I want a pocket NEX

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Re: I want a pocket NEX

Unread post by Vidgamer »

I wish cameras like the RX100 were around several years ago. These kinds of cameras are small enough for all sorts of travel, but give really good results. I had to struggle sometimes with my early digital cameras.

The smallest lens for the Nex cameras is the 20mm, but the Nex-6 isn't exactly a pocket camera. But, it's still small compared to most of the film cameras I've seen, and it's light enough that I don't mind carrying it for long periods of time. My old Nex-5 with the 20mm (or even 16mm) lens is extremely "pocketable", and has been my go-to setup for a couple of short trips where I wanted to pack light.

I've had multiple Sony cameras, and I can't think of any "QC" problems. My Sony A100 did develop a weird glitch with some of my lenses, but not sure if it's a design flaw, manufacturing flaw, or what. But overall, the cameras seem to be designed well and pretty sturdy too. My Nikon 880 developed a broken battery door hinge after a few years or so -- after I upgraded to a Sony, thankfully-- then not too much longer, died -- unfortunately, as it was a nice camera. Seems to me that a camera should last more than 4 or 5 or however many years that was. The Sony camera that replaced that is still working well, only seldom-used now due to buying newer models.

If I were to start all over today, I think I would have to seriously consider an RX100, probably RX100 III. Part of this is timing -- these small, high performance cameras just didn't exist years ago. The higher-end P&S cameras were large, then disappeared almost completely, replaced by low-end DSLRs which were even larger. It's fun with the interchangeable lenses and all, but I have to wonder if it's worth it all. The RX100 III might be the camera I would have wanted back in 2006 -- not necessarily the best, but good enough for most situations.