LA-EA2-like adapter for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc. lenses?

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: LA-EA2-like adapter for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc. lens

Unread post by bakubo »

peterottaway wrote:This would be of most interest to enthusiasts and some pros who are using Canon EOS 1 and EOS 5 cameras and Nikon 7xx and 8xx ( and some D4) users. So not a mass market but would be a definite threat where the money is per camera unit sold.
Maybe, but I see it differently. It would essentially be a universal mount camera, especially if the adapters were reasonably sleek and small. Please read my posts throughout this thread. And with PDAF on sensor there is less need for the SLT part of the old adapter and at least for Canon lenses there is no need for a motor and mechanism in the adapter to turn the screw drive in older A-mount AF lenses and no need for a motor and mechanism to operate a mechanical aperture like older A-mount lenses. Buy an A7II and then not only can you use various old lenses with the proper adapter, but you can pick and choose new lenses the same way. Like a particular Sony FE-mount lens then get it. Like a particular Sony or Minolta A-mount lens then get it. Like a particular Canon-mount lens then get it. Like a particular Nikon-mount lens then get it. And so on.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Perhaps. I am in the position to spend $2000 on a camera plus $500 - $800 on an adapter if I true want to. But with many even compulsive photographers that is out of their reach.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

peterottaway wrote:Perhaps. I am in the position to spend $2000 on a camera plus $500 - $800 on an adapter if I true want to. But with many even compulsive photographers that is out of their reach.
True, but we are talking about the A7II here. Most people aren't going to buy it anyway. To be clear, I am not talking about people who use their smartphones or people who use a relatively inexpensive camera. There are people though who buy the A7, A7r, A7s, A99, A77II, Nikon D610, D750, D810, Canon 6D, 5DIII, 7DII, and other fairly expensive cameras and lenses. While I don't know for sure I am betting that there are more people in the world than just you who are willing to buy those expensive cameras. :lol: Still it is a small number compared to those who buy a smartphone or digicam or low level Canon/Nikon/Sony DSLR.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I just checked and the current Sony A-mount adapter is about 26,000 yen or $220 so an adapter for Canon, Nikon, etc. probably wouldn't be $500-800, especially if it came from Sigma.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

You need to consider that a fully functional adapter built to what the buying public expect takes manpower, financial resources and testing / debugging time. There may also be IP issues if Sony wishes maximum usability. Photographers may accept grudgingly a minimal performance from Metabones but they would expect much more from Sony.

It may even be so that Sony can give some assurances about future performance that they may need to negotiate some sort of deal with Canon and Nikon. Not that I think they would be happy about having to do a deal with Sony, but if Sony were determined to go ahead then that way way they get some return.

Sigma has refused to deal with other companies in the past and they reverse engineered everything - this has lead to problems and sometimes doubts with the buying public. Was the tie and effort by Sigma really worth it ?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:I just checked and the current Sony A-mount adapter is about 26,000 yen or $220 so an adapter for Canon, Nikon, etc. probably wouldn't be $500-800, especially if it came from Sigma.
I just checked the price of the Sony A6000 and it is currently about 51,000 yen or $432. The A7 is about 118,000 yen or $1000. I guess if Sigma had a Canon or Nikon adapter and sold it for $200 then add an A6000 you would end up with about $650 for the total cost. For FF it would be more like $1200. The A7II is about 184,000 yen or $1560. The A7II is brand new though so after awhile the price will likely drop.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Prices have already fallen quite a lot on the A77 II give it a bit of time and it will be down even more
Not that I'm in a hurry to get one

FF well might be on the cards at some point but honestly, APS-C does pretty well even in low light for my needs not a lot to be gained bar use of the wider focal length lenses I have. We'll see what turns up next year
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

According to an article in Amateur Photographer magazine, Sony said they remain committed to A mount and are launching more A mount lenses. Just how committed is another matter and just how much these new lenses cost is also not fully known, but I bet they are more high end than consumer.
bfitzgerald

classiccameras wrote:According to an article in Amateur Photographer magazine, Sony said they remain committed to A mount and are launching more A mount lenses. Just how committed is another matter and just how much these new lenses cost is also not fully known, but I bet they are more high end than consumer.

All we have seen so far is some info on a few Zeiss updates and a newer 70-300mm G (a lens which was so overpriced anyway I expect the new one to be just as silly) the Zeiss stuff is as you expect pricey and frankly none of this is of any interest to me. What they need to do is sort out the lenses "most people" might buy and the gaps, but I can't see it happening but hey we shall find out next year.

I have most of the lenses I need anyway and have yet to feel the need to pay for a Sony lens, too many good third party makers out there offering "real value" and products Sony can't be bothered to make. Looking at the prices of their E mount lenses I think Sony are in the clouds with reality but Tamron and Sigma must be rubbing their hands in delight. Honestly I'd like an 85mm f1.8 and would consider a good ultra wide angle, there are quite a few lenses Sony need to update though a lot in fact and they're not really making any progress here.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

bfitzgerald wrote:Prices have already fallen quite a lot on the A77 II give it a bit of time and it will be down even more
$300 off the body plus free Sony battery grip included at B&H photo. I'm sure Adorama has a similar deal.
bfitzgerald

the_hefay wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote:Prices have already fallen quite a lot on the A77 II give it a bit of time and it will be down even more
$300 off the body plus free Sony battery grip included at B&H photo. I'm sure Adorama has a similar deal.

Not seen any deals like that in the UK at least not yet
Have a grip anyway though no doubt you could sell it if you didn't want it

Next year price will likely dump down even more
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: LA-EA2-like adapter for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc. lenses?

Unread post by bakubo »

I have read that there is a new adapter for Canon EF lenses that allow PDAF on Sony mirrorless bodies. Great! I don't know how well this first version works, but it is very encouraging! Along with the A7rII.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote: It is getting rather confusing with Barry replying to this thread in a different thread so I will copy his comments about this thread into this thread.
bfitzgerald wrote:There are consequences for ILC cameras with adaptors for other lenses.
Sony have not resisted this as the thread says, Fuji also actually put a few videos on youtube encouraging people to use adaptors (X system)
Samsung have not really embraced the idea at all though.

The good news is yes you can use older lenses (MD mount seem popular on the Fuji X's though you can get an adaptor for A mount manual aperture control though)
My question is this, if I buy an ILC and start using adaptors then it's not very likely that I'd be buying many of the makers native lenses. So long term it's questionable if this is profitable for the company which might mean they charge more for bodies.
bfitzgerald wrote:Henry it's time to visit your optician soon ;-)
I speak for all lenses in a general sense, but you cannot assume in any way that makers will support AF with adaptors there is no evidence at all for this.
And most likely it will never happen for many reasons.

What is amazing is that anyone would think a maker would embrace/allow AF with other makers lenses on their own mount. Did anyone do business classes at school? Naive assumptions about mirror less have been the problem since day one. If there was money to be made reverse engineering adaptors to do AF and aperture control (fairly pointless just having AF on it's own) on ILC models it most likely would have been done

Did it not strike anyone out there that maybe your average Canon EOS users wants to actually use their lenses mostly on Canon EOS products, and not on micro 4/3, NEX or X mounts?

Because it was pretty damn obvious to me :roll:
bfitzgerald wrote:I read the thread in depth. You are suggesting adaptors with "full functionality" that means AF and aperture control I assume.
My reply is as above "not going to happen" by all means keep dreaming, but it's not viable for a number of reasons. And even if it were then it would have been done already.

A few obvious reasons why
Cost of making adaptors, Canon have electronic aperture control everyone else is mechanical. The Sony adaptor you mention is expensive (nearly as much as a budget SLT body)
Second reason, if you want an ILC it's likely at least partly down to size. As most of these lenses are not that small (bar a few shorter focal length primes) it's going to be counter productive to that goal

The reason buying up MF lenses on ebay for "next to nothing" appeals to some ILC users is these are lenses very few people want (because of mount changes etc) and "THEY ARE CHEAP" (mostly) The situation changes quite a bit with AF lenses and lenses with no aperture ring (ie modern SLR lenses)
Anyone who want's to dump their DSLR/s and lenses would be better off just selling them rather than trying to use them on an ILC model, then hit ebay and buy up some of those golden oldie MF lenses to fill in the gaps you need.
It seems that from what I am reading there is now an adapter that can be used with the A7rII that allows PDAF with Canon EF lenses and aperture control. I suspect this sort of thing will get better over time. Sounds good to me!
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bakubo wrote:
bakubo wrote: It is getting rather confusing with Barry replying to this thread in a different thread so I will copy his comments about this thread into this thread.
bfitzgerald wrote:There are consequences for ILC cameras with adaptors for other lenses.
Sony have not resisted this as the thread says, Fuji also actually put a few videos on youtube encouraging people to use adaptors (X system)
Samsung have not really embraced the idea at all though.

The good news is yes you can use older lenses (MD mount seem popular on the Fuji X's though you can get an adaptor for A mount manual aperture control though)
My question is this, if I buy an ILC and start using adaptors then it's not very likely that I'd be buying many of the makers native lenses. So long term it's questionable if this is profitable for the company which might mean they charge more for bodies.
Well, I did buy the NEX5 and used only Minolta MD/MC for a while, until I start buying Sony AF lenses... Because manual focus is fine, but AF is better, and new lenses, even the less expensive ones, are better suited for digital.
I still use MC/MD lenses if I'm looking for that look, but In general, I use my AF lenses.
Of course, this only applies to enthusiast or Pro photographers, consumers don't want to bother with adapters and manual focus (or reading user's manuals)
bakubo wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote:Henry it's time to visit your optician soon ;-)
I speak for all lenses in a general sense, but you cannot assume in any way that makers will support AF with adaptors there is no evidence at all for this.
And most likely it will never happen for many reasons.

What is amazing is that anyone would think a maker would embrace/allow AF with other makers lenses on their own mount. Did anyone do business classes at school? Naive assumptions about mirror less have been the problem since day one. If there was money to be made reverse engineering adaptors to do AF and aperture control (fairly pointless just having AF on it's own) on ILC models it most likely would have been done

Did it not strike anyone out there that maybe your average Canon EOS users wants to actually use their lenses mostly on Canon EOS products, and not on micro 4/3, NEX or X mounts?

Because it was pretty damn obvious to me :roll:
I haven't go to business school either. I think Sony have their reasons to "open" the mount -for now. That give them time to develop a lens offer.
In the meanwhile, the Canon community is not happy with the new Canon cameras, and look with envy what's happening on the Sony technology camp. Canon can change chips on their next lens generation in order to make those Metabone & Co. adapters useless, but all those existing Canon lenses out there will keep working on E-mount + $100 adapters. I think Sony made a dent with the A7 series -I don't mean they are selling massive amount of ILCE cameras. But, for a change, they are driving the trend now.
bakubo wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote:I read the thread in depth. You are suggesting adaptors with "full functionality" that means AF and aperture control I assume.
My reply is as above "not going to happen" by all means keep dreaming, but it's not viable for a number of reasons. And even if it were then it would have been done already.

A few obvious reasons why
Cost of making adaptors, Canon have electronic aperture control everyone else is mechanical. The Sony adaptor you mention is expensive (nearly as much as a budget SLT body)
It seems that from what I am reading there is now an adapter that can be used with the A7rII that allows PDAF with Canon EF lenses and aperture control. I suspect this sort of thing will get better over time. Sounds good to me![/quote]
With the A7; A7II; A7R and A7S and Metabones or similar adapters, you can AF Canon lenses, but slowly and not necessarily accurate. I believe there are similar adapters for Contax (as Barry said, another all electronic lens system) lenses. And that's it. Probably some Nikon AF-G or AF-S will, one day, get their adapter, apparently not enough market for that yet...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

I'll add few "good" words. For now, Sony users (owners A mount) has big proposal from Sony! They can buy "soap box" a7xx cameras from Sony by price off top pro cameras, buy adapters for own A mount lenses, buy adapter for Canon lenses, buy adapter for Nikon lenses, actually buy Canon and Nikon lenses, buy some "not expensive", original Zeiss (start from $$$$) E mount Lenses and finally customers from Sony should be happy for big saving... :) LOL
Maybe use the shortcut? Just get original Canon or Nikon camera with original Canon or Nikon lenses? By simple calculation it cost less and a Canon and Nikon cameras not so bad... :shock:
Everything in the life unusual!