Got me a Nex toy...

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
agorabasta
Viceroy

Re: Got me a Nex toy...

Unread post by agorabasta »

Phaelix_Photoclub wrote:Do you plan to return/exchange the faulty unit?
If the FW update is really that close as you hint, I may first try that. I've got one more week to return the faulty product to the seller for immediate replacement/refund, after that period that would be a warranty repair/replacement procedure only. And I'd hate to lose my time over the warranty repair.

This particular faulty kit I've got may really be of special interest since the HW/FW design fault is not the only possible reason for its malfunction; another possible reason could be that some faulty electronic parts got their way into certain batches of both the bodies and flashes (all made in Thailand), and then their supplier really deserves chasing down.

So if this case is of any specific interest to Sony people, they'd better contact me ASAP (PM with this forum is possible) while I haven't returned it and there's no FW update to tempt me trying it out first. I'm currently in Moscow, Russia, will stay here for a fortnight at least.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

A returned camera would find its way back to Sony, rest assured. I'm not sure why anyone would hang onto a faulty camera when they had straight-forward options like that. I doubt very highly that you'll get (further) special attention from Sony should you decided to keep the kit.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
agorabasta
Viceroy

KevinBarrett wrote:A returned camera would find its way back to Sony, rest assured. I'm not sure why anyone would hang onto a faulty camera when they had straight-forward options like that. I doubt very highly that you'll get (further) special attention from Sony should you decided to keep the kit.
Basically, I don't care. In the next few days I'm going to be too lazy to make any move. And sure I will exchange the cam, eventually. And sure you read too much into my message :)
OneGuyKs

EVF?

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

Phaelix_Photoclub ,

the question that I have is that with the current design (electronics) is it even possible for Sony to build an external EVF that mounts the hotshoe ?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

We all asked that question at the press launch in Europe. The worried faces on some of the Japanese execs indicated that this was not necessarily included in the connector as it stands. They said no, but went into a huddle to discuss first.

David
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

David Kilpatrick wrote:We all asked that question at the press launch in Europe. The worried faces on some of the Japanese execs indicated that this was not necessarily included in the connector as it stands. They said no, but went into a huddle to discuss first.
Doh! Way to keep up with the competition! :wink: I guess I just have an image of all of these smart people figuring out features for the new camera line and deciding that noone would want an EVF! :wink: Ah well, maybe in a future-version. Until then, I'm actually surprised that an OVF is an available option.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:We all asked that question at the press launch in Europe. The worried faces on some of the Japanese execs indicated that this was not necessarily included in the connector as it stands. They said no, but went into a huddle to discuss first.
I guess we will see what Sony does, but this along with the reports of firmware bugs just confirms what I was thinking: they rushed NEX out. Of course, only my opinion, but the concept, design, etc. just seem to be not very well thought out. And, yes, I know some people think it is just amazing as it is. :)
twm47099
Oligarch

Unread post by twm47099 »

Vidgamer wrote:
Doh! Way to keep up with the competition! :wink: I guess I just have an image of all of these smart people figuring out features for the new camera line and deciding that noone would want an EVF! :wink: Ah well, maybe in a future-version. Until then, I'm actually surprised that an OVF is an available option.

Does the optical VF have any focusing capability or is it just for composing? If so is it useful?

tom
Phaelix_Photoclub
Acolyte

Unread post by Phaelix_Photoclub »

I certainly haven't heard that an EVF is off the books.

Agorabasta:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1007/10070 ... mwware.asp

I don't have direct contact with the Russian Sony office, but I expect when you return it it'll find it's way to whoever needs to see it.

David:
Yeah, that's frustrating- the kit I want is out of stock here at the moment too. At least I have a silver lining- it means the things are selling!
agorabasta
Viceroy

Phaelix_Photoclub wrote:... I expect when you return it it'll find it's way to whoever needs to see it.
The Ver.02 FW has solved all the flash problems for me.

So they obviously knew of that problem...
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

agorabasta wrote:
Phaelix_Photoclub wrote:... I expect when you return it it'll find it's way to whoever needs to see it.
The Ver.02 FW has solved all the flash problems for me.

So they obviously knew of that problem...
Notice any other changes/differences?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

My NEX kit has come, but so far today it's been handled with gloves on only for studio product photos. The battery is charging, tonight I do the screen shot photos. After that I can start using it, but while it is perfect and new, it's reserved for studio photography. I will know later on whether it is firmware 1 or 2. May not be able to confirm any hidden changes, after all, you have to use a camera for a month or so in order to spot those.

David
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Well, obviously, there's a new 3D Panorama mode. :D So far, I have not found a way to view them. :cry: It's different enough from other .MPO files to not work in a couple of programs that I've tried. I guess I'll keep looking....

So far I haven't noticed anything obviously different, but I haven't had a chance to use it much today, except a quick test of the 3D mode!
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Ok I found a solution: http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

Enjoy 3D!

The main negative I see to this is that the hight of the image is just 1080 -- the size of the HDTV screen. A normal sweep panorama is almost twice as tall. I imagine it must be a bandwidth limitation? (Or easier to cover up the stitching flaws? :wink: )
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Vidgamer wrote:Ok I found a solution: http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

Enjoy 3D!

The main negative I see to this is that the hight of the image is just 1080 -- the size of the HDTV screen. A normal sweep panorama is almost twice as tall. I imagine it must be a bandwidth limitation? (Or easier to cover up the stitching flaws? :wink: )
But what would you do with a 3D image besides display it on your 3D capable HDTV?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --