Canon EF lenses on the Sony NEX

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Elysium0o
Acolyte

Canon EF lenses on the Sony NEX

Unread post by Elysium0o »

Not tried out many lenses yet but this is a work in progress. For some reason, the distance between the adaptor is not 100% correct. Best lens that seemed to function was the 85mm 1.8.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4120/474 ... 928a_b.jpg

Overall results are not that bad to start.

Still needs tweaking before I can create a locking plate but getting there. Next is to sort out aperture control and focus abilities. :)
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Canon EF lenses on the Sony NEX

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Is this your own engineering - or the adaptor already available on eBay (with aperture control, I thought) for around $85?

I have not ordered this as I have no good old Canon glass. I have ordered a Leica screw adaptor (not sure why exactly, maybe for some lightweight bellows I have) and a C-mount adaptor. My only C-mount lens is a Kowa TV zoom f/1.8 12.5-75mm, and I am quite sure it will only cover a tiny area of the NEX sensor.

David
Elysium0o
Acolyte

This was my own creation with a Canon mount extension tube. No major modifications need to be made but it took a few days.

Since I came from a Canon gear system, I have a few lenses still laying about which I rather keep and use where possible until I can shell out for the Sony/CZ equivs.

I dont want to fork out for any adaptors just yet since I am still on the fence at what kind of lenses I plan to purchase. Sony have some nice walkaround lenses out there but the prime selection is a bit limited for my liking.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Elysium0o wrote:This was my own creation with a Canon mount extension tube. No major modifications need to be made but it took a few days.
Hi,
any pic of your home-made adapter for share?
;-)
Thanks
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Elysium0o
Acolyte

Yeah sure. :)

To be honest, anyone with a bit of free time and the right tools could make one. All you need to do is make a stable enough tube to increase the distance. Then to get more nerdy, add in rods to carry over the af/aperture contacts. That part is still work in progress.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

thanks for the pics.
Where did you get the E-mount?

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Elysium0o wrote:Then to get more nerdy, add in rods to carry over the af/aperture contacts. That part is still work in progress.
AF contacts? Are you expecting to get auto-focus with this bad boy?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Elysium0o
Acolyte

In ref to the e-mount, that is custom made. I have shaved away at the extension tube (plastic) till the fitment is spot on. Then just to make the locking mech. :)

Yes, I plan to get aperture and AF since it is all electronic. Only time will tell now.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Very exiting. For various reasons I tend to keep my Canon system and really wish a possible solution to use my L lenses on Nex cameras with AF because there are definitely more EF lenses equipped with USM than alpha mount lenses. Well the only one which does not have an inlens motor is the 50/2.5 macro
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Just a word of caution with the construction of the pinout interface between the e-mount contact system and the EOS contact system (apart from divining which pin does what on both), the EOS lens would have a Canon IC embedded in the lens and it's own focus position encoder system and aperture control that the NEX would not most likely, be able to communicate with. At least I for one would be amazed if it actually worked without causing any damege too either lens or camera. :shock:
Is that Canon lens CDAF based or PDAF based?
Greg
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Unread post by WaltKnapp »

Greg Beetham wrote:Just a word of caution with the construction of the pinout interface between the e-mount contact system and the EOS contact system (apart from divining which pin does what on both), the EOS lens would have a Canon IC embedded in the lens and it's own focus position encoder system and aperture control that the NEX would not most likely, be able to communicate with. At least I for one would be amazed if it actually worked without causing any damege too either lens or camera. :shock:
Is that Canon lens CDAF based or PDAF based?
Greg
I'd be most interested just getting aperture control. I'd like to have use of the MPE 65 1x-5x macro and what's stopping me is aperture control. If I ever run across a cheap broken one I can take apart I'd consider experimenting with putting in mechanical aperture control. The mount I don't worry about.

Walt
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Walt I had a search for the Canon pinout config. and or Service and parts manual for the mpe-65 lens without any success.
I think seriously you should probably consider adding a suitable EOS camera too the lens, it's quite a specialized lens and I doubt we'll ever see anything like that from an electronics gadget company like Sony, if Sony ever decide too become interested in Macro I think we'll both be long gone by the time they actually get around to manufacturing anything we would want.
Alternatively if the third party adaptor makers can make a good e-mount to EOS adaptor that can actually actuate the Canon aperture system you will be in luck with a NEX, looks like it would be a great combo for stacking, the only problem I can see is the non availability of a compatible ring flash too work with that combo, and ring lights won't work at f64. :D
Greg
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Unread post by WaltKnapp »

Greg Beetham wrote:Walt I had a search for the Canon pinout config. and or Service and parts manual for the mpe-65 lens without any success.
I think seriously you should probably consider adding a suitable EOS camera too the lens, it's quite a specialized lens and I doubt we'll ever see anything like that from an electronics gadget company like Sony, if Sony ever decide too become interested in Macro I think we'll both be long gone by the time they actually get around to manufacturing anything we would want.
Alternatively if the third party adaptor makers can make a good e-mount to EOS adaptor that can actually actuate the Canon aperture system you will be in luck with a NEX, looks like it would be a great combo for stacking, the only problem I can see is the non availability of a compatible ring flash too work with that combo, and ring lights won't work at f64. :D
Greg
Adding just an EOS camera would not do it. There would be the macro flash at least as well.

Macro flash is a critical issue in all these possible options. And a big stumbling point. I'm keeping my eye on NEX with macro being one of the interests there.

I don't think the MPE-65 has an odd pinout for EOS. But running an aperture is more than just pinouts in that system. I do have the MPE-65's owners manual, but of course that's no help at this level.

I can do macro at the same magnifications the MPE-65 provides, including a Zeiss 2.5x-5x macro ( I've not yet adapted the mount for that) as well as an assortment of micro bellows lenses, the MPE-65 is just a much more convenient kit.

Walt
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

WaltKnapp wrote:
Adding just an EOS camera would not do it. There would be the macro flash at least as well.

Macro flash is a critical issue in all these possible options. And a big stumbling point. I'm keeping my eye on NEX with macro being one of the interests there.

I don't think the MPE-65 has an odd pinout for EOS. But running an aperture is more than just pinouts in that system. I do have the MPE-65's owners manual, but of course that's no help at this level.

I can do macro at the same magnifications the MPE-65 provides, including a Zeiss 2.5x-5x macro ( I've not yet adapted the mount for that) as well as an assortment of micro bellows lenses, the MPE-65 is just a much more convenient kit.

Walt
Well yeah, you would have too get the Canon Ring Flash as well, that or maybe the Sigma. I wanted the service manual too get an idea about how the existing aperture sysem works in that lens, the focal ratio would change enormously between 1:1 and 5:1 and what was an f16 aperture at one end would probably be f90 at the other depending on the design, and I'm not familiar with how the exposure system allows for (and actuates) that at the time of the exposure. Just thinking about the magnification is a little mindbending for me (I don't get into extreme magnifications much anymore, a little too much fuss and bother), if a fly landed on the lens you would probably see the vibrations in the VF... :lol:
But yeah I can see how much more convenient a lens like that would be out in the field for extreme magnification work.
Greg
Elysium0o
Acolyte

Well my mount arrived

Not planning to post my electronics part just yet till I sort out. I have manged to get another reading for aperture @ f/2.0 so I know its there. It was only a reading and not had a chance to make any adjustments yet. It is a bit difficult since my 1D has gone.

So for now, having to use my primes wide open.

Hopefully get some more time to work on the electronics some more. If I have been given a reading for aperture, I see no reason why it would not function (a feeling I may be eating my own words).