NEX-7

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Bob Janes
Acolyte

Re: NEX-7

Unread post by Bob Janes »

To my mind there are only three issues with the NEX-7:

1. It doesn't use the '500' battery.
2. It doesn't have body-based anti-shake.
3. It isn't full-frame.

Other than the above, it would seem to be a superb spec - looks pretty gorgeous too... Unfortunately this may keep the price higher than it would if it was obviously faulted.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Bob Janes wrote:To my mind there are only three issues with the NEX-7:

1. It doesn't use the '500' battery.
2. It doesn't have body-based anti-shake.
3. It isn't full-frame.

Other than the above, it would seem to be a superb spec - looks pretty gorgeous too... Unfortunately this may keep the price higher than it would if it was obviously faulted.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... ions.shtml
(the illuminated and Jason Schneider) we were discussing our impressions of the new product line-up we both agreed that there was something about the NEX-7 that made it very appealing as a "thing" unto itself, not just as a device for taking photographs. This is somewhat hard to describe, but is attributable to a combination of the camera's fit, finish and design aesthetic. The only other camera of the past few years that to my mind exhibits this characteristic is the Fuji X100.
I don't think the NEX7 looks as sexy as the X100, but I think it will make a (big) dent in the market, and It won't have the levels of disappointment the X100 have.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Referring to the Luminous Landscape review I found the comparison between images taken on the n7 with a Zeiss 24/1.8 (optimised for the NEX) and the Leica 24/1.4 (obviously not) very interesting and also dismaying. Now it may be that firmware needs tuning but, for me, the main attraction of the NEX system is the ability to use Leica, VM, etc lenses. On the basis of the IQ comparison shown in the LL piece one can forget it.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

artington wrote:Referring to the Luminous Landscape review I found the comparison between images taken on the n7 with a Zeiss 24/1.8 (optimised for the NEX) and the Leica 24/1.4 (obviously not) very interesting and also dismaying. Now it may be that firmware needs tuning but, for me, the main attraction of the NEX system is the ability to use Leica, VM, etc lenses. On the basis of the IQ comparison shown in the LL piece one can forget it.
Generally Leica lenses are very expensive, but the new Zeiss is, what, about $1k? How much is the Leica lens? $1k is not cheap, but probably a lot less than the Leica. If the Zeiss is better, cheaper, and has AF what's so bad about that?
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

bakubo wrote:
artington wrote:
Generally Leica lenses are very expensive, but the new Zeiss is, what, about $1k? How much is the Leica lens? $1k is not cheap, but probably a lot less than the Leica. If the Zeiss is better, cheaper, and has AF what's so bad about that?
Nothing. Except I already own the Leica and VM lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

artington wrote:Nothing. Except I already own the Leica and VM lenses.
Ahh. I guess the Leica M9 probably gets better results with Leica lenses. Expensive body though. Doesn't the Leica lens sit further from the sensor with the adapter than the E-mount Zeiss lens? So, why is the Leica getting worse results than it should? I thought it was lenses sitting closer to the sensor that made things more difficult, not lenses that sit further from the sensor.
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

artington wrote:Referring to the Luminous Landscape review I found the comparison between images taken on the n7 with a Zeiss 24/1.8 (optimised for the NEX) and the Leica 24/1.4 (obviously not) very interesting and also dismaying. Now it may be that firmware needs tuning but, for me, the main attraction of the NEX system is the ability to use Leica, VM, etc lenses. On the basis of the IQ comparison shown in the LL piece one can forget it.
There has been extensive discussion on the LL website of the poor performance of the Leica lens. The conclusion - supported by Michael Reichman himself - is that he somehow botched the test. Michael says that he plans to repeat the test as soon as he is able to to do so.

BTW, a number of people have commented on the LL web site that they have used Leica and other rangefinder lenses with very good results on a NEX3, NEX5, or NEX-5N. The results Michael obtained on the NEX-7 were so terrible that they cannot begin to be explained by the increase in pixel count and resolution.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
alphauser
Acolyte

Unread post by alphauser »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Paul Genge is putting the question abou the HD crop factor now to the Japanese, having grasped why the question was originally asked. He'll be getting back to us on this soon. He has also conveyed the need to manual control of microphone gain, and reinstatement of remote PC operation, on the A77.

David
Is there already an update on the video crop question? I know Nex-5N does not crop in video mode anymore, A77 does so, at least when using electronic SteadyShot (does it crop when steadyshot is turned off?).

Thank you
Michael
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

A77 crops regardless - quite a heavy crop too.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

I had the chance to take a look at the January issue of Popular Photography: the cover is for the "camera of the year", the camera that refine, redefine (and plus...) photography this year is... well, we know which camera is the camera of the year, don't we?
;-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stewartjs
Initiate

Unread post by stewartjs »

Visited Castle Cameras in Salisbury last night - they had a Sony demo with Paul Genge and a few goodies. NEX-7, A77, A65 and several lenses. My main conclusion - I want one to replace my A550 when the time comes (including when the price is right), but which one?

The A77 felt like a "proper" camera, but probably has too many bells and whistles for my needs, so the A65 might be a good choice. Then again, I'm not sure if I could get along with the EVF.

The NEX-7 is a great size for travelling and for inconspicuous shooting, and the build quality felt superb, but is it responsive enough for my needs? Could it replace an SLR, and would I want the converter to mount my Minolta glass to get longer reach? And would the 5n do all I need anyway.

Perhaps after all I've discovered a temporary cure from GAS - TII (Technology-Induced Indecision). I fear the effects will soon wear off, although by then the A99 may be on the horizon. :?

Stewart
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

stewartjs wrote: The NEX-7 is a great size for travelling and for inconspicuous shooting, and the build quality felt superb, but is it responsive enough for my needs?
and your needs are?
stewartjs wrote:Could it replace an SLR,
mostly yes. AF speed apart (sports or any hi-speed event), the NEX7 have all that any photographer needs. Even a beautiful object...
stewartjs wrote: and would I want the converter to mount my Minolta glass to get longer reach?
It is a valid alternative. If the adapter provides the same AF speed as on the A77, other the ergonomics, it solves the lack of lenses issue.
stewartjs wrote: And would the 5n do all I need anyway.
If you don't need the hot shoe and the view finder, yes
Pako
------------
stewartjs
Initiate

Unread post by stewartjs »

Thanks Pako.
Essentially I want it all - sports action, planes, trains, automobiles, and landscapes, and wildlife. Wouldn't mind having a go at portraits too. And street photography could be fun.
Do I need it - a whole different question, and that's the problem with GAS.
Stewart
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Stewart. Your dilemma essentially matches my own with these 3 (4 if including the 5N) cameras. I so rarely want the fast AF that currently the Nex 7 feels the handier solution, but as you say, we'll have to see how it comes down in price in the New Year. But then, how far will we be from the next generation of Nex :shock: ?

My local LCE has an A77 in the shop window, but I am resisting going and holding it in my hands because of the (long) road that approach set me on with the A700. I handled the A65 briefly in Jessops today and it seems a tidy solution to getting 24 Mp at the most affordable price. Doesn't seem much bigger than the A55/35. Obviously still not a happy place for alpha shooters who need OVF, but for the rest of us it seems a much brighter future than in the bad old early 2010 time, pre Nex and A500/550.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Pako
------------