Nex camera able to be full frame in the future ?

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: Nex camera able to be full frame in the future ?

Unread post by alphaomega »

You have made my day pakodominguez. Did not think of that in my haste. Of course, the NEX will be able to use my Tamron 10-24 with the adapter in manual focus mode only. That is not a problem at all as I would 99.99% of the time use the W/A at infinity. Used for landscape and architecture. Thanks for the comment.
A NEX5 spec has been published on sonyalpharumors.com but I note that doubt has already been cast on parts of it by a blogger on DPR. Best to wait until 11/5 and no doubt DK will quickly keep us right about what is good, bad and indifferent. Given portable good image quality lenses covering unbroken from (35mm equivalent) about 18 to 300mm in say two lenses such as 11-18mm (Tamron/Sony downsized) and 18-200mm (again Tamron/Sony downsized) and I will be a potential buyer at some stage. My Tamron 10-24 would do to start with for W/A.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

What I only need on my side, is the ability to do film in manual mode with my old 58mm 1.2 , and also the 50mm 1.2, and the 135mm 2.0 (and all the other Macro and zoom of AF series).

I was not there a lot on the forum since a few weeks because of the baby project (basement finishing, room for the baby upstaire ect. :-) ).

So, my new baby is now born hiccup! :-) friday May 7th at 9h50 after a 41 Olympic hours job non stop of my girlfriend. A little boy names Evan.

So I'm at home only to purge the to 8gigs cards of the A900 :-) and the 12 gigs of the Samsung HMX-H100.

The Samsung is a good camera (refurbish 195$ CAN on ebay), but, I'm still searching for more deep of field and low ISO performance.

Bring some good old Minolta AF prime lenses too David, in case they already has with them the mysterious Alpha mount adapter for the camera.

I will post some picture of my boy on next thread by the end of this week.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Congratulations Frank! :D

Happy to hear that all went well and your baby and the mother are doing excellent.

Wishing Evan a healthy and fortunate long life with his parents and loved ones.

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Congratulations from me as well. Frank - glad to know that all three of you are well.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Congratulations once again Frank. Waiting for his pictures. :D
Just think of it, he will grow up and say some day that his pa took his first pictures with an A900, with all the EXIF data embedded. :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Congratulations Frank.

Good to hear all went well, it will be nice
to see the photos you have taken.

Here's an oldie that might make you smile. ;^)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yTsJ5KWUxs
InTheSky
Viceroy

Very good video :-), I think that this is almost what my friends was expecting of my baby to do too :-).

I will probably not wait too long to put a camera in his hands :-). My father did the same for my when I was young letting me playing with the VHS big monster video camera at about 6 years old (and the Radio Shack Tandy TRS-80 at 4 years old).

My photographic background come from Video first ... , this is why I waiting to play with a Nex camera :-)

Regards,

Frank
Frank
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Congrats from me as well Frank, you'll have to post a photo of the little fella.. :)
Greg
InTheSky
Viceroy

Greg Beetham wrote:Congrats from me as well Frank, you'll have to post a photo of the little fella.. :)
Greg
Voila! :-)

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =21&t=4036
Frank
Yagil Henkin
Heirophant

Unread post by Yagil Henkin »

For me the NEX have been kind of a let down. I believed it would have IS, and thought it would have AF adapter for Alpha mount. At the moment, the Nex 3 and 5 leave me wanting for several reasons.
1. No IS. This is a biggy. I love my Sigma 10-20, and sometimes use it handheld on my A700 with sharp results at 1/4 of a second. I can manage without AF on the sigma, but IS is really important to me - and of course, using longer lens emphasizes it.
2. No AF Adapter. most of my lenses are screw-mount, so in any case I can't at the moment hope for any AF on the Nex. That is, no swapping 16-80 or 18-250 for me, and Can't use the NEX as a backup body for my A700.
3. Accessories not compatible.
4. No 1080P. Actually, that's not a problem for me, as I never shoot video, but the family memeber who does REALLY wants 1080p.
5. No NR Off. Say, am I feeling a Deja Vu? Sony should've learned from the A700 firmware debacle.

Still, as a dedicated hiking camera, it may serve well; under 3 pounds with card, battery, adapter, 10-20 lens and 18-200 looks not too bad, especially as it runs circles around anything in its class, quality-wise, especially if you'll shoot RAW. But at the moment, for me its usability is quite limited. Hope the NEX7 would add some of the above future and make it all worthwhile for me.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Yagil wrote: 4. No 1080P. Actually, that's not a problem for me, as I never shoot video, but the family memeber who does REALLY wants 1080p.
NEX5 has 1080p, NEX3 has 720p
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yagil wrote: 1. No IS. This is a biggy. I love my Sigma 10-20, and sometimes use it handheld on my A700 with sharp results at 1/4 of a second. I can manage without AF on the sigma, but IS is really important to me - and of course, using longer lens emphasizes it.
2. No AF Adapter. most of my lenses are screw-mount, so in any case I can't at the moment hope for any AF on the Nex. That is, no swapping 16-80 or 18-250 for me, and Can't use the NEX as a backup body for my A700.
Yes, these are the 2 big things for me too, with the no SSS being the most important. Maybe the NEX 7 will have it.
Last edited by bakubo on Mon May 17, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InTheSky
Viceroy

No NEX camera can do 1080P, please :-)

I have seen too many wrong post on the internet, telling that the Nex5, is doing 1080P. The camera is only doing 1080i (like my small Samsung camera), Only for this reason I will stay with my Camcorder camera for the moment.

Probably, Sony will do the 1080p on the replacement of the A700, and the Nex7.

When you have touch one time to 1080p, it is difficult to come back (same as 24mp...).

So, Keep in mind that the Sony Nex5, is 1080i, and not 1080p. This is a huge difference with subject or landscape in movement. More terrible if you are shaking too much with you camera.

I have also found that the Nex Camera has a little bit too much of the CMOS effect when panning the image. Probably this will be fix on firmware update or next version.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: No NEX camera can do 1080P, please :-)

Unread post by bakubo »

InTheSky wrote:I have seen too many wrong post on the internet, telling that the Nex5, is doing 1080P. The camera is only doing 1080i (like my small Samsung camera), Only for this reason I will stay with my Camcorder camera for the moment.

Probably, Sony will do the 1080p on the replacement of the A700, and the Nex7.

When you have touch one time to 1080p, it is difficult to come back (same as 24mp...).

So, Keep in mind that the Sony Nex5, is 1080i, and not 1080p. This is a huge difference with subject or landscape in movement. More terrible if you are shaking too much with you camera.
David posted today about what he thought the A7xx would be like. He specifically mentioned 1080i, not 1080p.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

1080i involves a transfer rate of 17Mbps according to Sony. That is already pushing the buffer limits and speeds of cards - MS Duo Pro, as provided for tests, handles it OK. But many SD Cards won't handle 17Mbps. Sony is unlikely to waver from 1080/50i in favour of 1080/25p, as the data stream is maybe better controlled and more easily buffered. This camera will shoot 29 minutes of 1080/50i. Not even a Canon 5D MkII can do that, it's got a clip length limit around 11 minutes. I don't see Sony sacrificing this unique point and excellent card compatiblity in the A7xx.

Canon have attempted 1080p in the 550D - it simply doesn't work with many perfectly respectable SD cards, and you have to buy Class 10 or cards claiming up to 30Mbps.

Also, following points: NEX-5 comes in PAL and NTSC versions hard programmed for frame rate. 50i only for Europe, also for MP4 non-HD shooting, only 25fps. NEX-3 is limited to 29.97fps MP4 720p for both regions.

David