Theoretical NEX lens adaptors Question

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

Theoretical NEX lens adaptors Question

Unread post by deathvalleydave »

Hi David,

If I got a NEX camera, with a main selling point being that I can use adapters to use lots of different camera brand lenses - which NEX camera would you recommend from a general overall standpoint between the NEX 5N and NEX 7? Would the 16mp sensor be a better catch all sensor vs. the 24mp sensor, if you're going to use different camera brand's lenses, and not just the Sony NEX lenses for it?

Thanks
David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Theoretical NEX lens adaptors Question

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I suppose it's a bit early to make such conclusion. But, as you say, theoretically speaking NEX-7 would be my choice for top lenses. Charlie Webster, as you may have noticed, uses very fine top of the line lenses from different brands on his NEX-5. Picture quality wise all his shots stand out.
On the other hand NEX-5n would do the same job brilliantly.
But if regular lenses should be used then NEX-5n is the winner.
This is my opinion and I could be wrong. :?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Hi, I'm not David, but I think I can supply some useful form of an answer.

One of the big things that you pay for in the long price gap between the NEX-5N and the NEX-7 is not the sensor but the two extra top-plate control wheels. Will you need all that control on the body if your lenses are operating manually? The wheels can be reassigned to many different functions, so Sony made sure that they wouldn't be so easily dismissed by the user wishing to adapt manual lenses.

Since you can get an accessory OLED-EVF for the NEX-5N (that tilts!) for almost half the difference in the cost between these two cameras, I don't consider that feature of the NEX-7 to be one of it's big selling points. Likewise, I'm not terribly impressed by the sensor--not because the 24.3 MP sensor is bad, but because the 16.1 MP sensor is so good. Is the extra resolution worth $600? You decide, but unlike with the SLT cameras, that $600+ leap from the 5 to the 7 series doesn't get you a faster shutter or sync speed, and the 5N's body is already magnesium alloy.

Also, in case you're interested in video, the NEX-5N records it with 100% of its sensor width--not so with the NEX-7 (only about 85%).
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

I have a NEX-5 and have been very pleased with the results but hate the LCD and also have found the camera to be too small. It is all too easy to nudge the rear control wheel and I have lost count of the number of times I have accidentally reduced the exposure by 2 stops. Now my understanding is that the NEX-5n is the same size as the NEX-5 and the NEX-7 is bigger. DP Revew do an overlay which illustrates this well. So, despite the relatively small additional cost (assuming you buy the accessory EVF for the 5n) and also possibly having an over-kill sensor with 24mp, I will go for the NEX-7 on grounds of ergonomics.....once the price comes down. Which may mean waiting 6 months.