LA-EA2-like adapter for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc. lenses?

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: LA-EA2-like adapter for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc. lenses?

Unread post by bakubo »

As I suspected over 4 years ago when I started this thread it is happening. Sony bodies with full function adapters for use of Canon, Nikon, A-mount lenses. Also, a multitude of adapters for all kinds of manual focus lenses. Just saw this new article about it:

https://luminous-landscape.com/lens-mounts/
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

You were right, Henry. I think the A7 series is the most interesting thing going on in camera bodies right now.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: LA-EA2-like adapter for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc. lens

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:I suppose that since the Canon lenses all have a motor and the aperture is controlled electronically (I think the E-mount is the same, isn't it?) it might mean an adapter for NEX could be a bit smaller than the LA-EA2 since the adapter would not need an AF motor and wouldn't need the mechanism to operate the mechanical aperture mechanism that the A-mount uses.

It seems like someone, Sony, Sigma, Tamron, or someone else really could jump on the idea and make full operation adapters which would give the effect of the long wished for universal mount. We know how popular the existing simple adapters are that allow old MF lenses to be mounted on NEX using stop down metering, MF, etc. Being able to use all or most existing AF lenses of all brands with full capability and fast AF seems to me to be very attractive.

It is easy to imagine a later NEX model with a bit larger body, larger battery, and better ergonomics that would make comfortable use with SLR lenses. Imagine using any of your various brand and mount lenses and also being able to choose the lens you want based on various characteristics, but without much regard for which mount it has?
Andy, it took a lot longer than I expected, but glad that it is happening now. I look back on what I wrote in September 2011 above and see that it is where we are now, finally. I agree that the A7II line is very interesting. For travel I am still very happy with my m4/3 gear because I value small size and weight (bodies and lenses) -- just got back from 4 weeks in India -- but if I was more into other types of photography then the A7II bodies sure would be tempting. Fun to have flexibility in which lens brand to use and also all the old MF lenses. I could see getting one later. Here in Japan Sony (and Panasonic) don't want to sell to non-Japanese though so it means usually waiting until I am in the States -- and then if going back to Japan I have no warranty. :( Not a big deal right now since I don't have any real use for one.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

So how was the trip to India, Henry? Was it all all as touted it to be? Just curious.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Sury, it was a good trip! My first time in India. I think I wrote elsewhere before going about how the visa process has changed so it was easier to get one this year. So I decided now was the time to finally go. :) I was there for about 4 weeks in Rajasthan, Punjab, and Uttar Pradesh. I have copied all my photos to my computer and am slowly sifting through them. I will put some on my website, but it usually takes me 3-4 weeks after a big trip to get that finished. The legacy of the British made English common so that made it easier for me than in many countries I travel in.

By the way, what part of India are you originally from?

Last week I finally relented and signed up for PS/LR CC. I don't like the rental model and I was satisfied with my LR 5.7 + PS CS2 + PSE 9, but my newest camera (Olympus E-M10II) wasn't supported (except with the DNG kludge) so I went ahead and signed up. Adobe has my credit card number so now I too am just a serf working on the Adobe Estate. :lol:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Sigma now has the MC-11 adapter:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/mount-converter-mc-11

For Sigma Canon mount to Sony.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

More info:

Sigma MC-11 adapter is world's 1st to offer full range of AF modes on Sony E-mount

http://www.dpreview.com/news/8547380272 ... ony-bodies
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

That is so cool, will have to see if the price comes down, but it opens up a whole new world of lens choice on your E mount camera,
M 4thirds would be good as it would keep the lenses small for the E body
Sony must surely respond to this
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

The Sony LAEA adapters, specially the LAEA3, are quite cheap now. I suspect a new model that take advantage of a more modern AF on the A7x II and A6300 cameras will show up anytime soon.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

You would think that Sony would have to had developed a new AF focusing unit for A mount cameras to make an improved adapter possible. And yet apparently Sony keep on postponing the release of the A99 II or whatever it will be called.

Personally if I have to continue with using A mount cameras for a while longer, I would prefer an A77 III using the bits from the A6300.

I have gradually increased the number of FE mount lenses I have, so for me it would have to be a big improvement to consider a new adapter.
classiccameras
Viceroy

I have been trying out my 18-135 SAM on the A6000 via the LA-EA2 adapter, stunning pictures more so than on my old A57, so I guess that shows how good the A6000 sensor is. One problem, no A mount lens will be stabilised, so you may be limited to focal length for hand holding, at 135mm I had a few pics not as sharp as they could be, but at 18mm razor sharp. The New Sigma MC-11 adapter opens up a whole new world of choices for the E mount, as their Canon/Sigma adapter for E mount thus enables stabilised lenses to be used.

I looked at the Zeiss 16-70 for E mount and although it gives out standing central performance its a bit suspect on the edges, thus in my opinion not worth the cost, a Tamron or Sigma might be better, Some reviews suggest they are.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

More on the subject of this thread.

Sony Made the Right Decision

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/son ... cisio.html
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

classiccameras wrote:I have been trying out my 18-135 SAM on the A6000 via the LA-EA2 adapter, stunning pictures more so than on my old A57, so I guess that shows how good the A6000 sensor is. One problem, no A mount lens will be stabilised, so you may be limited to focal length for hand holding, at 135mm I had a few pics not as sharp as they could be, but at 18mm razor sharp. The New Sigma MC-11 adapter opens up a whole new world of choices for the E mount, as their Canon/Sigma adapter for E mount thus enables stabilised lenses to be used.
Is this problem now negated with the A6500 having IBIS, or does that only work with e-mount native lenses?

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dusty wrote: Is this problem now negated with the A6500 having IBIS, or does that only work with e-mount native lenses?
I assume the A6500 IBIS will work with other lenses just as the A7II series, A-mount, Olympus, Panasonic, and Pentax IBIS bodies can. It certainly will be interesting if Sony decided to cripple IBIS only in the A6500. I doubt it though.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Not sure A 6500 IBIS will work on any lens, as the sensor is not a mechanical IBIS like Olympus, its an electronic system that may need to recognise the lens fitted, early reports are already suggesting it may not be as efficient as the Olympus or Sony A mount system, We will have to wait and see.