Tilt and Shift... with the NEX system

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
InTheSky
Viceroy

Tilt and Shift... with the NEX system

Unread post by InTheSky »

By having created a system with this distance from the sensor and the lens, I hope a someone genious can take the alpha mount adapter, extract the aperture system and make any lenses from Sony Aplha mount the possibility to tilt and shift.

Or ... for the moment, any good Manual focus lens will be ok, with a rubber adapter and a E-Mount Confirm focus (if this is possible to create).

No need, I think for this system to get Big Medium format lens to do this now :-).

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Tilt and Shift... with the NEX system

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I had been thinking about that myself. It's definitely possible, there is over one inch/25mm of free space. It should be possible to make a tilt-shift adaptor for M42 thread, Nikon, or Minolta MD lenses most easily. There will be problems trying to make one for Alpha mount, as operating the aperture would require a bulky mechanism. That's the only bad thing - it's not likely to be made for Alpha mount, only for third party mounts with manual aperture setting.

David
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

David, do you think it's time for Sony to add a few more pins to the A-mount and switch to using an electronic aperture?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

And call it the Vectis mount ? :-)

I think any attempt to switch to an electronic aperture would mean using a hybrid mount, retaining the physical lever but having this control an electronic adjustment - and work with all older cameras. New cameras without a physical lever would only work with electronic aperture lenses (like Nikon G basically), making legacy lenses incompatible. Sony might like that scenario.

David
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I must confess I like this idea. I might even purchase a NEX if it were possible to also purchase an adapter that would allow for the fitting of any lens with Alpha mount and tilt and shift through the adapter. Fancy being able to fit say a Tamron 10-24mm W/A zoom and T/S or just purchase prime W/A lenses and have a series of prime T/S lenses and that one magical adapter. I would not worry about AF and manual setting of aperture would equally be acceptable for T/S as such photography would be based on tripod use.

All I can say is "Bring it on".
InTheSky
Viceroy

Et voila :-)

Unread post by InTheSky »

Following news on the Alpha rumors web site ... there is chance to have tilt and shift very not expensive for the NEX Mount :

TILT NIKON-NEX
TILT M42-NEX
TILT CONTAX/YASHICA-NEX
TILT L/R-NEX

I'm still waiting on my side to get one ... I need an adapter to make my sony flashes working with the camera.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Elysium0o
Acolyte

Unread post by Elysium0o »

I am in the same boat. In theory even the lensbaby systems could be adapted to work.

Currently, im on phase one of a custom mount. Ill keep you posted on how I get on.
dvincent
Acolyte

Unread post by dvincent »

David Kilpatrick wrote:And call it the Vectis mount ? :-)

I think any attempt to switch to an electronic aperture would mean using a hybrid mount, retaining the physical lever but having this control an electronic adjustment - and work with all older cameras. New cameras without a physical lever would only work with electronic aperture lenses (like Nikon G basically), making legacy lenses incompatible. Sony might like that scenario.

David
David,

NIkon G lenses still have the aperture lever. G lenses being "electronically controlled" is only for comms purposes, they do not have any kind of aperture pusher motor inside them. G simply means all it uses is the aperture lever and there is no aperture ring at all, and is only compatible with cameras that have electronic communications (AF cameras). Since the old bodies relied on the mechanical indexing, the G lens is worthless on those cameras even though it may have the aperture pusher. The aperture pushing itself isn't electronic; only the min/max info reporting is. It is essentially just like our Alpha mount in that regard.

If you look at the back of the 35 f/1.8 DX or the 70-200 VR, you'll see the aperture lever still there.

http://a.img-dpreview.com/lensreviews/n ... ndview.jpg

Given that A-mount already has a serial communications protocol, I wouldn't be surprised if electronic aperture control is a possibility that is simply not implemented (or, rather, is hidden) in today's cameras and lenses. I know you've got a D5000, try pushing the lever with a pen or flat blade screwdriver on your lenses to see that the aperture will open right up.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I should have said Canon EF or 4/3rds (but 4/3rds is no use for TS), I realise Nikon G has an actuator. That's interesting in one other way, it might be possible for a third party to modify the E-to-A adaptor which has an actuator motor, to produce a Nikon adaptor with the same.

David
dvincent
Acolyte

Unread post by dvincent »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I should have said Canon EF or 4/3rds (but 4/3rds is no use for TS), I realise Nikon G has an actuator. That's interesting in one other way, it might be possible for a third party to modify the E-to-A adaptor which has an actuator motor, to produce a Nikon adaptor with the same.

David
This could be possible with any lenses that have aperture pushers. Sounds expensive, though.
youpii
Heirophant

Unread post by youpii »

David Kilpatrick wrote:And call it the Vectis mount ? :-)
David
A Vectis adapter would be fun. Does anyone know the difference between the V-mount and the E-mount?
Kenneth Sky
Acolyte

Unread post by Kenneth Sky »

The V mount is smaller with 9 pins. I've got a complete set of Vectis lenses. If ever they make an adapter........
BrianSmith
Initiate

Unread post by BrianSmith »

Elysium0o wrote:I am in the same boat. In theory even the lensbaby systems could be adapted to work.
Nothing theoretical about it. Here it is:

Sony alpha mount Lensbaby + Sony alpha-NEX mount Adapter

BrianSmith
Initiate

Unread post by BrianSmith »

alphaomega wrote:I must confess I like this idea. I might even purchase a NEX if it were possible to also purchase an adapter that would allow for the fitting of any lens with Alpha mount and tilt and shift through the adapter. Fancy being able to fit say a Tamron 10-24mm W/A zoom and T/S or just purchase prime W/A lenses and have a series of prime T/S lenses and that one magical adapter. I would not worry about AF and manual setting of aperture would equally be acceptable for T/S as such photography would be based on tripod use.
It probably won't be long. Someone will eventually make something like this adapter from Zork for e-mount.

Though for coverage with T/S, I'd suggest fullframe lenses instead of DX.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Good to see you here Brian. I have the Lensbaby 3G which managed to fall apart during messing around on the NEX-5., now reassembled but the 'movement' rods are not very secure! I was studying it to see whether the optical unit could be replaced by a superior quality 'normal' lens rather than one with deliberate aberrations. Mine seems to be about 52mm focal length. If the mount could go directly on a NEX body,a lens around 30-35mm focal length could be fitted.

Despite the existence of RF bodies with about 25-28mm depth, no company has ever made something like a shift adaptor from 35mm SLR lens to RF body, otherwise there might have been something to go between a Leica M adaptor and a Nikon/Canon/Minolta etc lens.

David