NEX-7

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Re: NEX-7

Unread post by artington »

Like everyone else I've been awaiting this NEX7 with great anticipation, since I have no interest in any SLT camera and see the NEX7, rather than the a77, as a successor to the a700. Unfortunately I think it's too expensive, particularly in this economic climate. So I will not be rushing to pre-order and will wait for the price to settle at a much more sensible level. Consumers are stretched right now and I don't see that changing in a hurry so realistic pricing may come sooner than people expect. And competition is hotting up too.

Meanwhile I am very happy with images taken with the NEX 5 even if I curse its lack of EVF and slow RAW buffer.

And I still have my M8.
Elysium0o
Acolyte

Unread post by Elysium0o »

Does anyone have any questions or requests they would like me to try and take forward at IFA? As per my topic, I am back there on Saturday so am more than happy to take more photos etc, ask questions or find anything out for anyone?

They have

NEX-7 with Zeiss 24 1.8
NEX-7 with 55-210
NEX-7 with 18-55

Few NEX-5n bodies but didn't give them as much attention as I should have. :lol:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Elysium0o wrote:Few NEX-5n bodies but didn't give them as much attention as I should have. :lol:
Check out the 5N + EVF and let us know.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

Elysium0o wrote:Does anyone have any questions or requests they would like me to try and take forward at IFA? As per my topic, I am back there on Saturday so am more than happy to take more photos etc, ask questions or find anything out for anyone?

They have

NEX-7 with Zeiss 24 1.8
NEX-7 with 55-210
NEX-7 with 18-55

Few NEX-5n bodies but didn't give them as much attention as I should have. :lol:
Q1: It is not clear to me if the Nex7 need and external flash to control a wireless flash
Q2: The sound of the shutter of the Nex7, how it is ... and if by any chance you can put a microphone close to the camera :-)
Q3: Performance of the 18-55mm on the Nex7 (even I have already bought it), I'm interest to know how it deal with it in wide open up to ~F8.
Q4: The Crop factor question of David in Video.

this is the one I got in mind for the moment :-).

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

artington wrote:Unfortunately I think it's too expensive, particularly in this economic climate. So I will not be rushing to pre-order and will wait for the price to settle at a much more sensible level. Consumers are stretched right now and I don't see that changing in a hurry so realistic pricing may come sooner than people expect. And competition is hotting up too.
Putting aside people economies, I don't think the NEX7 (or the A900 by the way) is expensive. With digital, we have to assume all cameras are disposable. The question is when? Most of the times, if you buy a cheap camera, you will be forced to replace it "soon" -every year and a half? my A100 barely last one year, I sold it the same day I got the A700, that I got it as soon as it hit the shelves and I just sold it mostly because I'm not using it that much since I bought the A850 2 years ago.

The A900 at today's price (about 2600 US$) is still a competitive camera for most of the jobs (other than sports or underexposed low light) and, since it is not clear if the next FF Alpha camera will be OVF or EVF, a really good buy if you have the money.

Now, the NEX7, if the high ISO noise is well controlled, with the quality of it's body construction, 24 MP... and lots of everything on it, is a camera that won't need to get replaced in, lets say 4 years or more. Double the time of a NEX3/5/A3x/A3xx...

No, I don't think it is expensive.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

InTheSky wrote: Q1: It is not clear to me if the Nex7 need and external flash to control a wireless flash
Yes, the HVL-F20AM will do the job.
InTheSky wrote: Q2: The sound of the shutter of the Nex7, how it is ... and if by any chance you can put a microphone close to the camera :-)
doesn't make sense: when you are recording the shutter is open and doesn't make any sound...
InTheSky wrote: Q3: Performance of the 18-55mm on the Nex7 (even I have already bought it), I'm interest to know how it deal with it in wide open up to ~F8.
Same here, even if I'm not planning to use it (it will go with the NEX5 to my girlfriend's hands...)
InTheSky wrote:Q4: The Crop factor question of David in Video.
I don't know it this is measurable, otherwise Sony will specify it....
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Paul Genge is putting the question abou the HD crop factor now to the Japanese, having grasped why the question was originally asked. He'll be getting back to us on this soon. He has also conveyed the need to manual control of microphone gain, and reinstatement of remote PC operation, on the A77.

David
InTheSky
Viceroy

pakodominguez wrote:
artington wrote:...
The A900 at today's price (about 2600 US$) is still a competitive camera for most of the jobs (other than sports or underexposed low light) and, since it is not clear if the next FF Alpha camera will be OVF or EVF, a really good buy if you have the money.

For me the A900 was probably the best buy of my life in the Digital world. Because In fact it cost me ~1000$/year since I got it and I have been able from the beginning to get stunning detail picture that even today there is no cheaper option to deliver the same. And for studio shooting (well I don't have a medium format :-() it is still the winner for me (combine with good lenses).

I pretty sure the Nex 7 will be a good camera for about 2 years without having temptation on other camera body. But not sure it will stay like the A900.

On the other hand the grand winner are the people who have invest in a Canon 5D Mark II I think. Because since the beginning for them, they are able to get insane good video quality and format.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
InTheSky
Viceroy

Re: NEX-7 -> ISO Test

This is the first picture to be share on the internet of some ISOs shot with the NEX 7.

So fare ... it looks very promising. For me I was not expecting that good for the High density sensor in small package. For the the color rendition and detail, the ISO1600 looks good and also 3200. Probably I will have finally found the beast to use in low light concert photography (weight and size ...).

http://www.dslrmagazine.com/images/stor ... se_AAA.jpg

Clearly ... the Image will be better than the A77 ...

Frank
Frank
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

pakodominguez wrote: Putting aside people economies, I don't think the NEX7 (or the A900 by the way) is expensive. With digital, we have to assume all cameras are disposable. The question is when? Most of the times, if you buy a cheap camera, you will be forced to replace it "soon" -every year and a half? my A100 barely last one year, I sold it the same day I got the A700, that I got it as soon as it hit the shelves and I just sold it mostly because I'm not using it that much since I bought the A850 2 years ago.

No, I don't think it is expensive.

Regards
I don't disagree with the basis of your argument but the MSRP in the US of USD1199 equates to GBP888 at the current exchange rate and adding VAT of 20%, so once again we are being charged quite a bit more here at the asking price of GBP999 - 12.5% more in fact
WyldRage
Acolyte

Re: NEX-7 -> ISO Test

Unread post by WyldRage »

InTheSky wrote: For the the color rendition and detail, the ISO1600 looks good and also 3200.
Great! That's all the performance I ask from the camera: I've never shot over 3200.

Thanks for the link.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

AnthonyC wrote:I was also hoping for a 24 mm f2.8 (even f4 would have been ok) pankake equivalent to the 16 mm. This would have been a virtually permanent fixture on my future NEX-7 and a big seller I would have thought. I will continue using my Pentax 24 mm f2.8 manual focus lens, which is much smaller and lighter.

Can anyone explain the point of such a fast 35 mm equavelent? Mine would be on f8 more or less permanentltly. Also I have noticed that the faster the wide angle prime the poorer its performance tends to be.

I should not be moaning though the two new bodies look great and I can work with the lenses I have.

Tony
Yes, it does seem strange that a company touting the compact size AND the near night-vision ISO capabilities of a camera would put out lenses that are more suited for ISO 25 film!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Elysium0o
Acolyte

Unread post by Elysium0o »

Hey all, back from the show a few hours ago...shattered but as promised, I have tried to cover everything that people wanted and a few extras. I would copy and post photos here but after a 3000 word essay, I am knackered so you can have a read up here.

http://clarity-rebirth.co.uk/theblog/?p=172

Sadly I got annoyed and walked off as a Sony member of staff came along and took the A77 from me but meh, lot more to see.

Enjoy
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks for the update - very interesting.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Not buying a NEX until next year or when prices come down. I had resolved to go for the NEX-5N with the EVF, but the body only is likely to be £500 and the EVF £300 so after reading David Kilpatrick's comments that the CZ 16-80 does well in front of 24Mp I am swinging towards the NEX-7 again at £1000 or £200 more than the 5N.
I would be looking for a body only NEX-7 at say £900. I am sure the price will drop to that level within six months of launch. That would suit me. I would acquire the EA-LA2 in any event to get the use of Alpha lenses with proper AF. No more Alpha cameras for me. I just have this feeling that more E-mount lenses will follow from various sources to provide a comprehensive system.