Where are our quality E mount lenses?

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Where are our quality E mount lenses?

Unread post by Mark K »

One year after having my Nex5, I am still shooting with the two lenses which came with the body, though a 11mm and a fisheye adapter were added. Nex5 is capable of producing incredibly good images, provided the lens attached is sharp. I have helped at least 10 or more people to get the same kit. The next question is, where are our quality E mount lenses?
Using adapters is one thing, but getting the most of Nex cameras potentials using fast AF is another. With access to Alpha and Canon/Nikon DSLRs cannot express my disappointment and worries about Sony's slow reaction to this critical issue of lens production, as the chance can never be back again. Looking at other competitor's line up, I started to believe that Sony is a play station company. :|
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Where are our quality E mount lenses?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Well, there's a 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS and a CZ 24mm f/2 on the way.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Mark K
This is a major issue with me as well. I bought the NEX-5 with 16mm pancake and 18-55 zoom. I then added the S/A converter. I will invest no more money in NEX equipment until more E-mount lenses are made available. The 55-200 may be OK but really, for video it does not go wide enough and Sony's 18-200 is a giant fitted on to a dwarf. So I need more small quality lenses. Ideally I could do with a small F4-5.6 duo of 12-20 and 16-125mm quality lenses. That would cover most of my usage requirements. In addition I will not buy a NEX body until the speed of AF and AE has been vastly improved. I have no issues with the IQ of the NEX-5 and I can imagine that the C3 is even better but that cam is not for me and it cannot even be bought as a second NEX as a body only version does not exist. How come that Sony cannot imagine that a NEX user might wish a second body without another kit lens foisted upon him/her. Conclusion: You are right that Sony are neglecting the E lens availability issue. I have also been waiting for Tamron and Sigma to fill some of the voids. No annoucements yet. I could imagine that Tamron could retain lens vibration stabilization in their new 18-270 and adjust it to e-mount without too much bother. This would be ideal and might provide fast AF even with contrast detect. Maybe Sony are preventing this.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

:mrgreen: Local Samsung is dumping their relatively new NX100, at a rate around 200UKP with a body, the 20-50 kit lens, flash gun and the quality 30/2 pancake.
I have no problem using all my current Nex gears, even I tried 18-200 for some time but, I really need quality primes to bring out the and to show how good our Nex cameras are. My least frequently used Minolta 50/1.7 has become the standard lens but I really hate manual focusing.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Where? Car glove compartment beckons!
ianmiddy
Heirophant

Unread post by ianmiddy »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Where? Car glove compartment beckons!
DITTO!!!

Cheers

IDM
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

:twisted: I tried Samsung NX100 and it is not a pleasing camera afterall. AF is not responsive, thanks to probably the huge RAW size writing to a slow SD card....and the camera is huge with very slippery handgrip which is metallic. The AMOLED screen is great, great indoor but will never helps me out under the sun. The only two primes in their line up are 20 and 30mm prime, and nothing comparing to Olympus/Pansonic...
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Sony had better get their skates on if they want to avoid being side-lined by the MFT train. Olympus announced yesterday 3 new cameras, as well as 2 new lenses, a 12/2 and 45/1.8. Add to this the stunning new Leica Summilux for MFT, a 25/1.4 with MFD of only 30cm, and you have a pretty outstanding set of primes. I don't know how MFT IQ compares with the new 16mp Sony sensor but I imagine it's going to be good enough for many of us. And the EP3 can use Olympus's highly regarded EVF too. So unless there's some movement soon I may find myself reluctantly migrating to MFT, particularly if the smaller PEN EPL3 is a viable prospect.

Here is a link to a Chinese site (courtesy of TOP) which shows the new Leica lens in all its glory. And apparently it's slated to sell for around USD600, which if true seems pretty affordable for a lens of this quality.

http://www.omuser.com/viewthread.php?ti ... 3D1&page=1
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

You may have a point Artington, but I don't believe (from what I have read) that that 4/3 12Mp sensor is a realistic competitor to Sony's 14/16Mp sensors in NEX bodies and Sonyalpharumors have a SR4 entry today that the NEX-7 with 24Mp will be announced in August http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/
I prefer to sit pretty with my NEX-5 and wait for developments. Switching is a big deal and if Sony/Sigma/Tamron and other independents come out with a flood of E-mount lenses in 2012 I am sure that the Sony APS-C sensors will beat anything the MFT crowd can produce. IQ is a big issue with me and I would hate to downgrade from the NEX-5 level of IQ performance, particularly at higher ISO settings.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Where? Car glove compartment beckons!
so, I have to buy a car in order to get da lens?
:o
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Nopsie, Pakito, you have to buy a truck to store them all. And I love it! (And I hope so you do, too...)
sparaxis
Initiate

Unread post by sparaxis »

To anyone who grew up in the good old days of manual focus there is an easy answer: Adapter and Rangefinder lenses.

The video peaking feature makes it easier to get sharp focus than many of the "aids" used in the old days. In fact, it beats most rangefinders hands down.

I use the 28 f1.9 Ultron, 50 f2.0 Heliar and 90 f3.5 Lanthar from voigtlaender extensively. Of course, none of these is small, but the 35 f2.5 is tiny, even when on the M-mount adapter. The 40 f1.4 is also very small.

I bought the NEX to use these lenses, as we have a full set from 12mm to 90. I had no desire to pay the Leica price.

And the results speak for themselves - the images are spectacular
RedTail_Panther
Acolyte

Unread post by RedTail_Panther »

I sincerely hope the Zeiss 24mm ƒ2.0 and Sony E-Mount 40mm ƒ2.0 are available in sufficient quantities globally by Christmas season..... :|
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

RedTail_Panther wrote:I sincerely hope the Zeiss 24mm ƒ2.0 and Sony E-Mount 40mm ƒ2.0 are available in sufficient quantities globally by Christmas season..... :|
How many do you need ? :lol:
RedTail_Panther
Acolyte

Unread post by RedTail_Panther »

bossel wrote:
RedTail_Panther wrote:I sincerely hope the Zeiss 24mm ƒ2.0 and Sony E-Mount 40mm ƒ2.0 are available in sufficient quantities globally by Christmas season..... :|
How many do you need ? :lol:
Well,
It took a bit of time for the 18-200 to reach the USA....and now we also have the earthquake situation..

Just one of each though 8)