Burnt NEX5

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Burnt NEX5

Unread post by Mark K »

Nex5 is hot and at least ten friends of mine bought them immediately. The camera itself is hot. The very first day of one put Nex5 one fire, after an exhausting day of video shooting, the camera simply refused to work. Local Sony said nothing and repaired the camera in three day' time. It was not until today when Engadget today revealed the fact about A33/A55 having the same problem, I will think the reason behind must be the photographer's mistake.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Burnt NEX5

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

My NEX-5 got so hot after ten minutes' video shooting at photokina that I passed it to other journalists to warm/burn their hands on - it was VERY hot. It surprised everyone.

David
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Sounds like my phone when I use it to surf on the web :? Will monitor my NEX to check heat issues. So far I only did casual shooting, nothing intense, didn't notice anything.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

:mrgreen: Luckily I have not taken anything longer than 10 minutes.
It seems that Nex5's magnesium body helps a lot, at least comparing A55. I wonder if this is common in all dSLRs capable of video shooting.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

It gets hot, but I never had to stop shooting (recording) until now. Yesterday I went to a concert (James...) and spent the whole time taking pictures and video shooting, no mayor problems with the camera.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

I have done about 3-4 hours of movie and picture too, and found the camera very hot, but it has not stop working. The only strange things so far is that is doing weird things in the RAW preview of picture taken with lens with AF M42 adapter, where the camera do not detect properly the 50mm F/1.7, the result is a color shifting picture. Other thing are strange black out some time of the camera, the screen stay black ... and you have to wait about 5 to 10 seconds to come back. This append most of the time again with lens where the focal length and aperture are not detected.

One of my investigation for the moment shows that on more than three lenses with specific M42 adapter AF with programmed Focal/aperture like : 50mm 1.1, 135mm 2.0 and 300mm 2.8; all the three adapter are working fine on the A900 body, but there is no information available via the NEX Alpha adapter. But with cheap standard M42 AF with default 50mm F/1.7 everything is fine.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

David Kilpatrick wrote:My NEX-5 got so hot after ten minutes' video shooting at photokina that I passed it to other journalists to warm/burn their hands on - it was VERY hot. It surprised everyone.
This sounds like the classic problem with microelectronics that I have been dealing with on aircraft for many years. The fundamental cause is that the electrical engineers/designers of electronics think almost exclusively about the electrical aspects of their designs, and forget that the efficiency losses in the circuits end up as heat that must be rejected to the atmosphere.

Ironically, the issue has become more and more common as the components become smaller and the power consumption becomes less, as the typical electrical designer takes the attitude that because the power dissipation is less, the problem must be less. In reality, the problem is often worse because the power density - the power dissipation per unit volume - is actually increasing because the volume is shrinking more rapidly than the power dissipation is decreasing. This means that the surface area available to transfer heat to the surroundings is dropping faster than the energy to be transferred, which means that the surface must become hotter to transfer that waste heat.

There are a number of small but useful design details that can be used to address this issue and avoid high temperatures, but my experience has been that most companies that consider themselves to be electronics houses seem to forget the heat transfer aspect of their designs until they encounter problems in service. It sounds as if Sony has fallen into this common trap with the NEX and Axx cameras.

BTW, there is a very strong inverse relationship between the operating temperature of electronic components and their service life. For their own benefit, I hope that Sony makes some design changes to drop the component temperatures on their latest generation of cameras. Otherwise, they may be looking at significant costs for warranty claims.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

maybe we will start seeing cooling fans in Cameras :(
or there might be a market for a 3rd party grip that include cooling system for the NEX's :)
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

My interest in this device just went to zero.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
douglasf13
Heirophant

Unread post by douglasf13 »

Winston wrote:My interest in this device just went to zero.
Heat is a pretty common problem with most new cameras if you're shooting very long videos. In normal still shot scenarios, my NEX hasn't had any heat issues.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I think people are over-reacting over the over-heating issue...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

I don't remember having use any camera that was staying cool after intense usage. From my Canon powershot s200, s45, Minolta 7D, Sony A700, Sony A900 & NEX 5. So, it is not a problem for me for the moment. I think the problem is more present on design where the PCB are so compress in small place with less air cage that the heat feel more in our hand that if there is a big huge plastic body on it.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

pakodominguez wrote: Yesterday I went to a concert (James...)
Jealous! :mrgreen:

How did the audio turn out?
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

If you think the NEX gets hot, watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V94shlqPlSI