with my X700 cameras. I have convinced myself that A is better than P. I am now well equipped and can watch further Sony launches from the sidelines for the next couple of years. It would seem as if they will stay with the 14Mp size for APS-C and improvements will be directed towards VIDEO requirements. Actually, I am now convinced that 14Mp is probably optimal for APS-C unless you spend up to your last penny on lenses. With most lenses is a Canon 550D image better than a A550 image upsized to 18Mp using even PS Bicubic? I wonder.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

maybe sooner than you think theres pics of an A290 on DPR that look pretty autentic and looks like a completed camera not a mock up.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Javelin wrote:maybe sooner than you think theres pics of an A290 on DPR that look pretty autentic and looks like a completed camera not a mock up.

No it's a repackaged part deux ;-) Or should I say part "duh"! lol

It probably is authentic even right down to the minimal buttons as per previous models (no AEL, no flash raise empty top plate), the old 14mp CCD that was bashing around the warehouse in a few 100k quantities. But hey they did change the grip.

Gasp......
Simple Sony is really going to town. You can't put a worse than 2008 entry DSLR on the market and expect it blow people away. That's 2010 and 2011 written off for Sony bargain body wise. Unless a miracle has happened sensor wise it's in for an awful mangling from review sites.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I would have hoped the NEX3 and NEX5 would have eliminated any need for a camera like the a290.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

As some of us keep saying. It would be utterly insane for any maker to "not do entry DSLR"
NEX has nothing at all to do with reflex models nor the system. Nor are Sony pushing it as a "DSLR replacement"

Why can't folks grasp the fact that a small compact with a lens change isn't a DSLR? That users have different needs and desires...and a NEX is never going to have a system anywhere near as deep as an SLR one.

As it stands there is nothing new with this entry Sony..just looks like old tech in a yet again slightly re-styled body. In this respect Sony might as well call it a day as they are not even trying.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:
It probably is authentic even right down to the minimal buttons as per previous models (no AEL, no flash raise empty top plate), the old 14mp CCD that was bashing around the warehouse in a few 100k quantities. But hey they did change the grip.
Maybe it is the wrong sensor for such a camera A290 focused at the "bottom end" of the DSLR market but I have the A350 with the same sensor and as long as you stay away from higher ISOs this sensor is fabulous. I must confess I shoot raw but even taking Jpeg, with the right settings, it is great. Maybe too complicated for "beginners" though. Let's have a go at bashing the thing before it is even released and just a rumour.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

DK is a huge fan of the 14mp CCD. and a lot of people that shoot landscapes are very plesed with what they get from it. I'm sure this will be a competent camera for the people it;s intended for. I'm also glad my lady friend got her A230 because she really didn't like the size of my A200 and A700 so she got hers just in the right nick of time it was available looks like.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I think I was referring to the "stripped of all controls" aspect more than anything.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --