Nikon 1 System

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Nikon 1 System

Unread post by pakodominguez »

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1109/11092 ... launch.asp
I think it will compete with the Pentax Q: nice little cameras that lot of people would buy if... well the price tag is a little too much.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Nikon 1 System

Unread post by Birma »

The specs seem a bit underwhelming to me. The sensor size seems a strange choice. Seems to say it has PDAF and CDAF?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

I think too, this is very small ... but probably more targeting to compete with Pentax. The price of the optic will make the difference. But, with small sensor like that ... they can invest to create new technology because of the "surface" investment. A small camera like that with a Sigma sensor like design will be probably adding interest to this camera.

But, for the moment, the NEX remains the best alternative to very good image quality/video and size.

I'm a little bit disappointed of Nikon on one point, with this tiny sensor ... they should have bring straight from the beginning very fast optic, like 1.4 , 2.0 zoom kind ... , they have the knowledge and the expertise to design things like that. This is were a small sensor can be compensate with this kind of exotic design.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Nikon 1 holds a huge business opportunity for the Sony Nex system.

Now that a smaller crop is effectively advertised by Nikon, the Nex system could well get some new type of 'cropped' lenses that could have their entire image circle fitting into the APS sensor surface. The 24Mp sensor is already dense enough to deliver the necessary resolution, and some small high-quality lens designs are also quite readily available from the enthusiast P&S 'heritage'; and they may be produced much cheaper than the bigger lenses.

So the Nex could get the truly portable small crop lenses and it also may get an orientation-independent image capture - just record the orientation sensor data into the raw files.

I repeat - this is a truly huge opportunity!
agorabasta
Viceroy

And I really do not see how Nikon 1 could be a failure, since it's essentially a pro/enthusiast compact in the price range of a regular enthusiast compact like some Olympus XZ-1. And then the Nikon 1 has many more pro-like features/capabilities.
Mind also, that already the much smaller sensor in that XZ-1 is very capable of producing quite DSLRish results being coupled with the very good lens.

So if Nikon plays it right, there's a huge success for them ahead. And then they may forget their abysmal regular compact line altogether.
agorabasta
Viceroy

BTW, a maximum round sensor area fitted onto an APS sensor surface equals exactly a x2.7 crop diameter... So the Nikon 1 crop value is not a random arbitrary thing.

Such a crop from a 24Mp APS would deliver a 7.4Mp 3:2 pic.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

agorabasta wrote:And I really do not see how Nikon 1 could be a failure, since it's essentially a pro/enthusiast compact in the price range of a regular enthusiast compact like some Olympus XZ-1. And then the Nikon 1 has many more pro-like features/capabilities.
The other day I was playing with the Pentax Q at the Adorama, nice little camera as well, but my friends at the store thought that, with that sensor, the camera doesn't worth 800 $. The Nikon 1 is in a better position because the sensor is a little bigger and because it has the Nikon logo in the front plate.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marcell Nikolausz
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Marcell Nikolausz »

pakodominguez wrote:
agorabasta wrote:And I really do not see how Nikon 1 could be a failure, since it's essentially a pro/enthusiast compact in the price range of a regular enthusiast compact like some Olympus XZ-1. And then the Nikon 1 has many more pro-like features/capabilities.
The other day I was playing with the Pentax Q at the Adorama, nice little camera as well, but my friends at the store thought that, with that sensor, the camera doesn't worth 800 $. The Nikon 1 is in a better position because the sensor is a little bigger and because it has the Nikon logo in the front plate.
This new nikon is also way overpriced and the IQ will lag behind aps-c and even u4/3.
It's not pocketable. The size is similar to nex and u4/3 cameras and the lenses are also quite big. No real size advantage over the competition and the IQ is probably worse.
Pentax Q doesn't sell that well. I don't see why would a nikon dslr user choose this camera over the offers from the competition. I read from Thom Hogan that nikon DSLR users rarely use nikon coolpix models. Maybe brand loyalty won't be enough to sell this camera.
agorabasta
Viceroy

I would be very interested to have some really small lenses for the Nex made so at expense of an additional crop.
And it really can be done.
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

Here's a pic presented on a swedish photo store today. (translated, hope this works)

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... Z4CXWXXGIQ
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
agorabasta
Viceroy

I must say that all the V1/J1 samples presented so far are of truly bad image quality. Hi-ISO or Lo-ISO - all are just watercolour mesh of the worst P&S kind.
So let's see what pans out of this. But such a poor implementation may readily kill a great idea.

P.S. And then, the early buyers of a77 report that the FW version shipped is the 1.02! What a bummer! Any hope for a good image quality with that new sensor is evaporating by the minute. I guess it's just a bad year/season for the new sensors...
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

a quick review (in Spanish)
http://www.quesabesde.com/noticias/niko ... ras,1_8021
I would love to have one of this on my hands. But I don't find a reason to buy this camera.
Pako
------------
agorabasta
Viceroy

Pako,

Those guys appear a bit too impartial. I'd rather have an opinion, be it good or bad.

Their samples seem to look better than the J1's from the IR. But for some strange reason their raw file links don't work correctly.
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

Sounds like you need to dust off your spectacles. This camera is only priced $50 less than a NEX-5n, which has more resolution and a bigger sensor. But the thing that really kills this camera is the 2.7 crop factor. One of the main reasons the NEX series and μ4/3 camera are so popular is the ability to adapt legacy glass to them. There will be no effective way to do this with the 1 system. Even a 24mm lens becomes a 65mm lens on this camera. That's pretty much worthless. So you'll be stuck using expensive nikon glass with this thing.

This camera will be a colossal failure.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Too Little, Too Late?
Surprisingly, Nathan Lee Bush from the Adorama Rentals Department use Sony as a paradigm of what is needed to do...
http://arcrental.wordpress.com/2011/09/ ... j1-and-v1/
Pako
------------