I tried a NEX and I liked it

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
marktuma
Initiate

I tried a NEX and I liked it

Unread post by marktuma »

After seeing all the squit on DPReview about the NEX, and particularly about the interface, I popped into Jessops yesterday to have some hands-on time with one. I have to say I was impressed, and according to the sales person they had sold a number of the systems the previous day (a Tuesday, so not a massive shopping day).

Impressions:
* It's tiny. The reviews and pictures on the web don't do justice to just how compact the system is. I tried a NEX5 with the 18-55 lens and it is seriously mini, but not in a bad way.
* It feels solid. Body and lens both felt like well constructed items. I'd say the lens actually feels more solid than my CZ16-80 - less slop in the movements certainly.
* Quiet (maybe even silent) focus. I didn't twig this at the time, only later did I realise I couldn't hear the lens focussing.
* Quality output. I took a pic with a high end Sony compact, the NEX was tonnes better.
* Interface is fine. Yes, there are not as many buttons as my A700, but I honestly think once I'd got used to the NEX way it would be great for 95% of what I'd do with it, the other 5% requiring a little menu-diving maybe.

All in all, I'm pleased and pleasantly surprised by what Sony has brought here.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: I tried a NEX and I liked it

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

marktuma wrote:After seeing all the squit on DPReview about the NEX, and particularly about the interface, I popped into Jessops yesterday to have some hands-on time with one. I have to say I was impressed, and according to the sales person they had sold a number of the systems the previous day (a Tuesday, so not a massive shopping day).

Impressions:
* It's tiny. The reviews and pictures on the web don't do justice to just how compact the system is. I tried a NEX5 with the 18-55 lens and it is seriously mini, but not in a bad way.
* It feels solid. Body and lens both felt like well constructed items. I'd say the lens actually feels more solid than my CZ16-80 - less slop in the movements certainly.
* Quiet (maybe even silent) focus. I didn't twig this at the time, only later did I realise I couldn't hear the lens focussing.
* Quality output. I took a pic with a high end Sony compact, the NEX was tonnes better.
* Interface is fine. Yes, there are not as many buttons as my A700, but I honestly think once I'd got used to the NEX way it would be great for 95% of what I'd do with it, the other 5% requiring a little menu-diving maybe.

All in all, I'm pleased and pleasantly surprised by what Sony has brought here.
Just try to type this on dpreview and wait for a "one way ticket to exile" :lol:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
WyldRage
Acolyte

Unread post by WyldRage »

Great to know. I've been interested in the NEX-5 since day one, to replace my P&S (a Fuji F31fd). I must admit the UI gave me pause at first, especially the critics aimed at it, but then I realised it's what I'm used to: a wheel controlled graphical menu instead of the dozen+ buttons and dials of a DSLR. I just have to try it now.

This camera was made for the iPod generation, and I think the sales will show they chose the right path.

And I must congratulate Sony for putting their top of the line (APS-C) sensor in it, unlike Panasonic's GF-1.
Danjojo_Resurrected1
Initiate

Unread post by Danjojo_Resurrected1 »

dpreview was determined to tear down the camera, UI was just the easiest target to exaggerate and exploit. They were grasping for straws in finding things not to like...glad you found out for your self.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Hello,

I Spoke with the friendly and very knowledgeable John "Alpha" at the SonyStore in Manhattan and he told me that he has a Working NEX5 and that I was welcome to play with at the store. So I went today after work.

After all the criticism about the graphic interface, I was impress that I didn't get disappointed or whatsoever. The 4 clicks that took me changing ISO didn't seamed eternal. I played with settings briefly and nothing rang specially attention. I changed lenses few times and the start-up time wasn't that slow either. Brief: all that you read about it at the DPR review... well: let's say that their cons aren't that bad in (my) real life.

One thing I was curious about was the defocus control function: the lens' blades open and close in real time (with E lenses, alas they didn't have the E to A adapter), same thing in A mode -I didn't try it in M mode. Even with the lens close, AF was fast and reliable.

I was thinking about buying the NEX5 in black with the 16mm, but after seen the black body, I think I'll wait to see how the silver body looks like before decide. The only thing I didn't like that much is the weight of the body: too light!

Going back to the interface, before trying the camera I was thinking that Sony can prepare a firmware upgrade and allow users to switch from the NEX interface to a Alpha/quick-nav-like approach, something that is probably not that hard to do if the OS in both systems are the same. After playing with the NEX, I think I prefer other improvements, like wireless flash and a hotshoe accessory that replace the supplied flash; and more controls for video.

I hope Adorama will get the NEX5 in a couple of weeks!

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twm47099
Oligarch

Unread post by twm47099 »

Danjojo_Resurrected1 wrote:dpreview was determined to tear down the camera, UI was just the easiest target to exaggerate and exploit. They were grasping for straws in finding things not to like...glad you found out for your self.
Sorry, I don't buy that. If I want glowing reviews and thickly veiled criticism, I'll read reviews in the American photo magazines (never saw an advertiser's product they didn't like).

I had three objections to the dpreview review:
1. I hate their numerical ratings (they look like school grades but don't mean the same, and I feel a single number is meaningless, because everyone has different weightings to the features/shortcomings). I also never liked their various shades of recommended for similar reasons.

2. The "wait until the next model" summary was out of line and should only be used for something that either doesn't work or is a safety hazard. Subjective findings should never lead to that recommendation without a lot of qualifiers.

3. Sony said the target was 90% P&S upgrader, 10% DSLR user wanting a smaller camera. DPR should have said up front that they were reviewing it as a high quality P&S and done so. Then the only criticisms that made sense are the overexposure w/o compensation in auto, and the choice of a 16mm as the only pocketable lens (even that should have been explained better as why its not appropriate for portraits rather than the snappy remark they made).

I feel that the dpr conclusions (good points and bad) are supported by the review. While not all people have same weighting on the pluses and minuses, I want a reviewer to point them out so I can determine which are important to me, which have no meaning for me, which are key reasons for me to buy the camera, and which I am willing to work around. I remember their complaint about the strap lug on all the Minolta KM products, but it wasn't an issue to me so it didn't affect my purchase. I hate reviews that lead me to believe that everything is beautiful until I have bought the item and discover the shortcomings for myself. I've given away too many cameras that annoyed me.

tom
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I agree, it's not what reviewers say a lot of the time, it's what they don't say, either through ineptitude or some other more commercial reason...also what is really aggrevating is a similar thing in manufacturers web site presentations, take a look at the description of the e-mount adaptor here http://www.sony.com.au/product/la-ea1 see if you can spot anything misleading.
I think anyone reading that would form the impression that you could put your A-mount lens on the NEX camera via the adaptor and use it as normal, with full functionality, when that is not the case at all.
Greg
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

twm47099 wrote: Sorry, I don't buy that. If I want glowing reviews and thickly veiled criticism, I'll read reviews in the American photo magazines (never saw an advertiser's product they didn't like).
Hi Tom

Reviewers, other than DPR, don't use to post reviews of products they don't like. Ask DK for his review of the Tamron 70-200 f2.8: you will never get it -He got it on Canon mount and the SAM-like motor on that and Nikon versions give really disappointing results, the A-mount version is screwdrivered and "as fast" and accurate as the beercan.

Did you read Engadget's review? http://www.engadget.com/photos/sony-nex ... 5/#3088459 they "tried" the camera for about 20 minutes during a party and like the camera, they were open to the interface but didn't like the IQ -please: show me a method for test IQ in 20 minutes!
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twm47099
Oligarch

Unread post by twm47099 »

pakodominguez wrote:
twm47099 wrote: Sorry, I don't buy that. If I want glowing reviews and thickly veiled criticism, I'll read reviews in the American photo magazines (never saw an advertiser's product they didn't like).
Hi Tom

Reviewers, other than DPR, don't use to post reviews of products they don't like. Ask DK for his review of the Tamron 70-200 f2.8: you will never get it -He got it on Canon mount and the SAM-like motor on that and Nikon versions give really disappointing results, the A-mount version is screwdrivered and "as fast" and accurate as the beercan.

Did you read Engadget's review? http://www.engadget.com/photos/sony-nex ... 5/#3088459 they "tried" the camera for about 20 minutes during a party and like the camera, they were open to the interface but didn't like the IQ -please: show me a method for test IQ in 20 minutes!
I have read that reason (if its not good we won't review it) in some magazine editorials, and I don't have much of a problem with it. The reviews in the US magazines I don't like are the ones that point out all the good points (grip feels nice and the body color is pleasing) but ignore the negatives (auto focus works best when turned off and you get very artistic effects when the camera is set to auto exposure).

I also dislike some of the older issues of British magazines, where they did comparisons between similar models (Maxxum 7 and lower priced Canikons). The words in the text showed the 7 to be better in all categories (except the UI was confusing?? and the 7 didn't have scene modes). Then the camera came in last in the summary because it was more expensive?? It seemed the reviewer and editor of the mag was a true Canon fan and nothing else could come close.

You comment about UI being compared after only 20 minutes is also unfortunately typical of some reviews.

Tom
Danjojo_Resurrected1
Initiate

I could write out 10 pages explaining my post in more detail but it would be a waste of all our time to read it. DPR wrote a careless review that was designed to throw a negative light on the Sony aNEX cameras...there is no way around it. If it was indeed a Canon or a Nikon, it would be promoted as the Holy Grail of little cameras.

They provided nothing informative to the community of photographers/camera users that was not already available a month prior to the review...besides an extra heavy negative slant.

Their insistence on difficulty using the scroll wheel and telling us how many button presses it takes to change certain settings is one example. Most people have no difficulty with it and making the changes the DPR agonized with take all of 5 seconds at the most. You would have to be a complete fool to see a photo of this thing or see it in a store and not realize there were some compromises made as far as buttons, dials, and needing to use the menu. It is not a big deal for majority of people, especially people in the projected market for this camera.

There is just no way around their putting minor cons/faults on a pedestal and bunching them together to give the "strongly advise waiting for the next generation of products." The size, image quality, video ability, screen quality, special modes, etc. are the selling points and there is nothing wrong with them at all. To focus on other minor points is intentionally misleading, and their blown up proportion is ridiculous.

It is no wonder when I posted as Danjojo and put some huge, well-detailed posts on there showing how many of the criticisms also apply to entry level DSLRs, how their timings were off, and much more - they all of a sudden stopped posting and hid from it....until they banned me and then made jokes about how they are part of a conspiracy. Many of the posts showing false information in the review were deleted and there were a couple more revisions to the review than the one they posted about in the news section.

It's being too generous towards them to think they just made a few honest mistakes.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Danjojo_Resurrected1 wrote:I could write out 10 pages explaining my post in more detail but it would be a waste of all our time to read it. DPR wrote a careless review that was designed to throw a negative light on the Sony aNEX cameras...there is no way around it. If it was indeed a Canon or a Nikon, it would be promoted as the Holy Grail of little cameras.
Hi Mike,

We'll make a huge mistake thinking that NEX IS the holy grail... it is just the first answer from Sony to this niche and we have to wait for other makers to show up with their EVILs (I read somewhere that Pentax will do M4/3 too, just a rumor of course...)
Danjojo_Resurrected1 wrote: There is just no way around their putting minor cons/faults on a pedestal and bunching them together to give the "strongly advise waiting for the next generation of products." The size, image quality, video ability, screen quality, special modes, etc. are the selling points and there is nothing wrong with them at all. To focus on other minor points is intentionally misleading, and their blown up proportion is ridiculous.
You know that they (DPR or anybody else) have only the importance that YOU (you, me and anybody else...) give them.
There are better communities than DPR, less snob "Guides" than their staff. And people around with whom you can share. I promise you, let go DPR and you'll have more and better time in your life -specially time for photography!

Regards
Pako
------------
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

twm47099 wrote:....

Sorry, I don't buy that. If I want glowing reviews and thickly veiled criticism, I'll read reviews in the American photo magazines (never saw an advertiser's product they didn't like).
Those darn Americans!
I feel that the dpr conclusions (good points and bad) are supported by the review. While not all people have same weighting on the pluses and minuses, I want a reviewer to point them out so I can determine which are important to me,
tom
I agree that part of reading reviews is knowing what the author's preferences are. Either they are up-front about it, or you are left to figure it out on your own. After reading many DPR Sony reviews over the years, there seems to be a trend of them not liking them as much as some other brands. (Is that merely an impression?) So, either 1) there are indeed problems with Sony cameras and maybe we should have bought something else or, 2) some of their preferences don't line up with ours. Of course, reading the subjective part, we should be able to, as you say, determine if those items line up with our interests or needs.

Check out this British magazine/review site. They put the Nex-5 above all others in their class.

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipm ... meras.html

Sonyalpharumors.com also has a link to their YouTube video.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I havn't tried the NEX 3 or 5. I believe these are good introductions by Sony and will find buyers. I know from using my Panasonic LX2 and 3 that I will consider buying a NEX when one comes out with a decent either inbuilt or attachable EVF that shows what you can see on the rear screem. For my type of outdoor photography I will not spend a penny or dime more on any camera without either OVF or quality EVF availability. End of story.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Happened to pass a Jessops today and they had the NEX5 with 18-55 lens on display. Neat package and compact enough for my use. Could replace my Panasonic LX2 & 3 at some stage when Sony see fit to provide a decent EVF or upgraded model with inbuilt EVF. I am sure I could quickly learn how to use the menus and settings. So, question to Sony: Where is the EVF?
Danjojo_Resurrected1
Initiate

I think you might do ok even without the EVF, I did an experiment the other day that I shared with some others but never posted on here.

Any camera I could find around the house that uses LCD/liveview, from compacts to SLRs to Panasonic camcorder...I took them out at around noon and 3pm purposefully trying to make it hard on my self with the worse angles-I had no problem composing shots with the notorious very bright San Diego sun. Completely usable until I had the sun "looking over my shoulder" and then i just put my head in the way....

I never did this before with intentionally trying to put glare on the screen, but had to give it a try because I see many people saying they "need" an OVF/EVF with bright sun....just don't see it being a real issue unless they have completely filthy screens or some type of hyper-sensitivity to the glare.

Was just fine even with the worse $100 p&s compact from 5 years ago. Only problem I had was with a Nokia 5800 cell phone that is horrible in the sun.

Of course at the worse times and the worse angles an OVF/EVF will always be better but at least for me I've never had a time when I couldn't still compose.

Especially with the tilt LCD, I wouldn't bother with an add-on EVF unless it was USD 100 or less, and that is if I plan to do more shooting on and around the ocean. It would still remain off the camera 99% of the time.