My Nex5 arrived

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Mark K
Grand Caliph

My Nex5 arrived

Unread post by Mark K »

today after a very long waiting period.
Too bad the images were good only on the LCD screen. They are not as good once were enlarged on my computer monitors and they are no way close to images from my a850.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: My Nex5 arrived

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

What's the issue Mark? My NEX-5 images are comparable to the A550 which is a similar sensor. Of course they are not the same size or resolution as the A850. But I'm happily using the NEX instead of the A900 where I only need a 14 megapixel file, and the images are just as 'good' in terms of sharpness, noise, colour; I need better CA correction for some shots but that will be possible when ACR has NEX raw ability.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

as we say in NYC: Mazeltov!
what's the issue with your pics?
what lens(es) are you using?
did you upgrade to the last firmware version (this doesn't suppose to 'improve image quality" but...)

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

I used only the 18-55 and all shots in jpg. I found mostly focusing problem which is different from the predicted value that most of the locked portraits appear not so sharp. I am still charging the battery so tomorrow I can do a more detailed test.

I recently shoot with my a850 using prime lenses only so the optical difference between these images are too obvious.
However, my sons and my wife simple love the camera.

Video shooting is good. :mrgreen:
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Here are some shots after struggling for days. My main problem will be my aging eyes.
:mrgreen:
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Well that doesn't look too shabby! I think you found how to use it :D Thanks for keeping us posted.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

:mrgreen: That must be the reason why I have my own complaints...and when I laid my hands on my a850 and 24-70l home again. :mrgreen:
Here are some others from Nex 5
Elysium0o
Acolyte

Unread post by Elysium0o »

Look great to me! Give it some more time and you will love it even more. Especially when people start to ask you what you use.

NEX + 24-70Z would gain a lot of interest from public members. Got a lot of people wanting to try out mine after I picked it up.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Done a few handheld sunset
:mrgreen:
douglasf13
Heirophant

Unread post by douglasf13 »

I actually sold my ZA 24-70 to fund the NEX-5. It's only primes for me from now on with both my A900 and NEX-5 (I'm really digging the Voigtlander 35/1.4 Nokton on NEX.) As David said, if I don't need 24MP, then I'm very happy using the NEX-5.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

I will not do that.
24-70 SSM is indeed a very nice lens on my a850.

However, my old 24-85, which produces a cracking sound when mounted on A100, A700 and A850 and was certified dead by Sony, works extremely well. My current all time shooter is Nex 5 with 18-55, 16/2.8 and an old Minolta 50/1.7. From time to time, I will also carry a Minolta 100/2.8 soft and 50/2.8 macro. More practice is required to get a perfectly focused picture
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

My NEX-5 with 16mm and 18-55mm has also arrived. Not sure why Thom Hogan found the menu system so difficult. Never looked at the Instruction book and had no difficulty in setting up the camera to suit my requirements. Unfortunately the weather is not too good here - fog and freezing cold - so outdoor testing will have to wait. Will post a couple of images when I get the ClearViewer. Nifty little camera. it and lenses and extra battery and flash all fits into a small Hama bag I purchased for other purposes. So now I have three levels of weight/bulk
Panasonic NEX2/3 small
Sony NEX-5 a little more bulky but still very transportable
Sony A350/550/580 and 700. Bulky but good.
I must stop buying any more cameras now.