I want a pocket NEX

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
mvanrheenen

Re: I want a pocket NEX

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Vidgamer wrote:Hopefully, the upcoming Sigma lenses will be relatively small and give Nex owners some options when it comes to keeping the size small.
For me, they did. Just have the Sigma 30mm now, but the small size and weight make the NEX a lot more compact then other offerings at the moment (bar the Sony 16 pancake off course).

Mark
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

This new 1" sensor Sony RX100 looks interesting:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-full-rx100-leak/

But, no VF and probably not even an accessory EVF. :( To get an idea of the size:

Sony RX100: 58.1 x 101.6 x 35.9mm
Canon A590IS: 65 x 94 x 41mm (simple OVF)
Canon S95: 58 x 100 x 30 mm (no VF)
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I like the styling and, at last, RAW in a cybershot :shock: . Other than that it is a bit 'meh' imho. Especially with 29 /30 mm at its widest setting.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:I like the styling and, at last, RAW in a cybershot :shock: . Other than that it is a bit 'meh' imho. Especially with 29 /30 mm at its widest setting.
I notice that this morning dpreview is reporting that the lens is 28-100mm equivalent. Price is US$650.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

28 sounds a bit better at the wide end.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

The Sony RX100III with EVF and 1" sensor looks very interesting. I have handled it several times in Japan. Around $800 so not inexpensive. Not much bigger than my Canon S95 even. Great size to carry everywhere like I do my S95, but sort of too small to not be fiddly while using. I would like to get one though. Probably would have already if not for the fact that Sony (unlike Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Fuji, etc.) does not allow the menu to be changed from Japanese for the ones they sell here. Otherwise they are identical, just with Japanese-only firmware.

The other camera now that looks very interesting is the Panasonic LX100 with the EVF and 4/3 sensor. I haven't handled one yet, but it appears to be closer to the size of my Canon G15. That is a size that is much less fiddly in use so I like to take my G15 out with me when I think I will be taking photos, but I am not sure I will be and may have other things I am doing too. I take it out with me almost everyday. Unfortunately, Panasonic, like Sony, has Japanese-only menu here in Japan. Strange how the camera companies allow the menu to be changed like they do all over the world, but the two electronic companies don't.

Old Chinese Proverb: Man who says it can't be done should not interrupt man who is doing it.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bakubo wrote:The Sony RX100III with EVF and 1" sensor looks very interesting. I have handled it several times in Japan. Around $800 so not inexpensive.
When I think about camera prices, I think when I'll need to replace that camera: so an A900 will be able to do the job for 4 or 5 years (I did bought the A99 in the mean while, but sold it one year after because, even it it deliver better quality files than the A900, the difference was not that important and I did preferred to replace it by the A7R) An A55 will need replacement, for my needs, in less than 2 years...

I had the RX100 original for few moths, but I decided it didn't really offered what I need, not on image quality, that is exceptional, but the lens was good on qualities I was not looking for (close focus at wide angle) and weak on qualities (close focus at the long end) that I want it to excel. I want to try the RX100III, I believe the lens match better my needs -I'm still not sure I'll buy it.

If I don't buy it it will be because I still can do what that camera offers me with the equipment I already have (NEX7 for compactness, and A7R for wireless control and apps), even if I believe the RX100III is also a camera that can do the job for 4 years or more.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

LX100 does look interesting it's a natural evolution for a premium compact. I think though you can't ignore the price on these types of cameras £800 odd just isn't going to fly. I think there is a limit for how much you can charge for a larger sensor compact and the RX100 III again is far more than I'd say is acceptable

Put simply it's like this..
I can buy an APS-C sensor camera for less than those and whilst it's not small it need not be massive either (a57 isn't huge not for me granted much depends on the lens you put on it)

Small is fine, but prices need to be in line with what's on offer and they're not
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Just for grins here are some size comparisons. For those who don't know, the basic specs of the LX100 and RX100III are:

LX100: 12.7mp 4/3 sensor (but doesn't use the whole thing -- crops a bit), fov 24-75mm f1.7-2.8, EVF
RX100III: 20.2mp 1" sensor, fov 24-70mm f1.8-2.8, EVF
Panasonic_LX100_Sony_RX100III.jpg
(67.38 KiB) Downloaded 3923 times
Panasonic_LX100_Canon_G15.jpg
(77.93 KiB) Downloaded 3923 times
For this view I have added the new Panasonic GM5 with EVF + 12-32mm f3.5-5.6 (fov 24-64mm) and Panasonic GX7 with EVF + 12-35mm f2.8 (fov 24-70mm) for comparison:
Panasonic_LX100_top.jpg
(64.68 KiB) Downloaded 3923 times
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:LX100 does look interesting it's a natural evolution for a premium compact. I think though you can't ignore the price on these types of cameras £800 odd just isn't going to fly. I think there is a limit for how much you can charge for a larger sensor compact and the RX100 III again is far more than I'd say is acceptable
Yeah, I sure wish both of these cost a lot less, but prices aren't set by what I want to pay. :lol: Whether these 2 cameras are too expensive or not will be determined by the market, not by just what you prefer.

If I could just pick the RX100III up here in Japan then I probably would have already done so, even though the price is pretty high. They finally added an EVF to it and since it is a pop-up the whole camera is not much bigger than my S95 (mostly thicker).
bfitzgerald wrote: Put simply it's like this..
I can buy an APS-C sensor camera for less than those and whilst it's not small it need not be massive either (a57 isn't huge not for me granted much depends on the lens you put on it)

Small is fine, but prices need to be in line with what's on offer and they're not
Barry, obviously you don't care about size and weight. Keep buying DSLRs and DSLTs and be happy. Like it or not, cameras aren't priced by size/weight like a bag of potatoes. :lol:

I haven't heard when the LX100 will be available in Japan. I stopped by a Bic Camera yesterday afternoon to check again, but still nothing there. I want to handle one, but I can't buy it here. I have never bought a camera without holding it and examining it first. In Japan I can easily do that anytime so I, naturally, am often interested in buying one here. Too bad that Sony and Panasonic don't want my money and the money of thousands of other potential customers here.
Last edited by bakubo on Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Each to his own IMO the camera makers are fooling very few with such ludicrous pricing
I'm certainly not paying a heavy premium just for "small" others can decide for themselves
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:Each to his own IMO the camera makers are fooling very few with such ludicrous pricing
I'm certainly not paying a heavy premium just for "small" others can decide for themselves
'Twas always thus, and always thus will be. To each his own. :lol:

Camera Pricing Has Been Going Up

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/cam ... -been.html
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

They are all losing money and some are struggling to keep afloat, I guess putting the prices up is one option, but it will be counter productive in the long run.
Mike-Photos
Oligarch

Unread post by Mike-Photos »

Maybe I've been brainwashed :oops:, but how much would you pay for a 24-70 F/1.8 - F/2.8 lens on your camera?

And it's combined with a 20MP camera whose quality would rival a DSLR five years ago at all ISOs, and today would make reasonably sized prints at low ISOs that would be hard to distingush from a DSLR?

And it weighs almost nothing and fits in my pocket!!
And it has a viewfinder!!

I'm very happy with my RX100 Mk III!
Mike
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Mike, I agree the RX100III looks very interesting.

Somehow I missed the introduction of the new Canon G7X recently, but today I read about it. Looks very good, but darn it has no EVF. :( I have had 2 Sony cameras and both had QC problems. I have had 9 Canon cameras and all have been totally QC problem free. If the G7X had an EVF I would be much, much more inclined to go for it than the RX100III and also Canon likes selling stuff more than Sony does since Canon makes it easy for anyone to buy one of their cameras in Japan.
Last edited by bakubo on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.