Sony conference

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Sony conference

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yeah Barry the NEX in it's current form isn't appealing too me, the concept is ok, but the implementation of it leaves a bit too be desired, mainly the user interface is the problem, for me anyway, a main settings screen as on a DSLR would improve it immensely and make it a lot more usable...for me, a couple of dedicated buttons wouldn't go astray either. Actually I'd have too give Sony very high marks for enthusiasm in the DSLR field, they did try very hard and produced some very good cameras, but they didn't really convince that they had a core system purpose that would be adhered too no matter what. The various marketing experiments could have attached on and around the edges of that, but they sort of gave the impression of an add-hoc approach instead, so one never new which way the DSLR spectrum was going too jump next, the infatuation with the beginner and female segments, the axe hanging over the screwdrive lens area, no real attention to a complete set of accessories for the system, (some of the ones that people wanted at least), couple that with very sparse responses, if any, from Sony at any time on any kind of direction question, would lead one to think that maybe they're no sure where they're going themselves.

Yep Jav I know about the so called reflectance issue bla bla, but if they were serious all they had too do was have a small panel of the right reflectance mounted under the sensor in the mirrorbox that the TTL sensor could 'look at' and regulate the flash from. That they didn't do such a simple fix is reason enough for me to decide they didn't actually want to fix it.
Greg
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

where? um..don't think so the image circle is just a little bigger than the frame and don;tmyou want your metering and flash metering to come from the same place?.. just a thought. what is even simpler than your idea here is to jst mount a thyrister flash and set it on automatic. that worked pretty well but the TTL system solves all the problems it diid have and A-ttl solved the problem of choosing the metering point from the scene to set the flash pulse. every maker adopted that sort of thing as the best method and thats what we have now except built into the camera. the only drawback is the preflash
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I guess it would't work if you wanted spot metering, but I always thought TTL was an averaging system anyway. Where to put it, well the format is rectangular so the biggest overlap of the image circle is either top or bottom, the image circle overlap when using FF lenses especially is huge on an APS-C format so a small recess either top or bottom with the reflectance material of the right type mounted in the rear of it as close too the sensor plane as possible would do nicely, they could calibrate it for some small distance differences I'm sure....if they wanted too.
Greg
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Speaking of flashes didn't David mention a new flash ?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Oh I didn't see that, sounds interesting, he might have posted a new message I haven't seen yet, I've been a little pre-occupied resurrecting my programs etc. Windows install said the previous windows would be stored in a directory called 'Windows old' and so far I've been unable too re-locate my previous email messages in that directory, a huge amount of 'stuff' .dll's and other bric-a-brac but seemingly not what I'd consider important.
Greg
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

if your using outlook then your e-mails are likely in .PST files under your profile (outlook.pst etc) look in

C:\Documents and Settings\'Your Profile name in here" \Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Diferent versions could have set up diferently if you use vista or win7 jst open explorer and search for *.pst and in a few seconds you'll have the part if it's XP you can use windows search but its a lot slower and needs to be configured peoperly
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks J, it's Vista premium 32bit, I did a sweep search using *.*eml but all I found so far in the current drive C:\ was the emails that have come in since the re-install. I noticed that the new install decided too swap drive letters as well, what was once C: is now D: and visaversa .... E: and F: remained where they were. I'll try .pst as well and see how that goes.
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The new flash brings 58-type articulation to the 42-power flash. Metz also has en entire new range of flash units, with metal components in the feet which may prove a danger to Minolta/Sony cameras if an accident happens, camera more likely to break than flash. And one again only their most powerful models will work with wireless, they have neat small models but these have no wireless remote use. Nissin have good new flashes, and many minor firms have Alpha shoe guns - but none of these are true system flashes with wireless, they are just stuff which will appear on eBay and confuse people.

David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Thanks for the info on the flash. i'm glad to see Sony bringing the 42 model space up to date. it'll be interesting to see the price point
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It's a bit more powerful than the 42 apparently.

David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

um ...I wonder then if there is a plan for a 65 flash? Minolta has never had one that big have they ?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Javelin wrote:um ...I wonder then if there is a plan for a 65 flash? Minolta has never had one that big have they ?
Nope but you could easily make one, just increase the zoom like they all do, the F58 is actually less powerful than the KM 5600HSD 'F56' flash if you look at the GN tables. Nikon have a super zoom flash goes out too 105 I think, they all love to make the model no. the same as the most concentrated and most useless level of light coverage.
Greg
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Greg, I think guide numbers alone are not enough, and calculated according to which focal length (I guess :roll: ).
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Sony changed the focal length used to make the GN look more impressive.
As said in reality the new 58 flash actually has less power than the old 56 one. And the 42 has only an increase of GN 1 over the older 36 model and not an increase of GN 6 as you might think.

Of course there are other reasons to want the newer ones improvements etc. But Sony manipulated the GN figures (or rather changed the focal length) to make folks think they were more powerful when in reality they were not.
Minolta were using the headline GN at 85mm thus the 5600HS (D) was GN 56 at 85mm ISO 100.

Have a look at Sigma who show the GN scale at various focal lengths:
http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/flash/530super.htm

Nikon for some reason quote shorter focal lengths making their flash seem underpowered.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Dr. Harout wrote:Greg, I think guide numbers alone are not enough, and calculated according to which focal length (I guess :roll: ).
Yes that's right Doc, there was a standard field of view over which the flash had complete coverage and an exposure value given at ISO 100, that was how the GN tables were calculated for different flashes. But since the advent of zoom head flash guns, different formats (APS-C & FF= different FOV with the same lens and therefore different angle of coverage required by the flash) and the various manufacturers marketing depts. (with poetic licence) the situation is now more obscure than it ever was.
It looks like the 'standard' now for some but maybe not all is an 85mm lens on a FF camera (approx 28 deg. FOV) at ISO100 to calculate the GN tables. Even then you have too keep your eye on whether the GN is being quoted in feet or metres.
Greg